cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2700X or 9900k?? AMD or Intel for next build

mdzcpa
Level 12
After being with AMD from Athlon through AMD64, then with Intel since Core 2, I have zero brand loyalty. I don't want this thread to be an argument.

I'm passing down my current 7700k/Hero IX build to my son and building another for myself. After many years of hard overclocking, the last 4 years have been a plug n play, AIO water, modest overclocking, kind of situation. I have little time to tinker and focus my limited PC time on gaming and productivity.

That all said, I was about to pull the trigger on a new 9900k/Hero XI/2080 Ti Strix build. Then today's 9900k reviews came out and everyone is hating on it. Fast yes, but HOT, a poor over clocker, and expensive compared to the 2700X. My old AMD roots are calling me back home now. But I also see many posts all around the internet of niggling issues that seem more prevalent with AMD. From memory not running rated speeds (not highly overlocked), to boards with weird functionality issues, I'm just leery to jump in. In the old days I enjoyed the AMD side of things and finding solutions was no problem (anyone remember the VIA KT133 chipset problems??) Anyways, I need a quick assembly, easy modest overlocking build. Is AMD super ready for prime time?
3 REPLIES 3

panzlock
Level 12
At these prices I'd go with AMD. The price to performance for the 9900K is absolutely horrid.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/intel-core-i9-9900k-processor-review,1.html
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

Mr__Fox
Level 12
mdzcpa wrote:
After being with AMD from Athlon through AMD64, then with Intel since Core 2, I have zero brand loyalty. I don't want this thread to be an argument.

I'm passing down my current 7700k/Hero IX build to my son and building another for myself. After many years of hard overclocking, the last 4 years have been a plug n play, AIO water, modest overclocking, kind of situation. I have little time to tinker and focus my limited PC time on gaming and productivity.

That all said, I was about to pull the trigger on a new 9900k/Hero XI/2080 Ti Strix build. Then today's 9900k reviews came out and everyone is hating on it. Fast yes, but HOT, a poor over clocker, and expensive compared to the 2700X. My old AMD roots are calling me back home now. But I also see many posts all around the internet of niggling issues that seem more prevalent with AMD. From memory not running rated speeds (not highly overlocked), to boards with weird functionality issues, I'm just leery to jump in. In the old days I enjoyed the AMD side of things and finding solutions was no problem (anyone remember the VIA KT133 chipset problems??) Anyways, I need a quick assembly, easy modest overlocking build. Is AMD super ready for prime time?

I would be leery to jump in as well, for the reasons you mentioned. AMD offers good value and the new 2700X is a decent CPU.

I am not a brand advocate. I make choices based on what best serves my needs. While price is important, it is may not be the most important thing to consider. It is not the most important for me. It is mostly a personal decision. If you enjoy overclocking, or you are planning to get into that, then the 9900K (or other unlocked Intel CPU) is the best choice. While the Zen processors are powerful, they do poorly at overclocking. Since overclocked benching is my bag, these are not a good option for me. If you're a gamer, the Intel processors do better at that for the most part as well.

The Zen and TR processors are probably the smarter option for a server or business workstation where gaming and overclocking are not super important and the primary focus is on stock CPU performance.
Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | RTX 4090 Suprim | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @8200 | SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 || DG-86
Banshee // ROG Z690 Apex | 13900KF | RTX 3090 K|INGP|N | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @ 6800 | Corsair RM122x SHIFT | XT-45 NOVA || 5000D Airflow
Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

Mr. Fox wrote:
I would be leery to jump in as well, for the reasons you mentioned. AMD offers good value and the new 2700X is a decent CPU.

I am not a brand advocate. I make choices based on what best serves my needs. While price is important, it is may not be the most important thing to consider. It is not the most important for me. It is mostly a personal decision. If you enjoy overclocking, or you are planning to get into that, then the 9900K (or other unlocked Intel CPU) is the best choice. While the Zen processors are powerful, they do poorly at overclocking. Since overclocked benching is my bag, these are not a good option for me. If you're a gamer, the Intel processors do better at that for the most part as well.

The Zen and TR processors are probably the smarter option for a server or business workstation where gaming and overclocking are not super important and the primary focus is on stock CPU performance.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

My current 7700k was a breeze to OC. After some Day 1 temp issues I did de-lid the 7700k on Day 2 which lead to a stable 5Ghz OC with very nice temps that my H115i easily manages. I had a nice OC in place Day 2 and the rig has been burp free for almost 2 years. I really like stability about my current build. Everything just works.

Budget is not my main driver. I won't throw money away, but I do prefer the high end. I used to run in the HEDT market for many years and used to benched a lot but went mainstream for the 7700k as my time became limited. I'm torn. I'd like to give AMD a shot for something different, but I'm attracted to the likely possibility the 9900k could give me a simply achieved modest overclock, is tops in gaming, and may be the most plug and play. You summed up the main reasons why I was going to stick with Intel for another build.