cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed: Rampage V Extreme Boot Issue + memory questions

Counteragent
Level 8
Hi,

Getting a lot of AE error codes on QLED.

Don't know how to fix this.

But my main questions is I'm running a 32Gb Corsair RAM Kit but when I boot into BIOS down the right side of the screen under the Memory part it says capacity 24576Mb.

Am I missing something here?

reseat memory etc?
MB: ASUS Rampage V Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Edition
RAM: Dominator® Platinum Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2800MHz
PSU: Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX Modular
GFX: 3 x EVGA GTX Titan Black Superclocked 6GB
SSD: 2 x Samsung 850 Pro Series 512Gb SSD Raid 0
HDD: 2 x WD4003FZEX WD Black 4TB Raid 0
1234;
2 x WD1000DHTZ WD VelociRaptor 1TB Raid 0
MON: Dell Ultra Sharp 32 Ultra HD Monitor - UP3214Q
CASE: Silverstone Temjin TJ11 Black with Window Case
6 REPLIES 6

R5Eandme
Level 12
Counteragent wrote:
Hi,

Getting a lot of AE error codes on QLED.

Don't know how to fix this.

But my main questions is I'm running a 32Gb Corsair RAM Kit but when I boot into BIOS down the right side of the screen under the Memory part it says capacity 24576Mb.

Am I missing something here?

reseat memory etc?

32 GB = 8 GB + 24 GB (~24576Mb). Do you have an 8 GB memory stick that is defective or needs to be re-seated?
In AMI BIOS Q-codes, "AE" means "legacy boot event". You can have either a legacy boot OS installation (with MBR partition of boot drive), or a UEFI boot OS installation. I am not sure what it means when you get this code.

R5Eandme wrote:
32 GB = 8 GB + 24 GB (~24576Mb). Do you have an 8 GB memory stick that is defective or needs to be re-seated?
In AMI BIOS Q-codes, "AE" means "legacy boot event". You can have either a legacy boot OS installation (with MBR partition of boot drive), or a UEFI boot OS installation. I am not sure what it means when you get this code.

Hi,

I found an area in BIOS and it displayed all 4 x 8GB memory sticks, can't remember exact location. When I return home early tomorrow morning I'll remove all memory and try a reseat.

Yes I have a UEFI boot OS across 2 SSDs raid 0.

I found it under ASUS SPD Information:

all 4 DImms are accounted for?
1234;

Counteragent
Level 8
ok fixed it.. took out 2 RAM from the top booted saying only 8Gb detected... took bottom 2 ram sticks out replaced with top 2 and its booted fine.

Got some dodgy Corsair Vengeance RAM here. Hopefully covered by lifetime warranty.
1234;

Korth
Level 14
One of my R5E machines was acting up, too. Pulled it all apart, cleaned the contacts, everything worked again. Did the same to the other R5E, mobos are getting long in the tooth and already well expired on their warranty.

It's probably just chip creep. Or pin oxidation in the mobo RAM slots, not on the DIMMs themselves. But if it recurs then it might be time to look for a failing cap or something, old parts approaching or exceeding their rated longevity. I wouldn't blame the RAM sticks just yet, especially if you can confirm they consistently work properly in another (newer) machine.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
One of my R5E machines was acting up, too. Pulled it all apart, cleaned the contacts, everything worked again. Did the same to the other R5E, mobos are getting long in the tooth and already well expired on their warranty.

It's probably just chip creep. Or pin oxidation in the mobo RAM slots, not on the DIMMs themselves. But if it recurs then it might be time to look for a failing cap or something, old parts approaching or exceeding their rated longevity. I wouldn't blame the RAM sticks just yet, especially if you can confirm they consistently work properly in another (newer) machine.

Thanks for the advise. its more than possible its oxidation, PC is getting on it time and has a 1200km journey in the back of a car under its belt and RAM has never been re-seated.

I'll try some strong contact cleaner and seat these 2 DIMMS and see what results I get.
1234;

Korth
Level 14
I applied Stabilant-22 to all the DIMM slots, PCIe slots, and CPU sockets in both of these mobos when they were both new (late-2014).
Maybe overkill back then, and in my fairly exhaustive testing it didn't improve or diminish any performances in any way. But now, years later, it sure makes these slots easier to clean - a few blasts of compressed air effortlessly scrubbed them clean-as-new within seconds, no more dealing with little swabs and toothpicks, lol.

Alas, the stuff otherwise seems to have had little or no real effect on long-term reliability. Too bad I didn't leave one board untreated for comparison purposes.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]