cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20AJ US009S - SSD not showing up (post upgrade after a few years) - solved?

Ravenholme
Level 7
So… for some weird reason last night my Samsung 850 EVO 500gb doesn't show up in the bios so it doesn't boot to it (Bios set to other OS) I did however a few days ago installed a 6TB Seagate cloned the original 1TB SSHD that was acting as a secondary drive. everything worked fine for a couple days. then it randomly crapped out on me. 6TB seems to be perfectly fine. the SSD just doesn't want to show up. i did at some point get it to show up in bios after fiddling around then was forced to reinstall windows cuz it couldn't fix it. then after moving the appropriate game files over to the D drive (Destiny 2) i rebooted and the system again… won't see the SSD. Is it possible the Seagate 6TB is drawing too much power from the system preventing the Samsung SSD from initializing? or is it just that the G20AJ's bios is so damn broken? I'm not booting UEFI or Raid btw. though i think at some point it did switch to raid for some reason, but i switched it back to AHCI.

Anyway has anyone else encountered this strange circumstance? is my only solution buy a new case, board, cpu, ram, PSU & CPU Cooler? cuz i really don't want to do that right now.

Seagate 6TB drive in question: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LOOJBH8 PM: Operating: 9W Idle: 7.2W Standby / Sleep:*0.6W/0.6W
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E120B-AM/dp/B00OBRE5UE *Average: 3.4 W *Maximum: 5 W

other notes:

Running with Dell 330W PSU as the 2nd power unit with the 180W
Still running Nvidia GTX1080 in the system.*
3 REPLIES 3

Ravenholme
Level 7
update: strange occurance:

So the initial issues lay with the Bios not detecting the Samsung SSD after reboot that night or turning it on, after an hour or so of it being off.

I eventually got the PC on reinstalled windows and the software. (Destiny 2 install) overnight. did the reboot yesterday at 8am and then it wouldn't see the SSD.
Later after work I gave it a shot and the PC turned on and went into windows (that means the Bios saw the SSD) at 8pm. Everything functioned w/o a hitch. then I decided to test and reboot the PC at 12am ET. again SSD wasn't found and it wouldn't get past the bios.

This morning. 9:30am ET again turned it on and it goes into windows. SSD works. and I didn't go into bios to fiddle with anything.
So basically I have no idea what is going on.

Scenario A: power related issue when the 6TB Seagate operates at full capacity and affects the SSD in terms of available power in the G20AJ
Scenario B: Samsung 850 Evo is on it's last legs and behaving irratically. - Got the SSD when I got the G20AJ
(that doesn't seem to be realistic when looking at lifespans of SSDs, I don't believe I've written 100's of TB into a 500GB drive)

Ravenholme
Level 7
ok last night i fixed the issue.

Opened up the pc, took out the CPU Fan Covers, unplugged the DVD Drive's power cable (not the sata cable). then Reset the CMOS / Bios with the jumper pins (1-2 to 2-3 for awhile then back to 1-2) put everything back then booted it back up. took me less than 30 mins to fix. the system seems to see the SSD now. maybe it was the CMOS that needed resetting.

I selected the SSD as primary boot drive (UEFI is enabled btw)

everything seems stable now, i did reboots, shut downs and power ups right after etc. so it's all good at this point.*

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
still everything is working dude? yeah I had a video on resetting the CMOS but I didn't know if it would fully work some people, but I am glad that it can be useless at least lol