cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Random Reboots No BSOD/Sometimes Won't Post

Wingwizard
Level 7
Hi there,

I've been experiencing a very troublesome issue for almost a year now. I upgraded to the Ryzen platform with Windows 10 from an AM3 platform with Windows 7, and I've been encountering random reboots (sometimes it will POST, but most of the time it won't).

It happens when I'm playing games, working in music software, browsing the internet, or just idle. I've kept my system on overnight, while disabling certain startup services, but no success. The only successful time it hasn't rebooted is when I kept it idle in the BIOS.

I've tried replacing the PSU, RAM, GPU, and the motherboard (same model). I've tried reinstalling Windows, updating the BIOS and other drivers as well. Still no luck. I'm almost certain it's a faulty CPU. I told a local technician about this and inquired about the CPU, but he said there's no way and it's probably the motherboard.

If I could get some help regarding this issue, I would be so happy. Thank you.

Current system specs:

Windows 10
Ryzen 1600
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8gb 3000mhz
ASUS Strix b350-f
EVGA GTX 1070ti SC Gaming
EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold

Swapped parts:

ASUS Strix b350-f
GSKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8gb 3000mhz (this wasn't on the motherboard QVL list, so I thought it was causing instability)
EVGA GTX 960 (needed to replace since it started pixelating and artifact ting)
HEC Zephyr MX 750W 80+
17 REPLIES 17

Wingwizard
Level 7
Still looking for a solution. Anything helps.

Vlada011
Level 10
When you experience reboot problem do you hear like someone turn off PSU on switch button and no power on motherboard for moment and than power back and PC boot or instantly only restart and power is all the time on motherboard.

Vlada011 wrote:
When you experience reboot problem do you hear like someone turn off PSU on switch button and no power on motherboard for moment and than power back and PC boot or instantly only restart and power is all the time on motherboard.

Power never drops. When it POSTs the motherboard indicator light goes from red to green, but when it doesn't POST those lights never light up.

Wingwizard wrote:
Power never drops. When it POSTs the motherboard indicator light goes from red to green, but when it doesn't POST those lights never light up.

If there are no indicator lamps lit at all when it doesn't POST, that suggests to me a power supply problem. Maybe there is an intermittent power cable. I would try re-seating all power cables to the motherboard, including the I/O panel cables. Next you could try to test the power supply or replace with a known good one.

R5Eandme wrote:
If there are no indicator lamps lit at all when it doesn't POST, that suggests to me a power supply problem. Maybe there is an intermittent power cable. I would try re-seating all power cables to the motherboard, including the I/O panel cables. Next you could try to test the power supply or replace with a known good one.

The bottom most indicator lamp and the RGB light both stay lit. Something may be seated incorrectly, but I doubt it's a psu problem because the previous psu worked fine with the previous build. I didn't start having issues until I switched platforms and OS.

Wingwizard wrote:
The bottom most indicator lamp and the RGB light both stay lit. Something may be seated incorrectly, but I doubt it's a psu problem because the previous psu worked fine with the previous build. I didn't start having issues until I switched platforms and OS.

Sorry it is not as simple as a new PSU. You've tried a lot of approaches, maybe it is the CPU after all.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Process of elimination I guess. You have swapped out everything but the processor.

So if you can get hold of a processor from a mate to compare that will answer any doubts about where the issue lies.

Does happen that a processor is not perfect, rare but does happen.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Something else I tried was disabling all startup services, since some drivers and programs can cause conflict. I didn't have any reboots after doing so, but I forgot to do process of elimination that way. I just installed a new m.2 drive and will be attempting a similar strategy by installing drivers and programs over time. So far I haven't had any issues.

Are there any known issues with drivers, programs, or bios acting funky with the ryzen platform?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Random reboots can be related to memory instability. Have you checked your crash dumps? The fact the system is failing to POST after rebooting can also point to the same thing.

You can check memory stability with HCI Memtest. Split 80 to 90% of available DRAM between an instance of the program per CPU thread and let the test run to 500% coverage.

https://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html

Or you can use Ramtest : https://www.karhusoftware.com/ramtest/

Alternatively, remove DOCP setting along with any CPU or memory overclocking, then soak test the system by using it for what you would normally.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090