cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z10-PED16 WS -- Can't boot Win10 with hyperthreading enabled (dual Xeon)

konichowaa
Level 7
Hi,
for a while now I have been unable to enable my hyperthreading and start windows 10 .
When Hyperthreading is enabled in BIOS, it loads up to the point where the windows logo appears, then loads a couple seconds more, then reboots... in a loop up to the point where you need to recover, but then it still can't recover until I disable HT.

I can remember in the beginning when I assembled the computer, to test rendering performance on cinema4D with Vray, I was being recommended to disable HT for better performance, so I did some testing with HT on and off. It was better with HT off for vray, so I left it off

However I recently switched to Corona renderer, but for some reason now I can't get HT back enabled anymore...

The guys at the computer hardware store had no solution for me, and I really wanted to see if I can benefit from HT on such a powerful machine, therefore I tried posting here too... I feel like I'm missing out on 40 cores... 😞

Here is a quick overview of the components, built in 12/2016 :

2x INTEL XEON E5-2698 V4 14NM 2.2-3.6GHZ 50MB 20 CORES --> so a maximum of 80 cores with HT
ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS --> Bios latest version
8x KINGSTON 16GB 2400MHZ REG ECC DDR4 KVR24R17D4/16
SAMSUNG 2000GB 2.5 INCH 850 EVO SERIES MZ-75E2T0B
CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES H80I V2
MICROSOFT 64 NL WINDOWS 10 PRO 64BIT OEM - up to date
CORSAIR AX1500i
ASUS GEFORCE GTX 1080 STRIX A8G

now here is the mind breaker:

When i set msconfig > boot > advanced options > number of cores > unticked
I cannot boot with hyperthreading, so leaving HT disabled, then

device manager reads 40 CPU's
task manager: 2 socket, 40 physical cores, 40 logical cores
CPU-Z recognizes 2 CPU's with 20 physical/20 threads for each CPU
render a testframe in 5min54

When i set msconfig > boot > advanced options > number of cores > 40 (which seems to be the maximum in the list)

I CAN boot with hyperthreading enabled, but then

device manager reads 80 CPU's
task manager: only 1 socket, 20 physical cores, 40 logical cores (so one processor with hyperthreading)
CPU-Z recognizes only 1 CPU with 20 physical/40 threads
render a testframe in 5min41, yet somehow cinema4D and windows feel a bit faster

and msconfig > boot > advanced options > number of cores > still has a maximum of 40

I already tried clearing CMOS and upgraded BIOS to last available version
Also for now, I reset BIOS Settings, so everything is at default exept for the HT and boot configuration
Are there other settings in the BIOS I must change from defaults?

Any tips are most welcome!
Feel free to ask more info.
thanks!
1 REPLY 1

xeromist
It could be due to one of the Windows updates applied since you disabled HT. You might try Google to see if any specific update broke high core count systems.

Have you tried disabling NUMA? It's probably on by default but I've heard Windows sometimes has issues.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…