cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s the Point of this software? (warning for use of Gamefirst)

barrettusa
Level 7
Let me start by saying I have worked in IT for many years and built a lot of PC’s for my own use, but not recently.
So, I decided to build myself a top end gaming rig (before I get too old!!), settled on Asus as my motherboard of choice and took delivery of my shiny new ROG Maximus XI Code Z390 a couple of days ago. After installing all the drivers and Asus software I was ready to get my game on!!!! However, as I tried to download my games I noticed that my internet speed was horrible, something like 16mbits tops. I could see in the Asus Gamefirst software all the network activity per app, I tried moving the PC to another network port and cable that I tested on another machine as was getting well over 900mbits (I have Google 1gb Fiber) and no change. Checked network drivers etc. and then started to think my new board was defective ☹
Then I thought, let me remove the Asus software as years ago all these extra bells and whistles never really worked, just seems to be great marketing gimmicks to sell more product…but hey its 2018 and expected things to have improved!
Anyway, as soon as I uninstalled Gamefirst which I did by removing Overwolf first (this got my speeds up to 30mbits), then uninstalling Gamefirst from under the Asus folder I was back to over 900mbits.
So my point here –
1. If anyone else is having slow networking I would remove that software and try again
2. Please can someone explain the point of all this horrible software and should we just remove it all?
3. Not sure if anyone from Asus reads these posts and cares, but if so WHY, WHY, WHY? I would respect and recommend your products more so without these experiences. At minimum you should have a warning that these apps will most likely add no value and degrade your gaming and PC experience
2 REPLIES 2

Goria
Level 7
This is a good question. I am awaiting my ASUS Code Z390 with 9900K and RTX2080, normally the first thing I do with a computer is reinstall the OS but this time I know I will need some ASUS software to take advantage of overclocking. Please can experienced users make some recommendation? Thanks for any help.

I'm overclocking using the BIOS - think I will also remove all the other software and just use MSI/EVGA for overclocking the GFX card.