Threaded View

New ROGer Array

Question Troubles with an i7-4790K with a Maximus VI Hero

Hardware:
    - Motherboard: Maximus VI Hero
    - CPU: i7-4790K
    - RAM: 2 * 8GB Kingston Hyper-X Beast Dual-DDR3 2400MHz X.M.P
    - GPU: 3GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 780Ti (Palit)
    - Cooling: Corsair H60 Hydro

Hello.

Last weekend I replaced an i5-4670 with the i7-4790K listed above, but I'm
    running into a few niggles that I'm looking for some help with.

For context, I've never overclocked before and really I'm not necessarily
    looking to overclock - instead I'd be content with having this CPU run at it's
    factory speeds (4.0GHz with 4.4GHz Turbo).

Also for context, I've updated the motherboard firmware to the latest available
    version - 1603.

# Issue 1 - Overheating under Stress

With the BIOS using Optimised Defaults and when doing "nothing much", the CPU
    is fine. Temps hold at around 40 degrees Celsius at idle and would push up into
    the 50s and 60s when running a game like No Man's Sky.

The trouble starts when I would deliberately put stress on the CPU - in my case
    attempting to encode my FLAC collection to MP3. Foobar2000 will put all cores to
    work and temperatures would immediately spike into the 90s and hit the 100 mark.

Abort. Abort. Abort.

The only solution to this problem I've found is to turn off Turbo Boost in the
    BIOS settings. This then caps the max speed of the CPU to 4.0GHz. Once this Turbo
    Boost is disabled I can re-encode merrily. Temps will hit and hover in the 60s
    and 70s, which is what I would expect.

Question 1: Is there a middle ground here? I get the feeling the motherboard was
    overpowering the CPU, delivering every watt and volt it could possibly throw at
    it. Can I change the BIOS setting so this chip acts like a non-"K" chip - have
    4.4GHz at it's disposal when necessary? If so, what are the BIOS settings I need
    to toy with to make this happen? (The sheer number of voltage and other options
    baffle me!)

# Issue 2 - Rebooting

This chip doesn't like being rebooted. I reboot, no POST, "00" on the
    motherboard status indicator, and the only option is to - in the words of Roy -
    turn it off and on again. Even then sometimes this is a gamble that can take a
    few bites at the cherry.

Question 2: Is there a BIOS setting that could be causing this reboot problem? I
    have noticed an "Initial CPU Voltage" option in the BIOS. Could the problem be
    caused by an over/underpowered CPU at boot? I'm guessing here.

If you're in need of any further information about my set up or settings I'm
    happy to provide them.

I hope you can help!

Chris.
    Last edited by chrsmrrtt; 10-16-2018 at 08:27 PM. Reason: It's a 4790, not a 4970. Doh.