New ROGer Array

Why are there no plans to update the GL702ZC bios to accept new Ryzen CPUs?

I contacted ASUS support a few days ago and they confirmed that there are no plans to update the BIOS to accept newer Ryzen CPUs/APUs, meaning it is stuck in the first gen.

The ability to have a portable laptop with an upgradable CPU is a huge plus for the longevity of a laptop, IMO. In addition to being able to keep up with the latest and most powerful processors, it also means that you can choose one of the upcoming 35 W TDP variants if you want more battery life. Or maybe you can choose one of the APUs, and be able to switch back and forth between high powered graphics mode, or shut off the RX580 and switch to low power graphics mode, and boost battery life.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Generally laptops are sold with specific processors and not expected to be upgraded, even if it's a socketed motherboard. Given the vanishingly small number of owners who would ever change the processor it's not worth a manufacturer's time to validate new processors on a laptop.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    Generally laptops are sold with specific processors and not expected to be upgraded, even if it's a socketed motherboard. Given the vanishingly small number of owners who would ever change the processor it's not worth a manufacturer's time to validate new processors on a laptop.
    Except in this instance where the laptop generally costed about £1550 at launch and has desktop grade hardware which is supposed to be for GAMING (though its more of a productivity machine).
    Zen 2 support would be amazing (I don't particularly care about the Ryzen+ as its a minor revision and bump up in performance- Zen 2 would result in about 5-5.2GhZ across all 8 cores and 16 threads when stressed at 65W - that's over 45% increase in performance - which would be a major uplift on the CPU end - not to mention that the new BIOS would also probably improve overall functioning/efficiency of the chipset in general).

Asus really has a duty to implement Zen 2 support into this laptop as we paid good money for it.
    It would extend its lifespan by a GREAT amount (though admittedly its already quite powerful) and a 45% performance increase on the CPU end would vastly improve gaming performance at 1080p... not to mention productivity software such as 3d Studio Max, content creation, deep learning, etc.

And did I mention that the thing costed quite a bit?

With the two failures I experienced with this laptop (which resulted in RMA-ing it to Asus and them simply replacing the motherboard but NOT looking into the cooling design to try and fix that along with replacing the non-functional hardware), I would expect Asus to continue to upgrade this laptop's BIOS to include Zen 2 when its released... and unlock the freaking BIOS.
    It's a portable desktop machine... its ridiculous of Asus to treat its customers like ignorant people.
    Last edited by deksman2; 09-29-2018 at 07:46 PM.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

For a large company product features are a math problem. How many more customers buy a machine based on it being upgradeable? Multiply that times the product's margin and subtract the significant cost of validating hardware variants. So it's not a matter of whether some of the customers are smart enough to change a CPU but the cost to the company. So I wouldn't take it personally as they are considering consumers as a whole.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    For a large company product features are a math problem. How many more customers buy a machine based on it being upgradeable? Multiply that times the product's margin and subtract the significant cost of validating hardware variants. So it's not a matter of whether some of the customers are smart enough to change a CPU but the cost to the company. So I wouldn't take it personally as they are considering consumers as a whole.
    Actually, many experienced laptop owners buy computers with the expectation that it will be upgradeable (myself included).
    Besides, we're not exactly talking about a massive project here... all Asus needs to do is basically slipstream Zen 2 support into B350 motherboards that are in GL702ZC.
    They already have desktop variants to work with, so adapting them to this laptop is hardly what I would call an issue.

Also, people have a certain level of comfort knowing that their mobile hardware can be upgraded over time and will be more likely to buy an existing product without having to replace the entire thing in a couple of years.