cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E GAMING VGA error and error 68 or 79

illera88
Level 7
Hi,

I just got a new ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E GAMING along with a AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X Processor.

I've tried for two days to make it work doing all kind of tests and it does not boot up. I've tried just to connect the processor, a 8GB RAM and it starts booting but stops with error 68 or 79 plus the debug LED brights white (VGA problem). The white LED is always constant regardless of the 68 or 79 error code.

I've tried too using different GPUs and same thing. Tried with a different PSU and same thing.

I've updated the bios with the latest one (https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X399-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/) through the USB and the process seems to go fine (but I can't verify it since I don't get to the BIOS since it gets stuck before in the 68 or 78 error).

I'm running out of ideas. Is there anything else I can try or should I return it?

Thank you for your time.
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hello illera88

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Try different monitor cables and make sure the monitor is powering on.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello illera88

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Try different monitor cables and make sure the monitor is powering on.

thank you for your response. I have other two computers that I use with the same cable and monitor and they work fine. How could it be different with this one? Plus supposedly connecting a monitor should not be mandatory right?

thank you in advance

Nate152
You will need a monitor connected or you will get the codes you're seeing.

On the motherboard there should be what are called dip switches which can turn the pcie x16 slots on or off, make sure they are all switched on.

Nate152 wrote:
You will need a monitor connected or you will get the codes you're seeing.

On the motherboard there should be what are called dip switches which can turn the pcie x16 slots on or off, make sure they are all switched on.

I'll try when I get home.
Thanks!

Hi,

I've checked the manual and there are no dip switches (AFAIK). Here is the manual for my motherboard https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketTR4/ROG_STRIX_X399-E_GAMING/E13249_ROG_STRIX_X399-E_GAMI...

In page 16 and 17 you can see the view of the mb with all the components and I can't see any dip switches. Is there anything I'm missing out?

Thank you again

Nate152
You are correct, the Strix X399-E does not have dip switches, sorry about that. At least we know they can't be switched off. 🙂

Code 68 is no signal to the monitor, I've had this before and was because my monitor died.

When you get home, try all different cables your monitor supports, DVI, HDMI, Displayport. Your monitor should come with all the cables it supports.

If it still doesn't get a signal, try your gpu in the 2nd pcie x16 slot.

illera88
Level 7
I just tried with a brand new monitor and same thing. Error code 78. And when I change it to the pcie split closer to the reset button the motherboard died and know it doesn't even start up. It brights (with the fancy colors) since it is connected to the PSU but when I press the start button it does nothing or just briefly the code LED blinks red but does nothing else.

I think the motherboard is faulty so the best thing I can do is getting another one from amazon and returning this one unless something else you think I can do.

Is there any other motherboard you recommend for the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X Processor or should i stick with this same model.

Thank you