cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I7-7700K Quickly Got Sick-Need a Cure

Roger3006
Level 9
Hello Everyone,

My system experienced a performance drop overnight. The numbers are rough but I think Y'all will get the point. Image Editing scores in RealBench, "Stock" or almost stock were 150K and time was bout 35". Overclocked to 4.9GZ my scores were about 165K with a time if 32". Out of the blue, my scores dropped to About 85K with a time of 65".

I am getting similar results with Cinebench and 3D Mark on the CPU side anyway. My Open CL scores remain consistent. I flashed the BIOS and went through all my settings and everything was fine. I am thinking I might have a motherboard problem unless Y'all can come up with something different.

Intel i7 7700K
Asus Maximus IX Hero
32GB Corsair 3200 Ram
(2) X Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti
1000 Watt Power Supply

There was a second Windows update today that changed nothing, I don't think, not for the good anyway.

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks, R
8 REPLIES 8

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hi,

Difficult to say, could be a number of things - but an issue with hardware isn't likely. Could be due to running before and post microcode updates recently, or background activity.

If it's bothering you, try setting up on a dummy OS and see if the score changes.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Hi,

Difficult to say, could be a number of things - but an issue with hardware isn't likely. Could be due to running before and post microcode updates recently, or background activity.

If it's bothering you, try setting up on a dummy OS and see if the score changes.

Thank you for the reply. I have done everything including a fresh install of Windows. Something odd, there is a test I run through Capture One. There is a 20 image export many of us use as a benchmark to compare apples to apples with our machines used in image processing. My time is right at 40" which is consistent. The process works the CPU pretty good. It may not be my machine but something funny about how my machine works with RealBench; however, other benchmark test are yielding a similar result.

This machine is used professionally. The down time is about to cause me to scrap it and build another one. I have also had issues with USB ports shutting down and then turning back on. I still have not figured that one out either. That is a much bigger problem.

I have had problems with video also. Screens shutting down. I thought it was the card but got the same result with a new one. Now I have two.

I am a photographer. I have not played a game since Pong. I also like tuning the machine to make it perform at it's potential.

My goal was to wait another year and it is more than adequate for the task. I believe we will see some great stuff in 2020 not that we do not have a lot to choose from now.

Does anyone know if Asus has a return program where I could pay them for a replacement board and be giving credit when mine is returned, assuming it is faulty? It is unnerving when your camera is throwing 90mb images via USB 3 and the ports shut down. I discover it when I am have way through my next setup.

R

Nate152
Hi Roger3006

Realbench can be a little funky with the cpu voltage. If you can pass the test but are getting lower scores, adding a little more cpu voltage usually corrects that.

I had a few suggestions for your usb ports, something you could also try is resetting to defaults. Run it like that for a while and see if the usb issue is gone.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105296-USB-Ports-Shut-Down-Intermittently&p=737403#post737...

My Realbench score with the i7-7700k, image editing time should be down around 20 seconds.

Roger3006
Level 9
Thanks again Nate.

Your scores are 50% over mine and I am running 2X 980 Ti. My total Realbench scores with one GPU were about 130K to 140K. The strange thing in this case, my Image Editing score dripped 50% without me changing anything. I have done everything from running the machine in defaults, fresh Windows install, changing video cards etc. That is why I have two GPUs.

I was not able to utilize OpenCL prior to the fresh Windows update. Tried five different GPUs both AMD and Nvidia. I am working on this machine more than my job.

Below is a ten minute old RealBench score. That is one of the better ones. I experimented with CPU voltage. Currently at 1.3
75v. CPU temp has remained good. The low Image Editing score remains relatively low no matter what OC profile I use. It is worst running stock than OC.

I know my learning curve is very steep. Please do not assume I know anything.

Have a great day.

Roger3006
Level 9
One problem solved. The only thing I had not done was un-install AI Suite 3, which I did. Below are the results.

There is still room for improvement; however, removing AI Suite doubled my Image Editing score and cut the time in half. No telling what unknown problems this software caused in the past.

What utility do Y'all use to control your case fans?

Where do I go from here?

Thank you all.

R

Roger3006 wrote:
One problem solved. The only thing I had not done was un-install AI Suite 3, which I did. Below are the results.

There is still room for improvement; however, removing AI Suite doubled my Image Editing score and cut the time in half. No telling what unknown problems this software caused in the past.

What utility do Y'all use to control your case fans?

Where do I go from here?

Thank you all.

R

Hi, as I stated above - background activity will have an impact. If you’re comparing scores with a fresh install with minimal services there likely will be a contrast. I wouldn’t get too caught up on chasing those numbers personally. *
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Nate152
My score was with Realbench 2.54, sorry about that.

After installing Realbench 2.56 our scores are similar and all looks good. In fact your two 980 Ti's gave a much better score than the Titan Xp, I'll have to investigate this. 🙂

My cpu scores are better because I'm overclocked 300MHz more at 5.2GHz and the cpu cache is at 4.7GHz.

I control case fans with the bios settings.

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
Yeah with a low Encoding score you'll be tanked
Only thing that will help that is a different cpu
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]