Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Ports Shut Down Intermittently

Roger3006
Level 9
Hello Everyone,

I hope this finds Y'all well.

All my USB ports shut down intermittently. They almost always shut down during a benchmark test and they will shutdown at idle. The ports are only off for a second and then right back on.

I am a photographer. I shoot tethered meaning my camera transfers 90MB files to the computer via USB 3.0 cable. It always seems to happen during a transfer throws a wrench in the gears. It is also unnerving when the USBs shut down while editing an image (brush) or typing. All my drivers, firmware and OS are up to date. The machine passes 8 hours on RealBench stress test.

I can't remember where to generate all my computer details. You will find the basics below. If anyone can tell me how to do that I will include everything.

Intel i7 7700K 4.2GZ ) OC to 4.9GZ
Asus Maximus IX Hero
32 GB Corsair 3200 Ram
(2) X MSI GeForce GTX 980 ti
AIO 280MM

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thank you!

Roger3006
10 REPLIES 10

Nate152
Hi Roger3006

I have two things you can try.

1) Disable the usb suspend setting

2) Update the bios to 1301

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

If these don't work, you may be trying to draw too much power from the usb port and maybe a self powered usb hub is the answer.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Individual-Switches-Included-HB-UMP3/dp/B00TPMEOYM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8...

Roger3006
Level 9
Thanks Nate. I have done all the above. Most everything goes through powered hubs. I have owned three Asus motherboards. None of them have connected well with a camera, iPad or iPhone. Forget charging anything.

I did a fresh install with Windows and also flashed the BIOS. Firmware is up to date on everything. I have had multiple problems with this machine and, in my opinion, everything points to a problem in the motherboard/BIOS. I am a photographer. The last game I played is Pong. I must get this machine fixed or replaced. Downtime is killing me.

Have a great day,

Roger

Roger3006 wrote:
Thanks Nate. I have done all the above. Most everything goes through powered hubs. I have owned three Asus motherboards. None of them have connected well with a camera, iPad or iPhone. Forget charging anything.

I did a fresh install with Windows and also flashed the BIOS. Firmware is up to date on everything. I have had multiple problems with this machine and, in my opinion, everything points to a problem in the motherboard/BIOS. I am a photographer. The last game I played is Pong. I must get this machine fixed or replaced. Downtime is killing me.

Have a great day,

Roger

Hi Roger,

Is there any particular software running when this problem occurs? You state it happens when tethered for example. This isn't typical behavior and I personally tether Canon cameras to Z270 ASUS boards quite often. Perhaps try disabling the Asmedia controller from within the UEFI and try the ports native to the chipset, and vice versa. As Nate suggests, you want to run with minimal I/O devices plugged in and see at which point the issue arises.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Nate152
Are you looking forward to playing some new games, what kind of games do you like? Alot of good ones come out since pong and the graphics will blow you away. 🙂

What I'd try next is disconnecting all usb hubs/usb devices, disconnect anything connected to the motherboard usb headers except for the case and AIO cpu cooler if it uses one.

Then try with the mouse and keyboard only.

If you've tried at default settings it's likely not a stability issue, let's hope it's a usb hub or device causing it.

Roger3006
Level 9
The problem is not software or hardware specific. The USB ports shut down no matter what is or is not connected or running. In other words, the ports shut down if everything is connected and running or nothing is connected or running.

I can set autorun to open a connected USB stick. That way, I can tell if it is going on when I am not working. It does not care. There may be a Haint in it.

FYI-USB connection to a camera was mentioned above. Something that eliminated my conductivity problem was the addition of a battery grip on Nikons. The battery grip gives the port enough power to stay connected. This has nothing to do with the shutdown problem mentioned above. I am also running USB 3 fifteen to thirty feet.

Nate152
I had to look up the word Haint, i didn't know what that was.

Haint = A restless spirit of the dead, for whatever reason has not moved on from their physical world.

So a ghost could possibly be doing it. 😄

1) Check in device manager for any devices that look suspicious or have a yellow triangle.
2) Open Command Prompt as an administrator and type in sfc /scannow (put a space between c and /) and hit enter. This will check for any missing drivers and/or make repairs.
3) In the bios - Advanced Tab, USB Configuration

Legacy USB Support - Enabled
USB Keyboard and Mouse Simulator - Disabled
USB Single Port Control - ALL Enabled.

Does this help any ?

Roger3006
Level 9
Good morning everyone,

All the above are as should be. The utility ran without finding any errors.

I reinstalled my mouse driver and video driver which seems to have improved things tremendously, but still not fixed.

Thanks again Nate, You help is appreciated and it is fun having someone to help troubleshoot. Two minds are better than one.

We will figure this out. I suspect there is more than one factor causing the problem.

Have a great day.

R

Nate152
Good to hear things are improving.

Would you have a wired mouse and keyboard to test with ?

Roger3006
Level 9
I checked almost all the USB ports. I forgot about the internal USB 2 hub that connects my PSU, AIO Pump and my outboard front ports. It is magnetic and sits on top of my PSU. Out of sight, out of mind. i disconnected it and the problem stopped. The strange part was it shut down all the USB ports.

Up until about ten days ago my monitors were shutting down also. Video driver would not always load which caused plenty of problems. OpenCL stopped working which all but stopped production. OpenCL would not work with five different cards one being AMD. Internal video did see OpenCL. That prompted me to do a fresh install on Windows 10 64 Pro which cured my video problem. I originally thought they might be related.

I was one inch from building another machine which I did not want to do at this time. Well, up until today anyway. Y'all will see many questions from me on my new build. I am starting to research custom loop cooling.

Thank you very much for your help. :cool:

R