Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Maximus Formula XI Z390 - VDroop

Hi!

I am seeing a significant VDroop on the VCore of my 9900k.

I set the Vcore manually to 1.22 in the BIOS. During normal activities it drops to 1.18v and during AVX it drops to 1.14v

All cores at 5GHz, AVX offset 1. LLC set to 6,7 or 8 makes no difference.

Power limits have been maxed as per Debaur's guide on 8700K and Intel ETU states I am not power throttling.

Any ideas?

ROG Junior Member Array

Same thing on a new Maximus XI Hero with an 8086K. With manual voltage settings, I am seeing a typical 0.05v droop under load with Prime95 running. It appears that LLC has no effect unless adaptive voltage is used.

That said, it's running stable with the voltage set to accomodate for the expected droop, e.g. set 1.32v to get 1.27v at 5.1GHz in P95. Oddly, I can't get the Vccio and Vccsa voltages to honor my manual setting. I set 1.23 Vccio and get 1.248 no matter what I do, XMP on or off, SVID on or off etc.

Would sure be nice if ASUS actually published some documentation on what each of the BIOS settings does, and what prerequisites are required for a setting to have effect. Been overclocking for decades and still feel like I am hacking the board due to lack of tech data needed to understand all of the settings provided in the BIOS.

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Hi SPAR76

Welcome to the ROG forum !

It's normal for the vccio voltage and system agent voltage to go up to 0.020v above what you set, mine does it too. You can always try vccio at 1.21v and see where it goes to.

As for the Vcore, if you have to set 1.32v to get 1.27v, something is not right.

Setting SVID Behavior to Best Case should help keep the voltage close to what you set, setting SVID Behavior to Best case is the same as manually setting the AI AC and DC Load Lines to .01, you could try setting these manually to .01.

In Digi+ - LLC level 5 or 6

If this doesn't help get the voltage closer to what you're setting, I'd reset to defaults and start over.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

BIOS version? Can you save a BIOS profile and send it to me?
    Last edited by elmor; 10-26-2018 at 05:58 AM.

ROG Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Nate152 View Post
    Hi SPAR76

Welcome to the ROG forum !

It's normal for the vccio voltage and system agent voltage to go up to 0.020v above what you set, mine does it too. You can always try vccio at 1.21v and see where it goes to.

As for the Vcore, if you have to set 1.32v to get 1.27v, something is not right.

Setting SVID Behavior to Best Case should help keep the voltage close to what you set, setting SVID Behavior to Best case is the same as manually setting the AI AC and DC Load Lines to .01, you could try setting these manually to .01.

In Digi+ - LLC level 5 or 6

If this doesn't help get the voltage closer to what you're setting, I'd reset to defaults and start over.
    This is a common problem people are seeing on this board. I am seeing the exact behavior with LLC 5. About 0.5 of vdroop at any vcore.

I followed der8auers Hero X 8700k guide and am seeing the same vdroop as described by OP.*

*https://youtu.be/CoUtA7DKXhU
    Last edited by Calysmic; 10-28-2018 at 08:56 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array TheOnlyDoor PC Specs
    TheOnlyDoor PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS ROG Strix Hero III
    MotherboardASUS Z390 Maximus Hero XI (WiFi)
    ProcessorI9 9900k @ 4.9 (all core no AVX offset)
    Memory (part number)32 GB Trident Z RGB DDR4 @ 3200mhz
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 2080Ti FTW (+100 core/+900 mem)
    MonitorASUS PG27UQ 27inch 4k HDR
    Storage #1Samsung 960 pro M.2 2 TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair h115i
    CaseNZXT Phantom (White) Full ATX
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i 80+ platinum
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Headset Steel Series 840 wireless Gaming Headset
    Mouse Pad Star Citizen Anvil Areospace 32 inch gaming pad
    Headset/Speakers Logitech stereo speakers
    OS Windows 10 pro 64 bit
    Network RouterVerizon Quantum Gateway
    Accessory #1 HTC Vive Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Calysmic View Post
    This is a common problem people are seeing on this board. I am seeing the exact behavior with LLC 5. About 0.5 of vdroop at any vcore.

I followed der8auers Hero X 8700k guide and am seeing the same vdroop as described by OP.*

*https://youtu.be/CoUtA7DKXhU
    Wow...just saw this, I had the same problem, started the thread here a few days ago, cant get vore to stay where I put it in Bios.
    Problem is, it seems with this board and cpu will always give less Vcore at load, causing instability but somehow generates the same heat as is if the set Voltage was actually being supplied. So if you set manual vcore higher to compensate at load your temps blow into triple digits.
    Predictor says I need 1.29 for stable AVX @ 5ghz.
    Looks like I'll have to settle for 4.7ghz OC at 1.32v (which will actually translate to 1.27 once I'm at load) just so P95 dosent spit error immediately or Realbench and Aida64 dont blue screen and crash my system .

ROG Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by sherriffjb View Post
    You changed the cpu current capability?

Amidst all the other settings for throttling playing with that and leaving LLC static at 6 helped me dial my voltage in to where I want it.

For example when it was set @150% I was a little over where I wanted to be (1.32) so I tweaked it down to 130% plus a tiny offset and I'm sat at 1.305 which is what I set in the Bios.
    you are at 1.305 set in the bios and 1.305 (or close) under load? Are you using a hero XI?

ROG Junior Member Array

Same exact issue on my Hero XI with 9900K.*

I set 1.25v in BIOS manually and LLC7 and am seeing 1.190v once placed under load. *It’s holding stable but this vdroop is unacceptable for such a high end board. Latest bios 0506 as well.

My old Z370E with 8700K had better voltage control. I used 1.27v and saw 1.248v under load for 5ghz and that is a mid tier board.

Asus? *Hello?*

Super Moderator Array

Elmor has explained the new truer method of reading voltage of the M XI's here:
    https://www.overclock.net/forum/27686004-post2664.html

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hey did anyone find a fix for this?

My xi formula is the same. Set 1.33v bios and get 1.27v under load llc7

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast