cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the PCIE 16_3 on a single GPU config

Alexandre_ma
Level 7
The motherboard recommends using the first slot available but I would like to use the 3rd slot so I can see the ROG logo in all its glory.
Since they are both 16 slots I would imagine there would not be performance loss, but since the bios says the 1st slot is ideal, I wanted to know.
Will I lose performance by using the 16_3 slot?*
4 REPLIES 4

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Alexandre_ma wrote:
The motherboard recommends using the first slot available but I would like to use the 3rd slot so I can see the ROG logo in all its glory.
Since they are both 16 slots I would imagine there would not be performance loss, but since the bios says the 1st slot is ideal, I wanted to know.
Will I lose performance by using the 16_3 slot?*

Hi, there won't be any discernable difference between the two slots. Easy enough to test it if on air. 🙂
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Rob_W_
Level 12
I’ve recently been testing different pcie slots benching my Titan v and only found marginal error of difference between them ( test related difference) on the rampage vi extreme.

Encryption
Level 7
I can confirm this. I have to use 16_3 for my gpu since my case had limited room for the water pump. Didn't see a difference here with a 1080 gtx.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Your good so long as the slot you plug it in is 16x.*
The recommendation for top slot is because of the shortest traces.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein