cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog gl552vx m2 2280 ssd upgrade

Danbarbu112
Level 7
Hi. I bought a Samsung 970 Evo M2 2280 NVME PCI Express x4 and my laptop didn't recognize it, it didn't show in bios. I have a sticker on the back of the laptop that says "support only m2 2280 ssd sata". I asked on the live chat support and they said that it support nvme and sata. On the product site specification said that it support PCIE X4 NVME. My laptop model is GL552VX-CN059D. Can someone help me? Is there's a way that it can be recognized?
23 REPLIES 23

jdesignz
Level 7
Hi all.. it's been years since I post here regarding issues with GL552VX not supporting NVMEs.

Now, this year I upgraded my rig, two SSDs; Crucial MX500 500gb for the 2.5 and aData XPG SX8200 Pro for the m.2 stick. I successfully used and installed OS on the Crucial. Unfortunately, I'm still having a hard time figuring out how to get the m.2 to work. I tried googling about it and find nothing solution. Until I found this so-called bios modding. So, I did give it a try and found out while following step by step tutorial that my unit GL552VX supports NVME because there's a driver! I'll put the screenshot by one of the app I use for modding a bios file. Yet, still I'm figuring it out how to make it work with the nvme stick I installed.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi,

Looks like the GL552VX with Skylake cpu may use two different motherboards to support SATA M.2 SSDs or PCIe M.2 SSDs, so you probably want to figure out which motherboard you have to determine what kind of M.2 SSD it supports (since the GL552 motherboards don't appear to be able to support both types of M.2 SSDs at the same time) although not sure if there could be some other way around this.

Anyway, if you don't mind to send me a message at cl-Albert@ROG with your serial number, I'll look into that for you, or if you have a SATA M.2 SSD available to try, that may help you find the answer too.

jdesignz
Level 7
Hello

I am expecting new purchase order today Samsung 860 EVO 500gb m2 sata and will give it a try once arrived.

About bios modding, I ended up clueless and didn't make nvme module injecting to work. I read somewhere that HM170 chipset does not support NVMEs. Or maybe there's a missing module that need to be inserted and a recompilation is also required.

I'll report back here once I got the new m.2 stick

Sent you pm @cl-Albert

cl-Albert
Hi,

Okay, expect you will have a much better idea of the situation after you try the SATA M.2 SSD.

Don't think we need to worry about it too much if you will have a SATA M.2 SSD to try later, but didn't see your PM and it could be because my username was changed fairly recently.
Just sent you a PM that you can try to reply to if you wish, but not sure if that will work and if there could be some issues to pm me right now, so just wanted to let you know why you may not get a reply.

jdesignz
Level 7
Yeah, I got it (m.2 sata) and installed without any hassles. If I compare it with the NVMEs, theyre like only 4sec difference. Well, also depends on the transfer rate and apps installed on the system especially startup apps.

But I found out that there's some special NVMEs that work for specific models. It just that it hard to find those and expect to be more expensive.

cl-Albert
Glad to hear you could get the SATA M.2 SSD working at least and thanks for letting us know how it turned out.

jdesignz
Level 7
Update

Local Asus Service Center sent me email regarding the NVME support for this model GL552VX, they said that it supports NVME but only specific brand/model. They gave me some list. Will give it a shot only if I could find this Samsung 950 Pro which I think already phase out. If others could try, much better.

cl-Albert
jdesignz wrote:
Update

Local Asus Service Center sent me email regarding the NVME support for this model GL552VX, they said that it supports NVME but only specific brand/model. They gave me some list. Will give it a shot only if I could find this Samsung 950 Pro which I think already phase out. If others could try, much better.

Actually, those are the M.2 SSDs that ASUS has approved for the GL552VX, but we don't test or approve everything that is available, so it is possible other drives will work as well.

The important thing to know in my opinion is that the GL552VX will use different motherboards to support SATA M.2 SSDs and PCIe M.2 SSDs, so basically the same GL552VX notebook/motherboard cannot support both SATA M.2 SSDs and PCIe M.2 SSDs at the same time since different motherboards are used for the GL552VX to support each.

Many newer models appear to have found way around this and support both SATA and PCIe M.2 SSDs, but this apparently does not apply to the GL552VX, so if your system works with SATA M.2 SSDs, don't expect you can get any PCIe M.2 SSDs working, but feel free to investigate or discuss with more people.

Not sure if the message from local ASUS support was clear, but wondering if they were saying the same thing as I mentioned above that only certain versions of the GL552VX with the correct motherboard could support NVME M.2 SSDs, otherwise, if they are saying all the GL552VX notebooks (or your GL552VX notebook) can support all those drives listed, it's not something I agree with.

If you are able to talk to them more, that same list also includes the different types of GL552VX motherboards that are available and you may want to ask them why some motherboards are listed as SATA while other motherboards are listed as PCIe which they may want to talk to HQ about more if they don't know why.
Thanks.

Hello!
I bought from a friend of mine The Asus Model: FZ50VX-76A95SB1 Motherboard: GL552VX-4BDM ,at least is what asus assistant says.
I made an upgrade to bios and at some point i had to chose GL552VX, on asus download site, so i have the GL552VX board.
I have pre-installed an m.2 sata3 HYNIX HFS256G39MND-2300A 256Gb.
The m.2 slot on the board it as an M-key, so a PCIe Nvme card will physically fit.
I wanted to install a Nvme of course 🙂 .I bought GIGABYTE - Disco SSD 128GB M.2 NVMe GP-GSM2NE3128GNTD but i did not worked , damm :(.
I went to the crucial Crucial site they have an option scan my computer and give me upgrade options m the are the results
https://www.crucial.com/scanview/890DFC0D31D926C3
The give PCIe options .
Do you think it is possible they work?
If the bios upgrade is the same for all GL552VX models is it possible that some boards work with Sata and other with PCIe it is a hardware difference?
Help please i am stuck...
Thanks a lot guys