cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Maximus X hero A2 code

john_nicolosi1
Level 7
I just finished a build using a new ROG Maximus X Hero WiFi with the following components: - i7 8700 - G skill 32 meg of ram on QVL - ROG Strix GTX 1080ti - Corsaire AIO cooler for GPU - Samsung SSD - Seagate Sata drive *
I booted up the computer first time and the bios popped up no problem. Configured it all, Then installed windows no problem.
Took the computer to its final spot in house booted it up no problem then I realized that the seagate drive wasn’t showing so I want to check the bios. Shut off computer then started back up while pressing delete key over and over and got the dreaded A2 error code and black screen. Called Asus and they had me remove all the hard drives and reset CMOS with no luck still had the A2 code and no screen. Then I said let me just try to get back to windows and restarted computer and still got the A2 code.
They escalated it to higher tech support. I then removed the gpu to access the sata connections which covered them and pluged the two hard drives in different ports and fired the computer back up and it worked, I can see both hard drives and the bios was accessible.
What I don’t understand, should I wait to see ROG republic of gamers splash then hit the delete key? I notice when trying today if I constant hit the delete key from beginning of start up I get the A2 code. If I wait to see the ROG splash screen where is says hit F2 or delete key I can get into bios.
Here’s the funky stuff: I shut down the computer and don’t shut down the power supply with switch and leave tv on I can’t get into bios, windows quickly starts up and I don’t see the ROG splash screen allowing me to get into bios. The only way I can get into bios is If the shut down the computer completely and shut off power supply switch and shut down tv. Then turn tv on first wait until I get no signal from tv then power up computer I get the ROG splash screen allowing me to get into bios using the delete key.
Wacky.
I heard that the tv being its 4K and so is the gpu is that the tv must be powered up first to accept the “4K hand shake” from the video card. Does this sound right ? I did hear about this in home entertainment equip using 4K stuff.
Could some of my sata connections on mother board be bad as to cause this first problem with A2 ?
How do I stop windows from quickly booting up so I can see the ROG splash screen every time, is there a setting in bios to stop windows quick boot up?
6 REPLIES 6

kens30
Level 11
Sorry to hear you are having problems on your new build i know how frustrating it can be.
Since some sata ports don't detect your hard drives it would be a good idea to RMA the board.
In Windows run CMD as admin and type powercfg -h off to stop windows from quickly booting up and in bios disable fast startup.
EDIT:
Forgot to mention once you have booted to Windows check your Seagate drive for bad sectors.

Nate152
Hi john

I'd double check your gpu is working since your pc boots with the onboard graphics.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi john

I'd double check your gpu is working since your pc boots with the onboard graphics.

I just played some DCS Flight sim and it appears the GPU is working great..it ran the sim in 4K with no problems on my 55” 4K tv. I might chalk it up to a bad Sata port or cable. I really dont want to disassemble the whole computer and RMA it..its working now..just weird how I have to get into bios. It’s the sequence of how i turn it all on so i can get the Republic of Gamers splash screen to get an option to bios..
CPU run at 40c max and GPU runs at 60c max...i think that’s pretty good ??*

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
No great advice except having a MB speaker so you can not only hear trouble beep codes, but a beep when the computer is booting into the BIOS so you know when to hit the delete key.

Also, doesn't the Hero have a safe boot button to boot directly to the BIOS in safe mode?

You might have finicky SATA cables. I would try a new cable to the problematic port.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

geneo wrote:
No great advice except having a MB speaker so you can not only hear trouble beep codes, but a beep when the computer is booting into the BIOS so you know when to hit the delete key.

Also, doesn't the Hero have a safe boot button to boot directly to the BIOS in safe mode?

You might have finicky SATA cables. I would try a new cable to the problematic port.

I think it was a bad connection or bad Sata cable...runs pretty good now..
This is my first build and I’m glad i did it vs buying a pre built so i can lean the components *

Nate152
Good to hear all is well and congratulations on your first successful build.