cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus V Extreme onboard audio stopped working

mcipekci
Level 7
Hello,
I replaced my cpu cooler today after doing it onboard audio stopped working, I tried reinstalling drivers, changing bios etc but none of them solved issue.
Do you guys have any idea what can cause it?
Thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5

Mr__Fox
Level 12
That is a strange problem, but it might have a simple solution. Have you tried loosening up the screws holding down the cooler? Maybe they are too tight and causing some distortion of some sort. Strange things can happen with pin contact in the CPU socket if the screws are overtightened. As long as the contact is decent, the screws only need to be snugged down.
Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | RTX 4090 Suprim | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @8200 | SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 || DG-86
Banshee // ROG Z690 Apex | 13900KF | RTX 3090 K|INGP|N | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @ 6800 | Corsair RM122x SHIFT | XT-45 NOVA || 5000D Airflow
Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

Mr. Fox wrote:
That is a strange problem, but it might have a simple solution. Have you tried loosening up the screws holding down the cooler? Maybe they are too tight and causing some distortion of some sort. Strange things can happen with pin contact in the CPU socket if the screws are overtightened. As long as the contact is decent, the screws only need to be snugged down.

That's what I was thinking I'll try it and post the result here.

I tried it but no luck, I'll try reseating cpu tomorrow since it's like midnight right now on where I live, strange thing is only optical outputs are shown but when I plug in any jack no matter front or rear they do not get detected, also after reinstalling drivers I do not have realtek control panel or whatever It was called before when It was available If I change setting of front jacks to AC97 instead of HD (which is active setting on motherboard) I get headphones available on menu but they only give noise nothing else.

mcipekci
Level 7
Sadly even reseating CPU back didn't help, do you guys have any other idea what can be causing it? Only thing left to do is fresh install of windows but do not think this will also help.

Vlada011
Level 10
Heee, if you use Maximus V Extreme with onboard audio...

Such things happen, there is a very good chance that after one of restart in next few days or clear cmos that onboard audio start to work again.
But if you use onboard audio and have premium hardware as Maximus V Extreme...

Sound Quality is neglected from side of gamers and big percent of enthusiast.
Because price of high end dedicate sound cards allowed me to use one of them I do that.
I can't say for graphics at the moment. People rather buy CPU Cooler worth 180$ than dedicate sound card worth 150$.

You don't need to listen music or look movies, if you use Youtube and listen voice difference is enough and justify investment.

Vlada011 wrote:
Heee, if you use Maximus V Extreme with onboard audio...

Such things happen, there is a very good chance that after one of restart in next few days or clear cmos that onboard audio start to work again.
But if you use onboard audio and have premium hardware as Maximus V Extreme...

Sound Quality is neglected from side of gamers and big percent of enthusiast.
Because price of high end dedicate sound cards allowed me to use one of them I do that.
I can't say for graphics at the moment. People rather buy CPU Cooler worth 180$ than dedicate sound card worth 150$.

You don't need to listen music or look movies, if you use Youtube and listen voice difference is enough and justify investment.

Well I was happy with the quality of onboard audio, never had any issues with it for 5 years till i replaced cpu cooler because old ones pump stop working, I'm really out of options, its just annoying why it stopped it's showed up on control panel but when I plug any jack nothing happens, I'll try clearing cmos as well right now using external soundcard till I'll solve that.