cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable USB charging while turned off?

Zapix
Level 7
I've noticed that some USB devices don't turn off when the PC is turned off. Didn't have this issue with my Rampage V Extreme. In particular, my G900 mouse stays on (RGB light stays on) and a USB LED strip behind the monitor won't go out.

Tried googling, but I can't find anything useful.
The original and only Zapix™, since 1992! Accept NO imitations.
6 REPLIES 6

G75rog
Level 10
Turn off the power switch on the PSU. Read your manual.

G75rog wrote:
Turn off the power switch on the PSU. Read your manual.

Congratulations. you've won the prize for most unhelpful and arrogant answer on ASUS.com. You're prize is a smack up-side the face. Now crawl back into your mom's basement and F'off.

Zapix
Level 7
Why stop there, I could simply cut the power to the house. I have 2 other PCs that never needed to be killed at the switch.

G75rog
Level 10
My old Rampage doesn't have all the bells, whistles and features my new one has.

Turning off the PSU was just a simple solution.

G75rog wrote:
My old Rampage doesn't have all the bells, whistles and features my new one has.

Turning off the PSU was just a simple solution.

I've looked all over the BIOS settings, and the only thing I find for USB is to disable it entirely. Can't find anything in Windows 10 settings either. It seems completely inane to lack a setting that cuts power off to the USB ports when the system is turned off.

It's a simple solution, yes, but one does not simply reach behind a 1000D to hit the power switch on the PSU! Easier is to simply unplug the mouse and turn off the monitor. That said, I'm going see if there's anything within AI Suite 3 that'll turn it off. What a simple problem to have on a $650 motherboard.

UPDATE (10/18/2018): Nope, not a single USB option in AIS3 for the R6E. ... Great upgrade! #sarcasm

Well, found something of a solution. From what I read, the psu might be the cause. Mine being a Corsair AX1600i. First thing was to enable ErP. This can be done in the BIOS under Advanced - APM Configuration. This alone didn't solve the problem though. This also ends up disabling the RGB on the board.

Mouse staying on I fixed by running the device profile via the PC instead of onboard memory. Thought I had found a solution by changing the USB port the monitor expansion was going to, but alas, I was wrong. I swapped some USB ports around so that the LED strip is directly connected instead of through the monitor. Problem solved.

izzyreb02
Level 9
From what Zapix said. Is to put S4 & S5 disabled in the APM configuration and then go back to the RGB light effects and re enabled them, as well the onboard section. So the lights will turn on when the PC is on and if you like the lights off when the PC is off, you can do that also.

I done that step so the lights stay off when the PC is turned off.