cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Issue

ghostofwar
Level 7
New build (about a month ago).

If PC is at idle for more than 12 hours, I wake up/come home to my PC sitting at the BIOS screen. I can play every game on Ultra settings for hours without any issues, but if i leave the machine on for hours (sometimes like 2 days), it will "crash" to BIOS. I have all the drivers, tested all hardware, temps are good, memory set to DOCP in BIOS (set just below max standard), all connections tight. There is also nothing in the error logs. Thoughts?

Asus ROG Strix B350 Gaming
Ryzen 1700X
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHZ
Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB DDR5 GPU
850w EVGA PSU, full modular
128GB SSD (with OS)
2TB HDD (data)
Windows 10

Like i said, this machine will destroy everything i throw at it on max settings with NO issues. I let it sit for idle for a while and it does this. I have it set to NOT turn off monitor, NOT turn off hard drives or go into sleep mode, fast boot off in both BIOS and Windows...
8 REPLIES 8

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
How have you verified memory stability?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Yes, ran several memtest runs. All passed.

ghostofwar wrote:
Yes, ran several memtest runs. All passed.

I would run Ramtest or HCI Memtest Pro. Memtest86+ isn't going to tell you anything you need to know beyond faulty modules. Your issue sounds like it could well be memory instability.

https://www.karhusoftware.com/ramtest/

https://hcidesign.com/memtest/

HiVizMan
Level 40
One of the most difficult stability tests any system can pass is one that does not involve a stress test. It is simply resuming or waking from sleep with a large amount of memory stored. I recall doing clunky testing when building systems for folks that went a bit like this.

Open more than 50x chrome web browser tabs. Lots of memory resource there.
Open word document of about 20mb in size with a mixture of graphics embedded and text copy that to clip board
Have a 1080p movie playing
A virus scan going

And then sleep the system.

Leave 24 hours and wake.

Man alive you would be surprised the number of times systems that had passed hours of stability testing programs failed.

OP it sounds like there is a bit of corrupted code someplace between your Firmware/Bios/OS. If you have not done so already, download again the latest bios which should also contain the latest firmware and use the BIOS to flash.

Do make note of your BIOS settings so that you can easily get your system back to where you like it.

Should sort that issue out if it is what I suspect it to be.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

vBDKv
Level 8
It seems to me like Asus does not like sleep these days. I have physically press the reset button to bring the pc back to life if it went into sleep.

vBDKv wrote:
It seems to me like Asus does not like sleep these days. I have physically press the reset button to bring the pc back to life if it went into sleep.

This really falls back to what Hiviz has posted above, failure to wake from sleep states can often be due to instability, and nothing board or vendor specific.

Depends on the platform, too, but if you have an issue you need help with feel free to outline it with some details 🙂

vBDKv wrote:

I hear you brother. Do you have any overclock on your system, and is your ram running at defaults.

If you would like to start your own thread I would be happy to look at your system spec and set up and we can fix this issue for you I am sure.

Regards
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Sleep issues. The desktops dont seem to like it. Had similar issues on every build Ive done over the last few years.
Disable sleep, hibernate and fast startup. Let me guess, you just select save and exit, get the prompt you didn't do anything and it starts no worries? For some reason the hiberfil.sys doesnt recover from PCIE SSDs. I verified this by running off of a SATA SSD and it never happened, go back to fresh install on NVME and its just a matter of time. Sometimes you can get it to work for awhile then an update comes through and its back to finding it in the BIOS screen.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein