cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Motherboards Missing TPM Headers?

btrach144
Level 7
What gives with only including a TPM header with the Hero? The top of the Extreme and Formula are missing a TPM header.

Why is ASUS making users pick between security and performance?
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152 wrote:
Hi btrach144

If you're wanting to use bitlocker you can use it without a TPM.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/6229/how-to-use-bitlocker-on-drives-without-tpm/

Nate152, thank you for the reply but sadly software encryption is not on the same level in terms of hardware backed encryption.

It’s really sad to see ASUS cut a corner on this. Every manufacturer should be considering security and safety as a paramount feature.

I likely won’t be able to choose the Maximus XI Extreme as a result. *

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
Intel chipsets now include TPM support. You don't need a separate card. Don't know about AMD.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

geneo wrote:
Intel chipsets now include TPM support. You don't need a separate card. Don't know about AMD.

I hate to be that guy but can you please provide a source? Trying to decide if I want to drop $450 or not.

Also, Z370 boards required a TPM header and nobody has highlighted TPM inclusion as being a benefit of the Z390 boards.

btrach144 wrote:
I hate to be that guy but can you please provide a source? Trying to decide if I want to drop $450 or not.

Also, Z370 boards required a TPM header and nobody has highlighted TPM inclusion as being a benefit of the Z390 boards.

My Code X Z370 does *not* require a header. As I stated, Intel provides PTT. My Code X has an option in the BIOS to enable it, which I have. It provides the TPM. I can't imagine the Formula doesn't have it, since the Code is a stepped down Formula.

My manual doesn't mention it either. I guess Asus didn't think t worth mentioning. Can't claim that all Asus Z370 and Z390 support it, but I would expect so, otherwise they would have a header 😄

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

geneo wrote:
My Code X Z370 does *not* require a header. As I stated, Intel provides PTT. My Code X has an option in the BIOS to enable it, which I have. It provides the TPM. I can't imagine the Formula doesn't have it, since the Code is a stepped down Formula.

My manual doesn't mention it either. I guess Asus didn't think t worth mentioning. Can't claim that all Asus Z370 and Z390 support it, but I would expect so, otherwise they would have a header 😄

I just want to genuinely thank you. You taught me something new. Before today, I had no idea what Intel PTT was or how it could replace dTPM. *nerd hug*

I just checked my Hero X and I have the option to pick from dTPM or PTT. No reason to doubt the new boards won't offer the same ability.

Thank you very much again!!!

btrach144
Level 7
Looks like Intel Z370 and Intel Z390 chipsets support Intel PTT. https://communities.intel.com/thread/114417

However, ASUS cheaped out according to their manual for the Maximus X Formula and mentions nothing about Intel PTT support.

Does not look promising for the Z390 boards either.