cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Cooling--- Case, MB, CPU, etc...

kz9
Level 7
There has been a lot of discussion on air cooling since I have joined. Maybe a thread about just cooling would be a great place for people to find info on air cooling.

I know that cooling is one of the most important things that should not be overlooked.

I'll start off by asking a few questions about airflow that I am wondering about myself.

On my thermaltake case at the moment I have 3 case fans, and the H100. 2 x 200mm 800rpm and one turbo fan. These fans are in a config that I have one 200mm as an intake from the front, 200mm on the side as a exhaust and the turbo fan at the rear as an exhaust. The fact I have no fan on the cpu I am seeing MB componets having higher temps and I factor that as having not enough airflow.

So my plan is to add another two 120mm 2000rpm intake fans (bottom and front in empty 5in bays) , and also another set of fans on the H100 as a P/P setup. I am concerned that I may not have enough exhaust?

Should there be a balance of intake and exhasut?

Being that I do HVAC for a living I know that it is critical to have this balance in a building system, but a Case is not a building...lol

Also another thing I have noticed is that my fan on my chipset (Sabertooth X79) is blocked by my VGA. Is this going to be an issue? I know some will say just move the card, but I do plan on a SLI setup soon.

As for the 200mm fans, I also have noticed that they only run at 325-400rpm. They are rated for 800rpm but the BOIS says otherwise. These fans are a 3 pin connector on the CHA_FAN spots. Is there any way of increasing the speed of these?
7 REPLIES 7

houndazs
Level 9
what kind og GPU fan is on your card? is it a rear exhaust fan, or a case exhaust fan? also where is your RAD mounted for the h-100?

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
-16GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 2133MHz
-Corsair Force Series GT SSD 240GB
- 2x 3TB WD Caviar Black (RAID 1)
- XFX ProSeries 1250W PSU
-3x ASUS VE248Q 24" Monitor
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Xigmatek Elysium Black Case
- CORSAIR H100 CPU Cooler
- Logitech G500 Mouse

kz9
Level 7
My VGA is a Asus GTX 580 so it is out the back I guess. Not all of it does...lol

The H100 is mount on the top-underside of my case....

houndazs
Level 9
i believe that GPU has case exhaust to cool, but i am not positive. If that is true, then having your side fan as an exhaust fan is the way i would have also gone. if the fans on your GPU are rear exhaust fans (sucking from case out the back) then i would make the side fan an intake fan, so that the GPU gets fresh cool outside air. That is how my case is setup, and i noticed about a 3-4c difference from making the side fan an intake rather than exhaust.

as far as the fan speeds for your 2x 200mm fans, there is a speed control option in the BIOS that alllows you to set a fan profile for your onboard fans. I have mine all set to "performance" as this pushes the fans to 100%. there is a link on here explaining the BIOS options for different boards, what Mobo do you have and ill try to find the link for you.

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Logitech G500 Mouse

kz9
Level 7
Sabertooth X79.

I do believe that the VGA sucks from case and blow out back. Taking that side fan and turning it into an intake would then limit me to only one exhaust. That can't be good?

houndazs
Level 9
you have to remember that the GPU is exhaust, CPU doesn't require exhaust, and the PSU is also exhausting air. The GPU and PSU require cool outside air being pulled over them to keep cool. and any "hot" air left in the case rises to the top, and is pulled out by the rear exhaust fan. In my below setup i played for about half a day with my fans, and found that having all fans intake minus 1 rear 140mm being exhaust that i get the coolest temps.

Also note that the air being pulled from the RAD will be cooler than any intenal component, and also aids in cooling. My case temps are only 5 degrees fahrenheit higher than my room temp with my setup.

I just found this read. its interesting and explains why my "positive" pressure setup works 🙂

http://www.technibble.com/case-cooling-the-physics-of-good-airflow/

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Logitech G500 Mouse

All about your BIOS. Should be the same.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2585-ASUS-Crosshair-V-Formula-BIOS-Guide-Overclocking&highl...

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Logitech G500 Mouse

kz9
Level 7
Well I installed the new fans today except the H100 ones.

I turned my side fan into an intake and it actually rasied my temp on my VGA and other areas by about 3 degrees. Turned it back around and it lowered it.