Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    ROG Member Array

What do you do when you run out of SATA ports? Talking about raid 10 or raid 5 plus SSD's in a raid 0 for the OS 8 SATA ports get eaten up fast.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array UltraNEO* PC Specs
    UltraNEO* PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell XPS 13
    MotherboardAsus Rampage V Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel i7-6850k
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL F4-3600C17Q-32GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Titan X (Pascal)
    Graphics Card #2Titan X (Pascal)
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q (x3)
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe
    Storage #2Samsung 860 Pro 1Tb (x4)
    CPU CoolerCustom Watercooled
    CaseCaseLabs SMA8
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i
    Keyboard Keyboard Paradise Custom
    Mouse Logitech G903
    Mouse Pad Logitech G840 XL
    Headset/Speakers ART SLA2 Linear Amp with JBL Control 5
    OS Win 10 Pro
    Network RouterPF Sense
    Accessory #1 Logitech Brio 4k
    Accessory #2 Logitech PowerPlay Game Pad

Gonna try give you a viable solution in reverse order...

Quote Originally Posted by Belcher47 View Post
    What do you do when you run out of SATA ports?
    You can add additional I/O cards increasing the number of SATA ports available... or if your serious about your RAID, invest into a dedicated RAID controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Belcher47 View Post
    Talking about raid 10 or raid 5 plus SSD's in a raid 0 for the OS 8 SATA ports get eaten up fast.
    From my understanding and experience, RAID0 with SSDs is not the best idea due to the parity writes trashing the wear-levelling algorithms. Over time this will simply result in short lives for your SSDs. So, if your simply creating a RAID0 SSD drive due to size limitations then I would advise you invest more and buy bigger!! - This would be the more logical solution. - Ultimately it's your call!

However, if you feel them SATAIII (6Gb/s) is simply too slow and you demand more bandwidth!! Then. might I suggest you take a look at those PCI Express-Based SSDs?? Now, depending on the card you could be looking at theoretical maximum bandwidth of 4 GB/s transfers (not to be confused with 6 Gbit/s).

Anyhow, back to our humble Rampage IV Extreme, it has total of eight (8) SATA ports configured in the following manor:

Intel SATA revision 2.0 (SATA 3 Gbit/s) - 4 (black)
    Intel SATA revision 3.0 (SATA 6 Gbit/s) - 2 (red)
    ASMedia SATA revision 3.0 (SATA 6 Gbit/s) (HDD only) - 2 (red)

RAID
    - "SATA3G_1", "SATA3G_2", "SATA3G_3" & "SATA3G_4"
    Setting up either RAID10 or RAID5 requires a minimum of four ports, since it's gonna be four large mechanical drives reading and writing in sync, you won't need high-speed ports period. Thus, use the four black ports.

Optical
    - "SATA6G_1" & "SATA6G_2"
    This leave you two free ports for the a optical drive...
    OK, you don't need SATA 3.0 for optical drives but what choices do you have?

SSD (Single or RAID0)
    - "SATA6G_E1" & "SATA6G_E2"
    Use the one or both of them 6Gb SATAIII ports for your SSD
    - Note: If you choose you can live without an optical drive then choose the Intel SATA ports instead and disable the AS Media ports completely; otherwise you're lumbered with the speedy AS Media ports since you can't install optical device into them, they don't work.

Personal opinion:
    If I'm building a system with any form of RAID, I would shop around for good controller card by a reputable manufacturer. Choose one with an on-board processor and possible onboard cache, this might cost a little more but the speed boosts alone would make the initial investment worthwhile.
    ASUS ROG RVIE Omega | i9-9980xe | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
    WD Black 4TB x2 | WD Black 6TB | Corsair AX1200i | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
    XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV

ROG Member Array

Thanks for the tip on the SSD's, the whole RAID thing seemed interesting but not needed.

ROG Member Array

Sorry gang but this got a bit out of hand and I think if you can help with these 2 questions we can close this thread. Using 2 loops, 1 for the GPU's and 1 for the i7-3930 what size rad do I need for each loop? Cases and SATA ports I can handle. I would like to run the i7-3930 around 4.8 - 5.1, no real super over clocking and I would like to plan for 3 GTX-580 HYDRO's. Thank you all for putting up with the old man.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

i use 2 triple rads on my sys x6 1090t and 5870 .. in one loop pump rad cpu rad gpu back to pump .. works well and with both being over clocked i get idel temps of 27c and load of 45c with 1/3 fans just don't need it on full .. sounds like a plane if i do ..lol
    case is an old girl .. pc 70 1 rad inside on top and one down the front ..
    AMD FX 8350 5.1ghz 221x23
    CROSSHAIR V bios 1703
    g-skill sniper 1600@1800
    What does it matter now if men believe or no?
    What is to come will come. And soon you too will stand aside,
    To murmur in pity that my words were true
    (Cassandra, in Agamemnon by Aeschylus)

to see the wizard one must look behind the curtain ...

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Go have a little sleep and all the cool threads start, is there a message there

You will need at least a 360 rad loop for the 3 580 cards
    For the modest as you wish to call it 5.1GHz cpu overclock a dual rad will do the trick
    Pumps most will do the job, I favour the 655 but they are big and bulky so could be difficult for a build.
    Blocks to the CPU is like wine what works for you is a personal choice. 98% of those available will do the job. 1'C here or there does not make much difference at the end of the day.

You do understand that you are about to enter the slippery slope of no return. Once you head on down the custom water route very few return unscathed. It becomes a hobby then a mission a kind of never ending quest.

Great fun but expensive.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Oh Mr. HiVizMan, such words of wisdom in your post. I'm going to ramble for a moment, forgive me. Wife say's "Why a new computer, what's wrong with this one?" Ah, more words of wisdom, many gamers would die for this machine I have sitting here. As humble as it was that CORSAIR H2O-70 in my first build planted that sead and indeed it started me down that "slippery slope" of water cooling. Yes, 3 air cooled 580's would have been MUCH cheaper and a easier build but the pull of hoses, pumps and UV lights was much to strong for this old man and further down the slope I slide.....doomed.
    Last edited by Belcher47; 02-19-2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: spelling

ROG Enthusiast Array Hillguy PC Specs
    Hillguy PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 6950X
    Memory (part number)32GB GSkill Trident Z 3200
    Graphics Card #1Evga GTX 780Ti SC
    Graphics Card #2Evga GTX 780Ti SC
    Graphics Card #3Evga GTX 780Ti SC
    MonitorAsus PB278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Evo
    Storage #2Samsung 840 Evo
    CPU CoolerKoolance CPU-370 WaterBlock
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000BWS
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i Dual PSU Setup
    Keyboard Razer DeathStalker
    Mouse Razer Death Adder
    Headset/Speakers 5.1 Surround
    OS W 7
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk AC1900
    Accessory #1 Koolance 2 x RP-1000 Pumps
    Accessory #2 Koolance 2 x EHX-1320 4x120mm Rads
    Accessory #3 3 x 780Ti Aquacomputer Waterblocks

Have you considered putting the rad/rads outside the case ??

ROG Member Array

Wow, that's nice. I have been looking at all my options and my first SS check won't get here till mid March so I have time. Thanks for the input and you have a nice set up there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3