cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HERO X - Settings - Is it all good or not?

MonarchX
Level 7
I was unable to stay @ 5Ghz stable up until the most recent BIOS, which allowed me to play Witcher 3 for 4 hours at 5Ghz until the game froze and PC had to be restarted. Here are my settings in TXT and CMO formats. Please let me know if anything needs adjustment! I want 100% stability @ 5Ghz, not 4.9Ghz.

TXT - https://drive.google.com/file/d/14ZuyOybqP7fUDsYHQMUES8xqUlSZ2nCf/view?usp=sharing
CMO - https://drive.google.com/file/d/11gU7p6f_p6UE4y627KQlxIZzaEIqnu0b/view?usp=sharing

P.S. I am on Windows 10 x64 LTSB 1607 because it is the most stable and gaming-friendly OS out there.
6 REPLIES 6

seb0r36
Level 7
MonarchX wrote:
I was unable to stay @ 5Ghz stable up until the most recent BIOS, which allowed me to play Witcher 3 for 4 hours at 5Ghz until the game froze and PC had to be restarted. Here are my settings in TXT and CMO formats. Please let me know if anything needs adjustment! I want 100% stability @ 5Ghz, not 4.9Ghz.

TXT - https://drive.google.com/file/d/14ZuyOybqP7fUDsYHQMUES8xqUlSZ2nCf/view?usp=sharing
CMO - https://drive.google.com/file/d/11gU7p6f_p6UE4y627KQlxIZzaEIqnu0b/view?usp=sharing

P.S. I am on Windows 10 x64 LTSB 1607 because it is the most stable and gaming-friendly OS out there.

First off, you don‘t really want to test stability by only playing games. I‘m always doing Prime95, but other stuff like occt, real bench or blender can be used as well. Prime95, especially with avx and fma3 is just the most abusive and will guarantee stability in all other scenarios. I always use the latest version (you can turn off avx and fma3 via a txt file).

I also have another couple of questions:
- Are you delidded?
- What kind of cooling do you have?
- How are your temperatures like (ingame)?
- Did you monitor the frequency ingame? - > Is it stable?
- Did you monitor the voltage ingame? -> Is it stable?*

Also, some comments regarding your settings

You have some weird settings in there and I‘m not sure if you understand all of it. Also, you did not set the long and short duration power limit as well as the cpu/core cache current limit max. If I were you I would set the settings according to Der8auers Maximus X Hero youtube video and work it from there.

*A last note though: Finding a good oc takes time. If you don‘t want to do that, you risk instability or running the cpu to hot. Not every 8700k can do 5 GHz. Even for those that can, it‘s usually not the sweetspot anymore. That‘s why I am running 4.7 @ 1.184 primestable. I can do 5.1 @ 1.344 (non avx), but it‘s just not worth it for me since I care more about temps, sound level and power consumption.

MonarchX
Level 7
Aside from Cache-related stuff, what WEIRD settings do I have in there that make no sense? They are ASUS BIOS settings, I didn't create them... I do need to look into long and short duration power limit.

I don't monitor temps unless I run Prime95 without AVX, but Prime95 is way too synthetic and does not represent the kind of load games put onto CPU. The Witcher 3 is very CPU-sensitive

Specs:
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 4.9Ghz @ 1.36v | Cryorig R1 Universal Dual Tower | ASUS Hero X WiFi Z370 | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4 @ 3200Mhz @ XMP @ 1T | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Kingpin @ 2025Mhz / 11000Mhz | ASUS Xonar DGX 5.1 | Logitech Z-680 Dolby Digital 5.1 | Samsung NVMe - 970 EVO 250GB, SATA - 850 EVO 500GB & 830 256GB | WD Black 2TB | LG WH12LS39 12x | Corsair Gold AX 850W | Corsair Graphite 760T | 4x Noctua NF-A14 140mm | LG 32GK850G-B 32" 1440p G-Sync LED VA | Logitech G903 | SteelSeries QcK | Corsair K70 RapidFire | X-Rite i1Display Pro colorimeter | Windows 10 LTSB 1607-14393.2339 x64

Sure, all those settings are in bios, but you changed some that don't need changing, but left very important ones untouched. So don't be mad if I point that out.

Ok, those are the ones that especially caught my eye:

Xtreme Tweaking [Enabled] - You can keep that disabled
CPU Core/Cache Current Limit Max. [Auto] - You want that at max for a stable oc (255.50 or so)
Min. CPU Cache Ratio [44]
Max CPU Cache Ratio [48] - Might be to high and cause instability or lead to too high vccio/vccsa voltages on auto
DRAM Voltage [1.3600] - Should be fine at 1.35 for your ram at XMP
CPU VCCIO Voltage [Auto]
CPU System Agent Voltage [Auto] - Auto applies way to much voltage here (see https://edgeup.asus.com/2017/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/3/ for orientation). Too much voltage can lead to instability for vccio and vccsa. I have a similar ram kit (3200 16 18 18 38) and I'm using VCCIO 1.1375, VCCSA 1.1875, dram 1.35.
DRAM Command Rate [1N] - Does it default to that at XMP? If no, set it back to 2T. 2T is usually more stable and the real world differences should be neglectible.

CPU Load-line Calibration [Level 5] - Level 6 gives more stable voltage under load, with level 5 you will see some slight vdroop

CPU Current Capability [140%]
CPU VRM Switching Frequency [Manual]
Fixed CPU VRM Switching Frequency(KHz) [500]
CPU Power Duty Control [Extreme]
CPU Power Phase Control [Extreme]
CPU VRM Thermal Control [Disabled]
DRAM Current Capability [130%]
DRAM Switching Frequency [Manual]
Fixed DRAM Switching Frequency(KHz) [500] - Those are all best left at auto

Intel(R) SpeedStep(tm) [Disabled] - You can enable that
Long Duration Package Power Limit [Auto] - Set this to 4095 (max)
Short Duration Package Power Limit [Auto] - Set this to 4095 (max)
CPU C-states [Disabled] - Can be enabled

MonarchX
Level 7
AWESOME! Thank you! BTW, the Xtreme Tweaking thing - what does it do?

MonarchX wrote:
AWESOME! Thank you! BTW, the Xtreme Tweaking thing - what does it do?

It supposedly helps very slightly with some benchmark scores. How it does that I honestly don‘t know. There is no use for it 24/7.

Also I‘m intested at what vcore you settled finally — no rush though.

As a side note:*Most chips don‘t need 1.36 (especially with 2 avx offset) for 5.0. I‘m pretty sure your instability had something to do with the things I pointed out. 1.36 is also cutting it very close for no delidded air cooling.*

MonarchX
Level 7
Yeah, I need to get it all sorted out, but every time I ask about delidding people bring up nasty pictures, etc. I think I will wait and see if 9900K can do well on this motherboard before I decide to either de-lid and sell 8700K to buy 9900K. I hope Z370 will be sufficient for 9900K...