cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Hero - USB 3.0 issue

videodj
Level 7
Hi

I have just finished my new build, however I have an issue with the rear usb 3.0 ports. I have a usb 3.0 enclosure attached to one of the ports and the transfer speeds are only between 20 and 30 MB/s. If I attach the same enclosure to my front usb ports, which are connected to the motherboard header, I get 120 MB/s as expected and as I saw on my previous P8P67 Deluxe. I have updated the drivers, but I'm at a loss as to the poor performance of the rear ports.

Asus Maximus X Hero
Corsair Vengenance Pro RGB - 32GB
i7 8700K
Asus Strix Vega 64
Corsair RMi 850
Corsair H115i Pro RGB
Samsung Evo 970 Nvme M2
Samsung Evo 860

Has anyone else had similar issues or any ideas on how to resolve?
4 REPLIES 4

Nate152
Hi videodj

Welcome to the ROG forum.

First two things I'd try is...

1) Update the chipset driver
2) Update the bios

Get these at the ASUS Support Center, select your operating system.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

Thanks, I've already updated the Bios to the latest version.

I'll try the chipset drivers later when I get home from work. I usually only install them if there are exclamation marks in device manager

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
When you plug it in the back, go to the device manager -> disk drives, find the drive, look at the properties -> policies and make sure it is set to "Better Performance"

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

So I enable better performance while the drive was attached to the front ports and speeds went upto ~200Mb, which is good. I updated the chipset drivers and rebooted and plugged the drive into the rear port again and speeds are now the same as the front ports.

Thanks for your help.