cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53sx Bios update question, please help!

vudugan
Level 7
Hello all, yes I am still using this machine as I cannot afford another. I would like to get a response from anyone that actually knows if updating my bios will help my gaming issues. I basically get like up to 20 frames playing games like Dark and Light, Scum and roughly 30 in Ark at the same time fps will drop to 1 and cause stutters, freezes and sometimes d3d crash errors if it doesn't climb back up to 15-30fps (never seen 60fps in any games since purchased in Feb. 2012). Yes I use the lowest possible game settings/resolutions and even tried the individual settings in Nvidia control panel per game. I consider myself too be well educated in Googling 101.

Now I know my laptop is outdated and will not play these games as newer machines would. And I will accept an answer like " That's how well a newer game will play on your old machine," but I need someone with more experience than my Google education to tell me. I suffered from the Black screen on boot and actually took this unit apart 2 days ago to apply new thermal paste because i was reaching 93c while playing games for, yes, the last year (Temps are no higher than 81c now). And yes since taking it apart for the umpteenth time it now actually starts up on every reboot so I was able to get all the W10 updates since last Oct 2017 (it always started up on reboot after every time I took apart to try new googled "solutions" to the black screen on boot until I packed it up and took it outside home to another location) and I have noticed a vast improvement in all games and no longer have to use steam launch commands like -d3d10, -sm4, etc. but the fps issue is still there with less lag and stutters.

So coming back to my question after giving a little background. Should I update my bios? The thing that is really eating me on the inside is the info I've found. Speccy tells me I am on version 203 dated 7-5-2011 But the version 203 on Asus website is dated 7-29-2011. So you see, as far as the way I think, do I have the same 203 as on the website? This is really confusing me. I want to just go ahead and format my thumb drive to FAT32, copy the bios 209 file to it and use the easy flash utility in the bios by repeatedly pressing F2 after a restart to update but I'm not sure if it would be worth the risk without someone more experienced giving me their feedback (I've read the threads on 209 bricking machines mostly because the thumb drive was not formatted). I've also read the threads about the Sandy bridge throttling issue and not sure if this what I'm dealing with or even if it was ever addressed in the last 2 (3 from the way I see it) bios updates.

I hope someone can give me a positive response based on their own experience and/or technical knowledge, Thanks in advance.
G53SX-RH71

15.6" 1920 x 1080 Full HD (16:9) Matte Type Display
Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor, 2.2 GHz
IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
Memory 12GB, PC3-10600/1333Mhz DDR3 - 3 x 4GB
Hard Drive 750GB/7200rpm 16MB Cache Buffer SATA-300 (SATA II 3GB/s)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M w/2GB GDDR5 295.73
0 REPLIES 0