cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Formula XI Z390 - VDroop

Wih__Glah
Level 7
Hi!

I am seeing a significant VDroop on the VCore of my 9900k.

I set the Vcore manually to 1.22 in the BIOS. During normal activities it drops to 1.18v and during AVX it drops to 1.14v

All cores at 5GHz, AVX offset 1. LLC set to 6,7 or 8 makes no difference.

Power limits have been maxed as per Debaur's guide on 8700K and Intel ETU states I am not power throttling.

Any ideas?
29 REPLIES 29

SPAR76
Level 7
Same thing on a new Maximus XI Hero with an 8086K. With manual voltage settings, I am seeing a typical 0.05v droop under load with Prime95 running. It appears that LLC has no effect unless adaptive voltage is used.

That said, it's running stable with the voltage set to accomodate for the expected droop, e.g. set 1.32v to get 1.27v at 5.1GHz in P95. Oddly, I can't get the Vccio and Vccsa voltages to honor my manual setting. I set 1.23 Vccio and get 1.248 no matter what I do, XMP on or off, SVID on or off etc.

Would sure be nice if ASUS actually published some documentation on what each of the BIOS settings does, and what prerequisites are required for a setting to have effect. Been overclocking for decades and still feel like I am hacking the board due to lack of tech data needed to understand all of the settings provided in the BIOS.

Nate152
Hi SPAR76

Welcome to the ROG forum !

It's normal for the vccio voltage and system agent voltage to go up to 0.020v above what you set, mine does it too. You can always try vccio at 1.21v and see where it goes to.

As for the Vcore, if you have to set 1.32v to get 1.27v, something is not right.

Setting SVID Behavior to Best Case should help keep the voltage close to what you set, setting SVID Behavior to Best case is the same as manually setting the AI AC and DC Load Lines to .01, you could try setting these manually to .01.

In Digi+ - LLC level 5 or 6

If this doesn't help get the voltage closer to what you're setting, I'd reset to defaults and start over.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi SPAR76

Welcome to the ROG forum !

It's normal for the vccio voltage and system agent voltage to go up to 0.020v above what you set, mine does it too. You can always try vccio at 1.21v and see where it goes to.

As for the Vcore, if you have to set 1.32v to get 1.27v, something is not right.

Setting SVID Behavior to Best Case should help keep the voltage close to what you set, setting SVID Behavior to Best case is the same as manually setting the AI AC and DC Load Lines to .01, you could try setting these manually to .01.

In Digi+ - LLC level 5 or 6

If this doesn't help get the voltage closer to what you're setting, I'd reset to defaults and start over.

This is a common problem people are seeing on this board. I am seeing the exact behavior with LLC 5. About 0.5 of vdroop at any vcore.

I followed der8auers Hero X 8700k guide and am seeing the same vdroop as described by OP.*

*https://youtu.be/CoUtA7DKXhU

Calysmic wrote:
This is a common problem people are seeing on this board. I am seeing the exact behavior with LLC 5. About 0.5 of vdroop at any vcore.

I followed der8auers Hero X 8700k guide and am seeing the same vdroop as described by OP.*

*https://youtu.be/CoUtA7DKXhU

Wow...just saw this, I had the same problem, started the thread here a few days ago, cant get vore to stay where I put it in Bios.
Problem is, it seems with this board and cpu will always give less Vcore at load, causing instability but somehow generates the same heat as is if the set Voltage was actually being supplied. So if you set manual vcore higher to compensate at load your temps blow into triple digits.
Predictor says I need 1.29 for stable AVX @ 5ghz.
Looks like I'll have to settle for 4.7ghz OC at 1.32v (which will actually translate to 1.27 once I'm at load) just so P95 dosent spit error immediately or Realbench and Aida64 dont blue screen and crash my system .

elmor
Level 10
BIOS version? Can you save a BIOS profile and send it to me?

sherriffjb
Level 8
You changed the cpu current capability?

Amidst all the other settings for throttling playing with that and leaving LLC static at 6 helped me dial my voltage in to where I want it.

For example when it was set @150% I was a little over where I wanted to be (1.32) so I tweaked it down to 130% plus a tiny offset and I'm sat at 1.305 which is what I set in the Bios.

sherriffjb wrote:
You changed the cpu current capability?

Amidst all the other settings for throttling playing with that and leaving LLC static at 6 helped me dial my voltage in to where I want it.

For example when it was set @150% I was a little over where I wanted to be (1.32) so I tweaked it down to 130% plus a tiny offset and I'm sat at 1.305 which is what I set in the Bios.

you are at 1.305 set in the bios and 1.305 (or close) under load? Are you using a hero XI?

Calysmic wrote:
you are at 1.305 set in the bios and 1.305 (or close) under load? Are you using a hero XI?

I am using a hero XI.

At the moment my bios voltage is set at 1.3 adaptive, I have LLC set on 6 and I have my cpu current limit set at 130%.

This gives me slightly more voltage than I want so I have used an offset of -0.030v to bring me to 1.290 which I am currently testing for stability. According to hardware monitor, AI suite and CPU z ( and every other monitoring tool) my voltages are all accurate.

All I want to do now is keep pushing the low volts, see if it's possible to have my cpu enter c states 'cos I'm not a fan of having that voltage constant and the clocks never dropping below 4.6ghz, and see if I can push my cache speed higher than 4.8 (wishful thinking).

I've been running HW monitor for about 16 hours now you can see my min-max volts here.

Edited 'cos I loaded the wrong profile and my post numbers were off by 0.05v but are now correct and yes its 0506 bios.

ClearedIn2Bravo
Level 8
Same exact issue on my Hero XI with 9900K.*

I set 1.25v in BIOS manually and LLC7 and am seeing 1.190v once placed under load. *It’s holding stable but this vdroop is unacceptable for such a high end board. Latest bios 0506 as well.

My old Z370E with 8700K had better voltage control. I used 1.27v and saw 1.248v under load for 5ghz and that is a mid tier board.

Asus? *Hello?*