Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array mdzcpa PC Specs
    mdzcpa PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair VIII Dark Hero
    Processor5900X 4.6ghz All core 1.3V, 5ghz single DOC
    Memory (part number)Gskill NEO 3600 CAS 14 32GB (4x8)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix RTX 3080
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorROG PG348Q
    Storage #1Samsung 980 Pro M.2 512GB for OS & APPS
    Storage #2Samsung 980 Pro M.2 1TB for GAMES
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CasePhanteks 500A Mesh
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 1000W Titanium
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset Corsaur Virtuoso
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300 Wide Desk Mat
    OS WIN 10 Pro
    Network RouterLinksys VELOP
    Accessory #1 ROG 751JY Laptop for Moobile Gaming
    Accessory #2 Koolance EXC-800 Chiller
    Accessory #3 25+ years of overclocking

Indeed the temps are very good. However, I must confess that at full speed the Ryujin sounds like a its about to take flight. The Noctuas are near silent down low but make some racket at the full 2000 rpm at the top of the fan curve, while the 60mm pump fan puts out quite a whine at full tilt as well. Running AVX is NOT quiet by any stretch if you want best cooling on this AIO. It sounds like the old Corsair H100i at full rpms but cools better. That said, I do like the fact the system can be silent while working desktop, humming quietly while gaming, and then still have the balls to handle some encoding and bench runs. I posted a little extra feedback in the Cooler forum so as not to task this thread any further off track.

Quote Originally Posted by Zammin View Post
    Nice man. Those temps are pretty good on an AIO. I have my 9900k temporarily on a Dark Rock Pro 4 air cooler, which is one of the best up there with the NH-D15 and when I run AVX tests like AIDA64 and Realbench it pulls 1.250V completely stock and the bloody thing nearly hits 100C on the cores...

ROG Enthusiast Array SilenMar PC Specs
    SilenMar PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus - ROG MAXIMUS X HERO
    ProcessorIntel - Core i7-8700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair - Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3000
    Graphics Card #1EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 Hybrid
    Graphics Card #2EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 Hybrid
    MonitorBenQ - XL2546 24.5" 1920x1080 240Hz, Acer - XB271HU bmiprz 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz
    Storage #1Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 120GB
    Storage #2Seagate - BarraCuda Pro 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM x3
    CPU CoolerCorsair - H110
    CaseCorsair - Air 540 Silver ATX Mid Tower
    Power SupplyEVGA - SuperNOVA T2 1600W 80+ Titanium
    Keyboard Corsair - K95 RGB PLATINUM
    Mouse Logitech - G703 (Black) Wireless Optical
    Headset Kingston - HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Accessory #1 Noctua - NF-F12
    Accessory #2 Noctua - NF-A14 x2
    Accessory #3 Noctua - NF-P14s redux x4

4 phases are just 4 phases. I do like to see if Maximus Xi Hero can have higher overlocking performance than any other boards. If the Maximus Xi Hero can do that, it is a good board after all.
    Last edited by SilenMar; 11-18-2018 at 01:19 PM.
    components in PCPartPicker
    Intel 8700K - 5.1GHz core, 5.0GHz cache, 1.37v
    EVGA FTW3 1080Ti Hybrid SLI - 2.0GHz core, 12GHz memory
    Asus Maximus X Hero
    Corsair Dominator 16x4GB - 3000MHz default XMP 15-17-17-35
    Fire Strike 36838 Extreme 25250 Ultra 14464

mdzcpa PC Specs
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorROG PG348Q
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CasePhanteks 500A Mesh
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset Corsaur Virtuoso
    OS WIN 10 Pro

I will comment one more time here. I feel I need to as I was one of the guys originally complaining a lot of the 4 phase design at the start of this thread.

Now that the system has been up and running for a week and I've had lots of time to play, I just don't see a problem functionally with the VRM design. I was very lucky with the silicon lottery and received a pretty strong 9900k sample. The IMC is very good and the chip is a good clocker. I've been able to get it to 5.1GHz stable but CPU temps finally overwhelm my AIO in 30-45 mins. 5GHz runs great however along with memory humming along at 4000 17Q.

Even without the VRM fan running on the Ryujin I never see VRM temps out of control. They get warm but not really hot. I'm also able to run 5GHz 24/7 and use Adaptive voltage without a hiccup. I think the VRM design here does a nice job in handling the rapid voltage changes.

