cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i7-6700K 4.6Ghz at 1.25v stable 63c?

Paul_Anderegg
Level 8
Decided to not use the auto O/C on my Asus Gene Viii board any more...because I don't like seeing the voltage go above 1.4v's, and my CPU temps bump up against 80c. So I read the typical manual O/C guides, set my cores to 46, left uncore on auto, set adaptive and kept doing RealBench until I found a stable 1.25v with LLC level 5.

Temps during RealBench are highs of 60c, with a peak up to 63c with ambient temp of 26c, and CPU idle temp of around 29c. I have a simple Cooler Master Pro 4 CPU cooler, which is set to silent and only gets up to 1400rpm during the tests, and my R5 case fans are silently whirling at 900rpm. Realbench scores are a lame but consistent 95,000-98,000

I am seeing almost no one running 4.6 o/c on a 6700k at such a low voltage? If I dip down to 1.24v I get a BSOD after a few seconds of RealBench, but 1.25v is happy for an hour of that, of geekbench, and the actual need for the speed, h265 Handbrake encoding all cores at 100% for over an hour. HWmonitor and CPU-z shows my vCore around 1.264 max. Power draw at 100% all cores 4600Mhz settles around 77 watts. Am I reading thing incorrectly, or do I have a happy chip? I bought this 6700K used on eBay for $200, and was a bit freaked out when it arrived, because the CPU lid appeared to have been reglued to the chip...had this yellow/clear rubber cement looking crap squeezed out onto the green part. Wondering now if I bought a delidded CPU without knowing it? I thought it was just really poor quality control at intel, or the previous owner ripped the lid off removing his cooler, and fixed it with Elmers glue.

Paul
2 REPLIES 2

Rob_W_
Level 12
It does sound like you got yourself a delid, being able to bench at those temps.
My 6700k runs at similar temps since deliding.
Well done! Nice price to.*

Rob W. wrote:
It does sound like you got yourself a delid, being able to bench at those temps.
My 6700k runs at similar temps since deliding.
Well done! Nice price to.*

Well, running RealBench longer, I was seeing once in a while handbrake encoding fails. I did several handbrake h265 LONG encodes and was getting fails with errors, so I upped the voltage to 1.28 just to fix it. It was just the Handbrake ecoding that was having issues, not crashing the system or program, just simply failing out with an error. I still feel good every time I see my core voltage steady at 0.1296 while 100% CPU 4.6GHz encoding an HEVC file for 3 hours. 🙂

Paul