cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIY: Strix 1060-1080Ti/Vega RGB Lighting/Under-glow fix for discoloration or dimness

TheLobsterHatMa
Level 7
Hi all,

I've seen some posts on here and other forums about the "under glow" lighting and side lighting (Republic of Gamers logo) on the strix card fading over time. This seems to be a somewhat common issue and has resulted in a lot of unneeded RMAs. The lighting on the bottom and side of the card is done through 4mm diameter fiber optic cables. There are LEDs on one side of the card which shine into the cables, and the cables light up the rest of the card with the color of the LED. The lighting issue is caused by poor quality side glow fiber optic cables used by ASUS that end up getting cloudy and discolored over time when exposed to heat. They eventually get to a point where light can no longer shine through and you're left with an expensive card with barely functional RGB (except for the backplate logo which is unaffected by this). The good news is that a DIY fix can be done in about 10 minutes and costs about 7 dollars for the 4mm fiber optic cables [LINK HERE](https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071G7YCS8/). Follow the steps below:

1. Remove the plastic shroud by unscrewing the 6 screws shown in the pic below (Three screws with red arrows and three with blue arrows)

2. Carefully remove the plastic cooler shroud in a clam shell fashion like in the pic below and disconnect the RGB cable noted by the green arrow. Be careful with your fans, the shroud has little "tabs" that stick out and can potentially break a fan blade.

3. You will see the fiber optic cables (blue arrows) and the LEDs with a little slot for the cables (red arrows). Carefully remove the old fiber optic cables and be careful not to break any of the plastic tabs holding it in place.

4. Get your new cable, and cut it to size. I used some cat nail clippers and they worked great. Use the old cables as a reference for how short you should cut the new cables. Insert the cables into the LED slots and then secure them with the plastic tabs running the length of the card. Make sure the cables are fully and securely inserted into the LED slot, otherwise the color could be off.

5. Reassemble the card and reconnect the LED connector to the PCB.

6. Profit!

That's it. Pretty simple, huh? Much better alternative than sending out your card for RMA. Good luck!
3 REPLIES 3

ahkid97
Level 7
How long is the length of the fiber optic on each side of the card?

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
I did find out also, a friend of mine have that issue. It seams that temps make that shorter. We order the same tube to change it. since is not longer since the tube is not making contact.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

I had the same problem, followed your guide, all good.

Before:

After: