cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Case - The big move!

Retired
Not applicable
So basically I have my gaming PC in a case from IBuyPower. It is a midsized tower, but I think I can do better, so I am moving the computer to a full sized tower that holds many more fans, and supports large liquid cooling systems (it's designed for nothing but cooling and awesomeness). Anyways, I'm one of those people who are very tech-savy, but for some reason I'm just very nervous about moving the stuff over. I know physically everything will fit in the full case. What I am just worried about is that I'll move everything over, plug in everything exactly as it was plugged in whilest in the old case, etc., and then press the power button only to see a blank screen (obviously with the right switches and things hooked up). The reason I'm nervous is one time I turned off my PSU, and pressed the computer power button to drain power out of the motherboard so I could add fans to the case without getting shocked. Well, I ended up having to go somewhere over the weekend so I left the computer (PSU off and such) over the weekend. I come back, turn things on, and I get this EZ flash thing that comes up. After that computer restarts, but nothing but a blank screen came up which was something with the BIOS that I couldn't get fixed.

Basically I'm asking two questions before swapping PC cases:
1. Any opinions as to what may have happened with that old PC that I left with the PSU off for a weekend?

2. Any things to do to make sure the PC starts once moved into its new case?

I'm 16 so 1300 I spent on my PC is a lot more to me than a lot of other people spending that for a computer, and I know what I am doing with moving stuff over, but it's just those mystery things that happen where for a totally unknown reason things don't work.
12 REPLIES 12

pcjunkie209
Level 9
well sounds like your bios got corrupted some how on the old board. and you should have been able to hook up a usb flash drive with current bios to use ez flash and been back at it again..

second- shit happens in the stranges times but most important u should be fine just make sure to touch the case before u touch anything else and u'll be fine.
"I would rather be gaming!" Grunts-clan.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
http://Pcjunkiemods.com
http://c2cmods.com

Retired
Not applicable
Well, I couldn't even get to the EZ flash thing again. When I started up the computer, I would hear the fans running, and the CD drives doing their own little boot-up. However the bios didn't make a little beeping sound. The fan controllers never kicked in so the fans just went full speed, and once again nothing responded so I couldn't even get into the EZ Flash utility.

I had ASUS send me a new EEPROM chip, but that didn't fix anything. Then Asus replaced my motherboard (it was still in warranty), and it worked long enough to go into the BIOS before it froze 10 seconds later and would only get to showing the splash screen when I restarted it, and nonresponsive.
It's just a total mystery as to what had gone wrong with it.

I guess as far as moving cases as long as I plug everything up the exact same way it was plugged before the move then things will be ok.

pcjunkie209
Level 9
Are u saying the board that asus sent u back froze also??
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
Yes it did. After that I started up that computer and it showed me the splash screen and did absolutely nothing else. I guess that means something else is the cause. My guess is the processor. I don't think RAM would cause problems in the system before the BIOS were to finish loading.

pcjunkie209
Level 9
Ram can cause that issue, psu, CPU, or motherboard. But I say not board because u got a new one. Do u have more ram. Can try? Or try pulling one out and then try the other one. Trial and error.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

martin_metal_88
Level 8
Well, if the mobo botted fine at asus repair center they just shipped the same back. So unless you are 100% sure you get a replacement the board can still be in the game. If there is a PC speaker on the mobo and the CPU was bad, the board would beep like crazy. Same with memory. Try to look at GPU, PSU and mobo again.
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

Retired
Not applicable
Yeah. The problem is not with anything really. I mean, there's no beeping. The PSU works fine as I've been using it as a supplementary PSU for my graphics card in my new gaming pc. Motherboard fine. It looked to be a replacement mobo. It's like power gets to the mobo and other systems (mobo LED would light up so its getting power), but nothing takes over. No scripts start working to get the Bios running, and then to get the OS booting up. Because I think there is some other chip with even simpler code that is made just to boot the bios as soon as it gets power.

martin_metal_88
Level 8
The bios boot itself that why it's called a BIOS ( Basic Input output System ) It's basiclly the simpliest code possible. Can we have a complete listing of your system spec with model number of all part?
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

Retired
Not applicable
I don't remember what the motherboard model # is. I'll have to dig out the motherboard tomorrw or something, but it had 2 CD drives, a 2.2Ghz dual core processor, 2 graphics cards in Dual SLI, 2 gigabytes DDR, and a pair of 250gb 5400rpm hard drives.