cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-AC5300 random reboots

Zaoxen
Level 7
I have strange issue with GT-AC5300. It restarts itself randomly on daily basis. Sometimes it's few times a day but can be once a week also. No rule here. Doesn't matter if traffic is high or low. I'm trying to figure this out since April without success. I've used every stable firmware since then.

Sent it already for warranty repair and got new device. Now I'm pretty sure it's software issue.

Tried enabling/disabling different features: QoS, Traffic Analyzer, Traffic Monitor, VPN server, Smart Connect, Jumbo Frame, etc. Like them all and want to keep enabled. I also use asucomm.com DDNS domain. I've done many clean Initializations and entered configuration manually.

My network:
- about 12 devices connected via wire (additional LAN switch) - PCs, 2xNAS, TV, PS4, SteamLink, etc.
- about 20 Wi-Fi devices (2,4 and 5GHz bands) - Laptops, tablets, phones, kindle
- no USB devices

On same network RT-AC68U worked like a charm. Very stable and fast. Changed for GT-AC5300 for extended Wi-Fi range. Already sold AC68U and there's no going back.

Issue appears in steps:
- router slows down, 1 or 2 CPU cores are utilized at 100%, web UI becomes very slow and unresponsive, LAN and Wi-Fi works (10-20 minutes)
- all wireless clients are disconnected, LAN still works (about 5 minutes)
- router reboots automatically (about 2 minutes)

Recently I've discovered that "/usr/sbin/acsd" utilizes one core at 100% and sometimes "nas" proces utilizes second core.

I've also found that ACSD service was disabled on some devices like here: https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OsJZw4CSdzM/U8IBgxOzDAI/AAAAAAAAAdc/UqNMQO97yoE/s1600/rem.png

Is it a known issue? Can I do something with that? Will it be addressed in future firmwares?
18 REPLIES 18

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you are using a switch, avoid the Game ports (1&2) and Link Aggregation ports (5&6).
Possible to check the router's stability when only one client is connected?
If not stable, disconnect and change the client to see if you have found the issue.
If fine, add more clients one by one.

I have roughly the same number of clients as you and I also use a switch (16-port) plus a surveillance system that records 24/7, so I know the number of clients shouldn't be the issue here.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
If you are using a switch, avoid the Game ports (1&2) and Link Aggregation ports (5&6).
Possible to check the router's stability when only one client is connected?
If not stable, disconnect and change the client to see if you have found the issue.
If fine, add more clients one by one.

I have roughly the same number of clients as you and I also use a switch (16-port) plus a surveillance system that records 24/7, so I know the number of clients shouldn't be the issue here.

I've already removed suspicious devices from my network and second switch. Today I've changed LAN ports connections as you suggested. I plugged NAS devices to 5&6 and Desktop PC to 1, switch is now on port 7.

Unfortunately I can't test devices one by one. Longest no-reboot period was about 17 days so I should test every configuration for at least one month to be sure.
Family won't allow these tests. So far I have almost 2 days without reboot.

Can you provide some details about that Broadcom ACSD service? Is it Wi-Fi related or LAN? So far I'm removing only LAN clients but maybe I should test also Wi-Fi devices?.

Ok, a little update on that case.

I've removed significant amount of devices. Now I have 4 LAN devices (2xPC + 2xNAS) and 5 Wi-Fi devices (laptop, 2xPhone, 2xTablet).
Removed additional switch.
Smart Connect enabled.
Asuscomm.com DDNDs domain + Let's Encrypt certificate.
Traditional QoS, Traffic Analyzer, Traffic Monitor enabled.

I get longest uptime after initialization and entering settings (few days). After first reboot issue appears more often.

Last few times it happened after router not beeing used for few hours, i.e. at mornig when I want to check news on my phone or when returning from work and turn on a laptop. SSID is still broadcasted but I get authentication error, router slows down and reboots after 30 minutes.
Never happened at night when not being used (I monitor uptime on daily basis).

It looks like some kind of buffer overflow, memory leak or some services not waking up after being put to sleep.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you only have 4 LAN devices, try moving them to ports 3,4,7,8 to see if the clients on the game and link aggregation ports are causing the issue.

Used only 3,4,7,8 ports but that didn't help. Issue appeared again.

EDIT:

Router just started slowing down again so I did:
- killed ACSD service - CPU utilization went to 0%
- unplugged all LAN devices except one PC
- disabled DDNS
- unplugged WAN
- disabled Wi-Fi radios

At the end there was only 1 active device connected to router (port 3). It was still very slow (web ui) and didn't regain it's stability.

I ended up rebooting it manually and plugging back WAN and enabling Wi-Fi.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Are you using VPN or VPN Fusion?

I had VPN Server set up but didn't use it. Now it's disabled.
VPN Fusion never worked for me, tried PPTP and OpenVPN. State was always disconnected.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Zaoxen wrote:
I had VPN Server set up but didn't use it. Now it's disabled.
VPN Fusion never worked for me, tried PPTP and OpenVPN. State was always disconnected.

Do you remember how many servers you tried?

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Do you remember how many servers you tried?

Just one that I was interested in.