cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My monitor wakes up randomly when PC oid shut down.

MarkJohnson
Level 9
My Asus VK278Q monitor keeps randomly waking up with the PC shut down (OFF).

I added an AMD R9 390 video card and it still does it.

I use HDMI cable.

I checked the website and no firmware for the monitor, nor any driver.

I also replaced the HDMI cable.

Any clues why this would happen?
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
Try unplugging the HDMI completely. If it still does it with no input then the display itself has a malfunction.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

MarkJohnson
Level 9
It still does it with no cables attached (except power).

Could it be some setting in the menus?

I reset the settings in the monitor in the menus and it still does it.

Any ideas how to fix it at all?

xeromist
Typically the only reason a monitor should wake besides receiving a signal is if buttons are pressed. Are these capacitive buttons? I guess if you have anything bunched up around the monitor, sticky notes on the bezel, etc you might want to clear the area to see if anything is disturbing the buttons. Unfortunately this may be an internal sensing circuit getting tripped when it shouldn't. I have a TV that would turn on & off on its own. The fix was replacing a bad circuit board.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

MarkJohnson
Level 9
Bummer. This is an old monitor, but has always done it. I thought maybe it was the old PC that was doing it (z68, i3-2100T, iGPU). I had sold it several years ago and got it back recently. I added a GPU and it continued, then tried your suggestions and it still continues.

I guess I just need to power it off after use, like the previous owner did. It's so old, not sure it's worth fixing (2010).

Thanks for your help.