cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Cannot OC" I7 8700K Problem??

Nickbrt
Level 7
Hey Guys and Girls
Its my first time overclocking on an Intel platform so don't blame me for any rookie mistakes (I used to overclock on the AMD platform)
And now my problem is that I cannot overclock my CPU, after I load the settings on my bios and save them I then reboot only to find that my settings have been saved but my BIOS reads the stock speeds and voltages, my first attempt was to see if I had an outdated Version of the bios after updating and restoring defaults I tried again with the help of my guides but still it would not read them and on windows information it would still read the 3.7 GHz speeds, although my AI suite would read the settings I had applied on the bios none of them would be actually applied. After the settings I applied ot even the turbo mode would turn on leaving me on sthe stock speeds all the time. This had me researching on forums all week with no answers now I reach to you to find me some. Here are some useful information:
Idle temps : 34-37C
3.7GHz stress speeds: 55-59C

For any other info comment below...
6 REPLIES 6

Nate152
Hello Nickbrt

Welcome to the ROG forum !

For a test, try setting the windows power plan to high performance and see if it sticks at your overclock.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Nickbrt

Welcome to the ROG forum !

For a test, try setting the windows power plan to high performance and see if it sticks at your overclock.

I already had it on the high performance setting but all help will be appreciated

Ma BOIS, I just booted on hackintosh (this stays between us) it detected it right away 4.9 ghz go back to windows it straight up fixed it if someone could explain because i just got mind****ed how this could work??

Nate152
Sometimes a good mind****ing is all you need. 🙂

I'm not sure what happened or what you did but good to see it's now working.

It's important to pay attention to cpu temps when overclocking, temps control how far you can overclock, 80c is a good temp to stop at. Intel says 85c is fine for 24/7 so 80c will give you a little leeway.

I use HWinfo for hardware monitoring, click the pic to make it bigger. My 7700k is delidded.

Nate152 wrote:
Sometimes a good mind****ing is all you need. 🙂

I'm not sure what happened or what you did but good to see it's now working.

It's important to pay attention to cpu temps when overclocking, temps control how far you can overclock, 80c is a good temp to stop at. Intel says 85c is fine for 24/7 so 80c will give you a little leeway.

I use HWinfo for hardware monitoring, click the pic to make it bigger. My 7700k is delidded.

thanks it is helpful now that i can OC i have to spend my time tuning it i am at 4.9 rn it dances from 77-83 running a stress test for about half hour, I will update you further with my scores i saw an increase of about 300 points on cinebench and I believe with some tweaks i can get a 5g OC at the same temp

Nate152
Ok sounds good !

Voltage is what creates the heat.

It's best to set the cpu core/cache voltage manually, on auto it will overvolt your cpu.

In the bios in the Digi+ section, LLC at level 5 or 6 is the sweetspot, on auto there's a good chance it will be at level 7 which will also overvolt the cpu.

After setting these, run a test and see how close the voltage is to what you're setting in the bios. The goal is to get the cpu voltage at or very close to what you're setting in the bios.

As an example, I set 1.440v and during a test it fluctuates from 1.440v-1.456v which I'm ok with, .016v is the smallest encrements it fluctuates.