cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN Fusion killswitch for ROG GT - AC5300

frankd914
Level 7
Is there any way to setup a kill switch using VPN Fusion? Meaning, that if a VPN connection goes down for any reason, anything connected to it does not use any other connection.

I setup a VPN with Fusion and it worked for a while, but much to my surprise the machine I set it to was not using the VPN connection for I don't know how long, I assumed (wrongly) that if there is a rule that a machine should only connect to a certain VPN and that connection goes down that it loses it's connection, this is not the case, it just went to the default internet connection.

How do I make it so that if a VPN connection fails that anything connected to it does not use the default connection? I saw instructions for Asus WRT here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBLS7Wkn0C4

But see none of those options on my router.

I tried setting the default connection to a VPN but it cut off all internet access on all of my machines when I enabled it, when I tried to change it back it hangs the router's system and takes 10 minutes just to get to the menu to change it back, so that does not seem to be an option.
4 REPLIES 4

blazer5
Level 7
frankd914,
I have been in your shoes many times trying to upgrade the GT-AC5300 ASUS ROG FW upgrades. The GT-AC5300 no longer has the"FusionVPN"as a working function. The last FW version that had a working FusionVPN function was 3.0.0.4.384_20648! I am using my GT-AC5300 as a 2nd router behind a router that has "working VPN" because the GT-AC5300 no longer provides client Fusion VPN abilities. Sorry to inform you about that, but you have joined a long list of GT-AC5300 disgusted owners of this router that has everything except Fusion Client VPN ability with the last 3 ASUS ROG FW Upgrades!!!

blazer5 wrote:
frankd914,
I have been in your shoes many times trying to upgrade the GT-AC5300 ASUS ROG FW upgrades. The GT-AC5300 no longer has the"FusionVPN"as a working function. The last FW version that had a working FusionVPN function was 3.0.0.4.384_20648! I am using my GT-AC5300 as a 2nd router behind a router that has "working VPN" because the GT-AC5300 no longer provides client Fusion VPN abilities. Sorry to inform you about that, but you have joined a long list of GT-AC5300 disgusted owners of this router that has everything except Fusion Client VPN ability with the last 3 ASUS ROG FW Upgrades!!!

Suggest in regards to fusion not working with the latest firmware you delete your VPN server list and exception rules and start fresh, mine is working again with the latest firmware.
Not sure about the answer to the op, but I suspect if your Internet is set as the default connection then in the event of a failure it defaults back to this, possibly try setting your VPN client as default and the internet connection as an exception for the other clients?

PhatAlBert wrote:
Suggest in regards to fusion not working with the latest firmware you delete your VPN server list and exception rules and start fresh, mine is working again with the latest firmware.
Not sure about the answer to the op, but I suspect if your Internet is set as the default connection then in the event of a failure it defaults back to this, possibly try setting your VPN client as default and the internet connection as an exception for the other clients?

I've tried doing both of those (deleting all VPN connections, creating a new one and then setting the default to a VPN connection) The new connection works, but won't stop the computer from connecting if it stops (and this did happen) and when I set it to be the default internet connection I lose all connectivity on all my computers and it is a hassle to undo this change as the router freezes for about 10 min when trying to get back to the VPN Fusion page to change it back when I have a VPN set as default.

I looks as though I should have spent less money on a router as it seems like these functions work on lesser models, but not the top one for some reason.

EricTheRed
Level 7
I have been asking for this feature for a long time. *We need both, a kill switch and an automatic reconnect feature.