cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pc motherboard speaker

Thomas_extreme_
Level 8
I need a good quality LOUD motherboard speaker from Amazon. Any recommendations will be helpful.
12 REPLIES 12

Menthol
Level 14
I have purchased several brands from different etailers over the years with no noticeable difference in how loud they are

Menthol wrote:
I have purchased several brands from different etailers over the years with no noticeable difference in how loud they are
Do you have any experience with these?
https://www.amazon.com/SoundOriginal-Motherboard-Internal-Speaker-Buzzer/dp/B01DM56TFY/ref=br_lf_m_s... How good are they? I have a Maximus x formula.

Thomas extreme gamer wrote:
Do you have any experience with these?
https://www.amazon.com/SoundOriginal-Motherboard-Internal-Speaker-Buzzer/dp/B01DM56TFY/ref=br_lf_m_s... How good are they? I have a Maximus x formula.
Is there a setting in bios to make speaker go off at a certain CPU temperature or if case fan fails. I do not see it in bios but, I know other motherboards such as gigabyte have it. I am wondering if Asus ROG bios has it I have Asus ROG Formula X motherboard. Or can Asus motherboards only beep at POST?

Menthol
Level 14
Yes these were the last type I purchased, they work the same as any other I have used, no louder or quieter
All I use them for is entering the bios, once the speaker beeps I hit the delete key, otherwise unless you watch the LED Q codes I would be hammering the delete key more than needed, and yes I can tell if I forgot to connect power cables to VGA card and the other common beep codes without looking at Q codes

Menthol wrote:
Yes these were the last type I purchased, they work the same as any other I have used, no louder or quieter
All I use them for is entering the bios, once the speaker beeps I hit the delete key, otherwise unless you watch the LED Q codes I would be hammering the delete key more than needed, and yes I can tell if I forgot to connect power cables to VGA card and the other common beep codes without looking at Q codes
*How do I enable the speaker? Do I need to enable it in bios or do I just plug it in into the motherboard? *

Menthol
Level 14
Just connect it to the motherboard speaker header next to the case front panel cables for start, restart buttons, etc.

Menthol wrote:
Just connect it to the motherboard speaker header next to the case front panel cables for start, restart buttons, etc.
*I know where to connect it but, after I connect it do I need to enable it in bios or something? *

Korth
Level 14
I doubt the BIOS has any options to control motherboard speaker. Especially since most people would basically only use these speakers for BIOS error beep codes, lol. At least no firmware/software options existed back when these speakers were built into every mobo and every chassis and the option was sorely needed.

You could always wire your own switch to electrically control speaker output. If you buy these pre-made mobo speakers then you get whatever you get, they're more about cheap and working than about specs. If you want something "louder" then you'll have to choose your own 5V/8Ω piezo/speaker parts.

You could use DOSBox or other emulators to get audio in ancient games which used this speaker. Otherwise there's little reason to have it at all, beyond troubleshooting mobo issues.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Otherwise there's little reason to have it at all, beyond troubleshooting mobo issues.

I've installed one as i like the audio queue it gives me, knowing the state of the machine.

OP, just plug one in and no there is no need to enable it in bios.