cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus rog gl 504gm hero II lower than expected performance

Knight2002
Level 7
So i got my 1st gaming laptop recently , the asus gl 504gm hero II (16gb . i7 8750h,gtx 1060) , in certain games i am getting very low fps as compared to others with same specs as i seen on youtube , for example in
Battlefield one i am getting 40-50fps on ultra during multiplayer with gpu usage being 60-80% most time(CPU usage being 50-60% mostly with 3.0- 3.9 ghz), same case for fay cry 5 , GPU utilization keeps jumping between 70-90% cause annoying stuttering during gameplay.
in rise of tomb raider in certain areas again gpu usage goes to like 60-70% cause fps drop to low 40s causing unpleasant game play, Fifa 18 plays at 138-140fps with GPU utilization again being just 70-75% .
I dunno why in many games my GPU usage is going down so much in certain games , some other games like dying light, witcher 3, pubg , battlefield 4 ,hitman, plays solid without any issues and mostly 90-99% GPU utilization with pleasant fps.
I have checked for thermal throttling , temperature of both CPU AND GPU goes to max 86 degrees (avrg 81 degrees) so i don't think its thermal throttling , msi afterburner did show power and voltage limit at some point , but i have no idea what to do about that .
I have tried the following with no help so far :
Updated to the latest drivers with clean installation
Updated to the latest BIOS
5 REPLIES 5

rolllooo
Level 7
I have the same with gl502 vs- in some games the performance is normal but some suck. I ve tried enything without any effect. I can only suspect that it is power supply issue- I have 180W Asus power suply which in my opinion can limit hardware in certain circumstances but of course it is only hypothesis.

rolllooo wrote:
I have the same with gl502 vs- in some games the performance is normal but some suck. I ve tried enything without any effect. I can only suspect that it is power supply issue- I have 180W Asus power suply which in my opinion can limit hardware in certain circumstances but of course it is only hypothesis.

I suspected the same, 180w charger being the issue, but I have seen other laptops with same config using 180w charger with no performance issues (like the msi gp63 i7 8750h and 1060 using 180w charger, helios 300 same config 135w charger ).Am not an expert but I strongly believe it must been some sort of bios setting which asus messed up causing the issue.

Ok, so i might have found a solution to the problem after lot of searching through the net, i updated the intel 630 graphics driver in evening and so far i am getting much better fps in some of the games in which i had fps drops , like cod ww2 , fps was dropping every few seconds from 70s to 40fps , now its much more stable between 65-92fps , i have no idea now its all connected but it seemed to have solved the problem for now.

TimeLion724
Level 8
It could all just be the latest updates for the games that you're playing.

At the time when you watched YouTube videos, the gaming laptop could probably push the game with those frame rates and CPU usage,

and as the game updated, the gaming laptop you currently own is just not are par with the minimum specifications anymore.
" The speed of the fallen one does not change..."

GUIDE TO FIXING BSOD ERRORS

TimeLion724 wrote:
It could all just be the latest updates for the games that you're playing.

At the time when you watched YouTube videos, the gaming laptop could probably push the game with those frame rates and CPU usage,

and as the game updated, the gaming laptop you currently own is just not are par with the minimum specifications anymore.

Don't think so, even in latest videos I have seen much better performance for similar specs(helios 300 with the i7 8750h and gtx 1060),even some of the maxq gtx 1060 giving better performance like the dell g7, cpu usage is also well within range, max I seen it go around 73%. , it's just the gpu usage which goes down causing problems, i though the new bios update would have solved the same, but it didnt.