cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL703GE - The laptop using battery while plug-in power.

thangphung
Level 7
Hi All,

When I playing a game with 99% GPU used, laptop battery is reduced while laptop still plug-in power. Is this the hardware error?
6 REPLIES 6

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
It is normal if the battery is discharging down to 95%, not more.

I have a GL703GM, myself and a couple of others have had the same problem. I thought i had it solved but today it seems to have returned with reinstalling Steam, CPU's seem to be overheating and battery draining. I had this issue playing counterstrike, I optimised the settings for Counterstrike in 3d settings so will try that again and see if it solves the issue, though may also be due to latest graphics driver update. Will advise once I've rest everything. But yes seems to be an issue with the laptops as they cant run on full settings without battery draining.

reverted all my settings back to how I had them last week and still now got major battery drainage issue, only thing that's changed is that windows 10 has updated so wondering if there's an issue that that has caused. THought I'd laid this beast to rest but looks like it's going to be a royal pain in the ….. nice to have a gaming machine you cant game on!!!!!

On the technical side when i run CS:GO now CPU temps are hitting 80C and battery discharge running from between 400mWh and 16000mWh

Anyone got any ideas?

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Not even reinstalling the OS will fix this. The EC chip is what controls it, and that's how it is designed to work. The OS does not control battery charging. You could try a more powerful AC adapter. I know it fixed a lot of issues for 502vs owners but I'm not sure if it will work for you.
Also, CPU running at 80c is normal for a gaming laptop. Don't worry about it unless it's hitting 90c constantly. You can try to lower the cpu temps by undervolting it.

so if i'm going to try a more powerful power supply I assume the one for the GL703GS should be able to do the trick without causing any damage, it's a 230W number, same voltage and designed for what I can see is basically the same laptop but with a gtx 1070 instead of the 1060.

Anyone got any comments on that? Appreciate any info as even though managed to get GS:go to run without power drain now having the same issue running f1 2018, which really sucks as I really like the laptop apart from this annoying issue

This just happened to me first time playing Cities Skylines. Battery went form 73% to 63% in aprox. 2 hours. JAZZYM. please let us know if you have tried a higher wattage power adapter! This is depressing: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88742-GL502VS-Discharging-while-Plugged-in
Today I uninstall battery health charging app, let battery fully charge, reboot, turn logs on gpu-z and core temp, play for 1 hour 6 minutes. Battery 100% not charging and all logs normal. ???? go figure. The only changes to this pc in 30 days are updates and the installation of CS.