cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery died?

Verruckt
Level 7
sup mates?

couldn't find anyone with a similar problem who reported a solution and didn't RMA the laptop, or even who posted the result... and maybe i can get a help here...

well, i got a problem with my battery..
i went to my uni and brought my laptop with me, used 90% of its battery, then i did shut it down. when i arrived home, i put it to charge, it said 10%, plugged on, charging, but no % was charged in hours of use.
i noticed one thing... i think the AC voltage to charge the battery is 14V+ right? It's now on 13.5V as I can see in AIDA64.
At AIDA64, on power state, it says: Online, Charging, Critical.
Well, now it wont charge above 0%.
I tried taking the battery off, cleaning its contacts, resetting the laptop, then put it back on.. nothing happens.
I'd not like to RMA it, cause I bought it in USA and I live in Brazil.. that wont be a happy and a fast thing to do.
Any ideas what to solve it by my own?
ASUS G53SX
Core i7 2630QM | GTX 560M 2GB | 8GB DDR3 1333 | OCZ Vertex 3 120GB | Seagate Momentus XT 500GB
Razer Orochi | Razer Moray | Logitech X-540
30 REPLIES 30

dstrakele
Level 14
I found this thread interesting with regards to your issue: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/586249-g73jh-battery-problem.html

In this thread, a user reported Windows displayed a warning that the battery needed to be replaced and it reported a wear level of 68%. By completely draining the battery and recalibrating the battery monitor, the wear level was significantly reduced and the the warning ceased.

This is what I would try if I was in your situation.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Verruckt
Level 7
Odd that mine reports 2% wear level, and before discharging it all, it was reporting 4% wear level.
The thing is I can't even properly re-calibrate it. As soon as I take off the power adapter, my laptop goes down since my battery wont charge, and it has 0% charge.
Just found out ASUS released Bios 209 for the G53SX. Will give a try now.
ASUS G53SX
Core i7 2630QM | GTX 560M 2GB | 8GB DDR3 1333 | OCZ Vertex 3 120GB | Seagate Momentus XT 500GB

dstrakele
Level 14
With those results, I'd be thinking the battery is faulty or the charging circuitry is faulty. How old is it?

If you're flashing the BIOS, be sure to use the EasyFlash utility from within your current BIOS. Copy the BIOS file to a flash drive formatted as FAT32, and stick it in a USB 2.0 port.

You might also try to Load Optimized Defaults (F9) in your current BIOS to see if it changes behavior.

Verruckt
Level 7
That's what I tried... I flashed it to 205 once, worked just fine.
BUT, it doesn't allow me to flash it with less than 20% of battery.
dude, that's messed up.5883

Btw, this laptop is 4 months old.
ASUS G53SX

jesus h christ recruit! don't ever try to flash a laptop bios on battery. you'll brick your system.

Verruckt wrote:
That's what I tried... I flashed it to 205 once, worked just fine.
BUT, it doesn't allow me to flash it with less than 20% of battery.
dude, that's messed up.5883

Btw, this laptop is 4 months old.

anyways, battery is bad. get with wherever you got it from and use the warranty for the battery. should be able to get a new battery shipped to your house and not even be without the laptop. check with your vendor and find out.

dstrakele
Level 14
I believe it is trying to prevent you from bricking your machine by running out of power during the flash.

You can then try Loading Optimized Defaults (F9) from your current BIOS.

If you remove the battery, does it allow you to proceed with the BIOS flash?

Verruckt
Level 7
Tried loading the defaults, didn't help. Tried removing the battery, same message, I really need to have it plugged on and above 20% charge.
Don't know anything else to try.
ASUS G53SX

Verruckt
Level 7
Just tried to flash from Windows too, using WinFlash, and it gave me the same message, asking for the battery above 20%!
Any way to force flashing the bios?
ASUS G53SX

I cannot find anything specific to c760 my jp manual etc, but the 5x00 series manual indicates that flashing LED indicates Out of Order. But it wont tell you whether the problem is the battery or the unit itself. Have you checked the voltage out of the AC adaptor?

I believe the full charge time is 4hrs. I simply go by looking at the orange LED turning off to see its done.

HennaOjisan