cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

z390 and 8700k

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
Hello gang

As a ROG and constant reader and tester, I am here to ask a questions, before i place a order. I WILL not buy the 9900k. But i will get the 8700k. I want to get the new board. If I get the new z390 board, WHAT will NOT work using 8700k. the reson is 9900k runs to dam how and here is hot already. so 8700k will do. If I get these board can OC to 5.0 or there is some issues there???
Learn, Play Enjoy!
4 REPLIES 4

Zammin
Level 9
The Z390 boards are fully compatible with 8th gen CPUs so there will be no issues using an 8700k. Most 8700ks can reach 5Ghz but unless you get a really good sample it's a good idea to delid and use liquid metal as the temperatures can often be high at the kind of voltages you need to hit 5Ghz stable on an average chip. If you want a better binned 8700k you could get the 8086k and you might be able to get 5Ghz without delidding depending on your cooling solution and how much voltage it needs.

Zammin wrote:
The Z390 boards are fully compatible with 8th gen CPUs so there will be no issues using an 8700k. Most 8700ks can reach 5Ghz but unless you get a really good sample it's a good idea to delid and use liquid metal as the temperatures can often be high at the kind of voltages you need to hit 5Ghz stable on an average chip. If you want a better binned 8700k you could get the 8086k and you might be able to get 5Ghz without delidding depending on your cooling solution and how much voltage it needs.

The delid is a most. I can not escape that. At least i can control that and no burn my house with 9900k. sorry i all ready test that and HOT AS HELL.

I will try to get the board today maybe a hero. since the other ones are out. unless i can get help to get a CODE. since prices spike. The 8700k i can sent to delid in texas and send that to here (Panama city Panama)

So all function will work. Including the dual pin power pin. etc. OK

Let me try!

Any other information please leave it so i can take a look. Thanks Zammin
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Itzycharles wrote:
The delid is a most. I can not escape that. At least i can control that and no burn my house with 9900k. sorry i all ready test that and HOT AS HELL.

I will try to get the board today maybe a hero. since the other ones are out. unless i can get help to get a CODE. since prices spike. The 8700k i can sent to delid in texas and send that to here (Panama city Panama)

So all function will work. Including the dual pin power pin. etc. OK

Let me try!

Any other information please leave it so i can take a look. Thanks Zammin

I'm with you on the 9900k being way too hot. I was hoping to get one but having seen the temperatures at 5Ghz I'm pretty disappointed. I think this is as far as 14nm goes for Intel. Lots of power draw and heat for not much more performance per core.

You can delid your CPU yourself pretty easily. You can by a tool and the conductonaut liquid metal for probably around $50 USD all up (I live in Australia so that's just my best guess, it cost me around $70 AUD here). I did it on my 8700k myself and it all went well. There are many guides online to help you through it.

As for the motherboard everything will work, as I said Z390 is fully compatible with 8th gen CPUs. That said, you won't see much benefit over a good Z370 like the Maximus X series since the 8700k doesn't need the massive power delivery that the high end Z390 boards are equipped with, and the Z370 ROG boards have the same features as Z390 (USB 3.1 gen 2 and 802.11 AC WiFi) included by ASUS, so it's just a matter of which one you like the look of best.

Zammin wrote:
I'm with you on the 9900k being way too hot. I was hoping to get one but having seen the temperatures at 5Ghz I'm pretty disappointed. I think this is as far as 14nm goes for Intel. Lots of power draw and heat for not much more performance per core.

You can delid your CPU yourself pretty easily. You can by a tool and the conductonaut liquid metal for probably around $50 USD all up (I live in Australia so that's just my best guess, it cost me around $70 AUD here). I did it on my 8700k myself and it all went well. There are many guides online to help you through it.

As for the motherboard everything will work, as I said Z390 is fully compatible with 8th gen CPUs. That said, you won't see much benefit over a good Z370 like the Maximus X series since the 8700k doesn't need the massive power delivery that the high end Z390 boards are equipped with, and the Z370 ROG boards have the same features as Z390 (USB 3.1 gen 2 and 802.11 AC WiFi) included by ASUS, so it's just a matter of which one you like the look of best.

Lets see. is not paying the 600USD for the cpu. Since the new boards a good looking, and have some more pop from the z370, is like... yea. A guy make the delid for my 7700k. and is wonderfull the temps i got. I did mostly for temps in check and run 5.0 1.36 24/7. I just check a video that IF the power target does not go pass the 95w there is no over heat. I need more coffee. is 5:42am so i will check back.

let see what i do. Most of my computer use now is to help other ASUS members here in Panama to take the most out the use and issues. I did these since, as many, we love our brand. and also since i run my own community, people ask, i have to help, so the brand stay, and ask nothing most of the time.

I will take the week to think the way to go. and change to AMD is getting memory that works with out issues. and dich my 32gb rams. so I am on the middle of the road. Of course get the 8700k/8086K. let see.

Any Q as always I am here! Thanks Zammin have a good afternoon!
Learn, Play Enjoy!