cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage VI Extreme, Freezes and no POST

YarithDE
Level 7
Hey there,

i´ve got some problems with a newly build system. Sadly no solution so far. I looked through other Topics here but either it was slightly different or the solution did not help.

I´ve got a good mix on error, most of the time it just would not post anything and show on the small display "HDD Code: AE", "HDD Code: A2" or CMOS Error. Sometimes though it does POST and can also boot after that in a system. But there it will freeze after a short while (and on System also restart). This does also happen if i for example managed to enter the BIOS. Freeze after 1-3 Minutes. Always.

Here´s what i tried:

Switching RAM Modules (also single one)
Using XMP or using optimized defaults
Removing everything unnecessary*
Changing Cables, output ports etc.

Next step will be changing the PSU, trying a different GPU and ordered a small RAM Kit from different vendor that is also on QLV.

If someone got any idea i would be very grateful. -.-

BIOS: 1503, used flash functionality also.
*Cheers,
Yarith**

System:
Rampage VI Extreme
Intel i9 7940x
G.Skill RAM 3200MHz (16GB Kit, 2x8)
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Different M.2 drives
Asus Vega 56***
13 REPLIES 13

G75rog
Level 10
After 35 years of computers I'd go for the PSU first.

I'm one of those nerds that runs the same GPU and PSU in mine and the wife's gamers while keeping spare PSU and GPU on hand.

G75rog wrote:
After 35 years of computers I'd go for the PSU first.

I'm one of those nerds that runs the same GPU and PSU in mine and the wife's gamers while keeping spare PSU and GPU on hand.

Thanks for the input 🙂 I will prioritize that then...truth be told, i could not imagine the PSU which could be a big error. Brand new and stuff...well, just have to get a spare one :)*

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
This can sometimes be caused by memory instability or USB device incompatibility, although you state removing anything unnecessary. As a precaution, reseat all memory modules
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
This can sometimes be caused by memory instability or USB device incompatibility, although you state removing anything unnecessary. As a precaution, reseat all memory modules

Reseated already. No changes, does not matter how many modules. That makes me king of rule out memory issues. But will still try. USB is disconnected...except the front panel connector but there is no device on it. Still i disconnect that as well later today. Thanks 🙂

Hopper64
Level 15
Are all power connectors seated? What’s the exact part number on the memory? Is it on the QVL list?
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Hopper64 wrote:
Are all power connectors seated? What’s the exact part number on the memory? Is it on the QVL list?

Power connectors all seated, all Cables changed.*

Memory...well no, that one is not on the QLV. *F4-3200C16D-16GTZR I tried it with only one module too in different slots. Same issue everywhere...still, not on the QLV ->*Got new one i bought yesterday on Amazon to try out today. That one is cheap and slow...but on the QLV. *CMK16GX4M2A2666C16*

I'm assuming the ram modules are put in the slots recomended in the manual? I have the same mobo. When overclocking I ran into those errors and each time it was ram instability. Xmp never worked for me. But have you tried lowering the ram frequency?

Hopper64
Level 15
That’s dual channel memory I think.

*https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16d-16gtzr
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Hopper64 wrote:
That’s dual channel memory I think.

*https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16d-16gtzr

It is. Tried it initially as such as well. Still tried it alone just to...well try it out. 🙂

I got an offer for an supported 128GB Kit but at the moment wanted to wait until problems are ruled out and systems boots up without problems :(*

Got the Corsair before me now and will test that out today. It is on the QLV. Second PSU is also on the way and arriving today so i can test that as well.*