New ROGer Array

Crosshair VII Hero / Ryzen 7, Ram Dual channel problems.

Hello everyone.

I'm the new proud owner of a Hero VII Board + Ryzen 2700x.

Sadly i've run into some problems with my RAM. I've now tried everything from windows fresh install to bios update and what not.

I've tested the RAM, and in single channel mode (RAM placed in b2 + b1) the RAM boot fine, i can tweak the RAM and all RAM are seen as available in both bios and windows.

However. If i place RAM in B2 and A2 (dual channel mode), the bios does register both RAM blocks, but only shows 8gb (out of 16gb) as available. Same story with windows, it registers the RAM, but only shows 8gb as available.

If i tweak ANY setting that is RAM related, in dual channel mode, the computer straight out refuses to boot, and gives me a memory initialization error.
    I can't even give the RAM more power without this error occurring.

I'm at a loss here, after doing some research i figured it might be the RAM acting up, since the ram where Hynix chips when i first encountered this, i then went out and got some "Ryzen compatible" RAM with Samsung b-die's on them, but the problem persist and it has not changed in any way.

My rams are currently: G.Skill Flare X "Designed for AMD Ryzen platforms" - F4-3200C14D-16GFX. 2x 8gb set.
    Last edited by Skunky; 10-14-2018 at 03:04 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array syldon PC Specs
    syldon PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus crosshair VII
    Processor2700X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 F4-4000C18Q-32GTZKW running at 3466 14-14-14-28
    Graphics Card #1MSI 1080
    Graphics Card #2MSI 1080
    Sound Cardon board
    MonitorAsus PB287Q X 2
    Storage #1480gb M2 samsung m961
    Storage #21tb 850 evo and 2tb 850 evo
    CPU Coolercorsair hydro 110i
    Casegeneric
    Power Supplytitanium 1600w platinum
    Keyboard corsair strafe
    Mouse logitech g700
    Headset logitech g930
    Mouse Pad corsair duo
    OS Windows 10 po
    Network RouterVirgin media super hub 2
    Accessory #1 https://imgur.com/KRQSu70

Have you tried increasing the voltages for the Dimms? Mine boots with a lower voltage at 1.32v. It is enough to create errors. I have to boot at 1.37v-1.38v. This gives a meter reading of 1.35v. The board is slightly out. There are some other settings to change the termination voltages and also bias, but I would try this first. I take it you have checked for a damaged dimm and any contamination?

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by syldon View Post
    Have you tried increasing the voltages for the Dimms? Mine boots with a lower voltage at 1.32v. It is enough to create errors. I have to boot at 1.37v-1.38v. This gives a meter reading of 1.35v. The board is slightly out. There are some other settings to change the termination voltages and also bias, but I would try this first. I take it you have checked for a damaged dimm and any contamination?
    i've tried with 2 different brand new sets, and if i touch any setting while trying to boot in dual channel it wont load at all.

The first set of ram i had i've oc'ed in single channel no probs, but they wouldn't even run stated speeds and timings in dual channel.

syldon PC Specs
    Processor2700X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 F4-4000C18Q-32GTZKW running at 3466 14-14-14-28
    Graphics Card #1MSI 1080
    Graphics Card #2MSI 1080
    Sound Cardon board
    MonitorAsus PB287Q X 2
    Casegeneric
    Keyboard corsair strafe
    Mouse logitech g700
    Headset logitech g930
    Mouse Pad corsair duo
    OS Windows 10 po

Have you tried increasing the voltages for the Dimms? Mine boots with a lower voltage at 1.32v. It is enough to create errors. I have to boot at 1.37v-1.38v. This gives a meter reading of 1.35v. The board is slightly out.
    I am sorry you are quoting me but not really answering the advice.

New ROGer Array

I am sorry you are quoting me but not really answering the advice.
    Not trying to be a dick here

Quote Originally Posted by Skunky View Post
    If i tweak ANY setting that is RAM related, in dual channel mode, the computer straight out refuses to boot, and gives me a memory initialization error.
    I can't even give the RAM more power without this error occurring.
    I've tried all the way close to 1.5v, tried to give them more boot vram and what not.

syldon PC Specs
    Processor2700X
    Graphics Card #1MSI 1080
    Graphics Card #2MSI 1080
    Sound Cardon board
    MonitorAsus PB287Q X 2
    Casegeneric
    Keyboard corsair strafe
    Mouse logitech g700
    Headset logitech g930
    Mouse Pad corsair duo
    OS Windows 10 po

Quote Originally Posted by Skunky View Post
    Not trying to be a dick here

I've tried all the way close to 1.5v, tried to give them more boot vram and what not.
    It looks a bit like you have a dodgy slot. This could also be down to a poor bios revision.

Use a clean flashing method.
    That means remove all components from the board. Only connect power cables before starting the flashback process. That is with no CPU, memory or GPU.
    Remove the power cable from the PSU.
    Reset bios to default by removing the Cmos battery for five minutes with the power cable out.
    Flashback one time, and then reset bios to defaults by removing the battery again.
    Flashback a second time.

Check the contacts of the memory and CPU before you reinstall them. If you are still getting the same issues, then contact Asus support for an RMA.

New ROGer Array tunst PC Specs
    tunst PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Non WIFI)
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ 4.3 GHz with 1.37 v
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14D-16 GFX, 16 GB (2x8) G Skill Flare X 3200 @ 3400 MHz timings: 14, 14,14,14, 34,48...1T
    Graphics Card #1GIGABYTE GTX1080 G1 8GB PCIE RGB
    Sound CardN/A, on motherboard with Bose speakers
    MonitorLG 34UC80-B 34-Inch 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD IPS Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD
    Storage #2WD Blue 3 TB
    CPU CoolerEKWB Supremacy EVO AMD RGB water block
    CaseExteded Mountain Ascension CYO Mirror Black
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 1300 Watt
    Keyboard Logitech MK710
    Mouse Logitech M720
    Mouse Pad TOWWI Leather Desk Pad Protector 36”x17” Desk Blotter Pad
    OS MS Windows 10 Pro / Arch Linux / Debian Linux
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk

TEst the motherboard and ram to see which has the defect

It looks a bit like you have a dodgy slot. This could also be down to a poor bios revision.

Use a clean flashing method.
    That means remove all components from the board. Only connect power cables before starting the flashback process. That is with no CPU, memory or GPU.
    Remove the power cable from the PSU.
    Reset bios to default by removing the Cmos battery for five minutes with the power cable out.
    Flashback one time, and then reset bios to defaults by removing the battery again.
    Flashback a second time.

Check the contacts of the memory and CPU before you reinstall them. If you are still getting the same issues, then contact Asus support for an RMA.

I would also recommend testing if there is an issue with the motherboard or the ram.

1. Test the motherboard; put different ram sticks in the motherboard to see if it boots properly. If it the motherboard boots properly then it is a ram issue then RMA the ram.
    2. Test the ram; Place the ram in a different motherboard to see if the other known system boots up properly with the ram. If the ram boots up properly then it should be the a motherboard issue.

3. I would check my processor for bent pins just a good to do check.