cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first custom build desktop

itsGucci-1921
Level 7
Hi everyone, I am building myself my first pc desktop and i am having a difficult time choosing either the nuctua d15 or an aio maybe the corsair 150. Cpu is 8085k gpu is 2080ti strix, case will be fractal r6, power supply is corsair 850 platinum rated, hard drive is samsung 970 pro 500gb, ram aircool = corsair 16gb 3200 lpx x 2; aio g skill 8gb 3200 rgb x2, mother board is asus maximus hero wifi. If theres any thing i can improve on, feel free to give me advise. I will be mainly using this for gaming. I know its over kill for what im using it for but i want a beastly machine.
11 REPLIES 11

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
The D15 is a fantastic performing air cooler, so it's a great option. Just be sure you can accommodate it in the R6 chassis. The rest seems fine, although the 16gb kit would be my choice for gaming.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
The D15 is a fantastic performing air cooler, so it's a great option. Just be sure you can accommodate it in the R6 chassis. The rest seems fine, although the 16gb kit would be my choice for gaming.

thanks for the reply. Do you mean the 16x2 from corsair or 8x2 from gskill?

the D15 is BIG need small memory big case

pcpartpicker.com to check if all piece fit!

nutshell wrote:
the D15 is BIG need small memory big case

pcpartpicker.com to check if all piece fit!
I've checked with my local shop. the d15 fits with the case no problem. the only concern I have is the g skill ram height will not clear unless I re position one of the fan on the noctua d15.

itsGucci-1921 wrote:
thanks for the reply. Do you mean the 16x2 from corsair or 8x2 from gskill?

16GB Capacity from GSKILL.

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
16GB Capacity from GSKILL.
Hey thanks for your reply. Can you elaborate on why you would choose the 16gb memory kit over the 32gb kit? Im no expert with computer however from my understand, the larger the memory the better assuming that the speed are the same.*

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Depends on your usage model, but 8GB modules and lower capacity kits are easier to overclock. Unless you foresee needing 32GB there's no benefit to adding more to the system.

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Depends on your usage model, but 8GB modules and lower capacity kits are easier to overclock. Unless you foresee needing 32GB there's no benefit to adding more to the system.

I will go with the 32gb kit because I have no clue on how to overclock and after talking to the guys at the local store. their recommendations is to not overclock unless I know someone who know their ****. my little brother already fried 4 1080 ti and 2 titans.

itsGucci-1921 wrote:
I will go with the 32gb kit because I have no clue on how to overclock and after talking to the guys at the local store. their recommendations is to not overclock unless I know someone who know their ****. my little brother already fried 4 1080 ti and 2 titans.

If you buy either memory kit, you're already overclocking. The point I was making is the 16GB will have more chance of working without additional tuning than the 32GB kit. So if unsure on these types of things, you want to go with my suggestion.

The GPU story isn't really applicable here as there's very little chance of you doing this. Also it's incredibly difficult to damage NVIDIA GPU through overclocking due to current restrictions, so I'm not sure what your brother must be doing to destroy so many cards.