Perhaps another brand board might get this chip to clock higher, but I strongly doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by SilenMar View Post
    4 phases are just 4 phases. I do like to see if Maximus Xi Hero can have higher overlocking performance than any other boards. If the Maximus Xi Hero can do that, it is a good board after all.

ROG Enthusiast Array Fatal1tyBD's Avatar

The most dodgiest power phasing I have ever seen on a high end consumer motherboard, just avoid it.

mdzcpa PC Specs
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorROG PG348Q
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CasePhanteks 500A Mesh
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset Corsaur Virtuoso
    OS WIN 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal1tyBD View Post
    The most dodgiest power phasing I have ever seen on a high end consumer motherboard, just avoid it.
    Why?

I can see folks being upset upset the advertising scheme that leads consumers to believe the board has an 8 phase VRM solution. I was pissed about that too. I think that was a huge mistake. I also agree that for a higher end board a true 8 phase (or better) properly implemented would have been better matched for the price point. But saying the VRM implementation on the Hero XI itself is "dodgy" (or the dodgiest) is a bit much.

Look around the net. Even the more recent board reviews since the Hero’s VRM solution was "exposed" have been very good. Daily
    users around the net also seem to being doing quite well in general with the board. I myself am running my 9900k at 5ghz all cores at 1.27 24/7....and even when beating on it with prime95 or benching the VRM does not get overly hot....about 55-65c with my AIO. Yes, based on some reviews and my own experience, the Hero XI appears to require a little more voltage than may be needed on another board with more phases, but the VRM Implementation on the Hero XI is far from “dodgy.” It's more like adequate instead of robust. Of course, if you want to bench hard and break records each day then perhaps the Extreme XI with beefy VRM is a better choice. But the Hero XI can easily clock the 9900k for daily use.

It's funny....I was someone who jumped in with the OP on this thread. I was really upset and concerned this board wouldn't cut it. But after calming down and using the board myself for several weeks, I just don't see it as the operational crisis others do. Yes, the advertising sucks. Consumers can choose another brand based on that alone if they want. That's understandable. But the board clocks the 9900k very well and doesn't come close to running too hot. The frothy panic is a bit over the top IMO. I also wouldn't change my Hero XI and it's 4 phase VRM implementation for another brand's 8/10/12 phase board that has a mediocre UEFI.
    Last edited by mdzcpa; 11-23-2018 at 02:50 AM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Zammin PC Specs
    Zammin PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula
    ProcessorIntel 9900K (Conductonaut Applied)
    Memory (part number)G Skill 3200Mhz Trident Z RGB 32GB 3200Mhz CL16
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080Ti FE
    MonitorAcer Predator XB271HU 165Hz
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M.2 NVME SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD
    CPU CoolerEKWB Velocity RGB
    CaseLian Li PC-011 Dynamic
    Power SupplyCorsair RM1000i
    Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum RGB
    Mouse Steel Series Rival 600
    Headset Astro A50 (Gen 2)
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Scabbard
    Headset/Speakers JBL LSR305 Mk II
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa View Post
    Why?

I can see folks being upset upset the advertising scheme that leads consumers to believe the board has an 8 phase VRM solution. I was pissed about that too. I think that was a huge mistake. I also agree that for a higher end board a true 8 phase (or better) properly implemented would have been better matched for the price point. But saying the VRM implementation on the Hero XI itself is "dodgy" (or the dodgiest) is a bit much.

Look around the net. Even the more recent board reviews since the Hero’s VRM solution was "exposed" have been very good. Daily
    users around the net also seem to being doing quite well in general with the board. I myself am running my 9900k at 5ghz all cores at 1.27 24/7....and even when beating on it with prime95 or benching the VRM does not get overly hot....about 55-65c with my AIO. Yes, based on some reviews and my own experience, the Hero XI appears to require a little more voltage than may be needed on another board with more phases, but the VRM Implementation on the Hero XI is far from “dodgy.” It's more like adequate instead of robust. Of course, if you want to bench hard and break records each day then perhaps the Extreme XI with beefy VRM is a better choice. But the Hero XI can easily clock the 9900k for daily use.

It's funny....I was someone who jumped in with the OP on this thread. I was really upset and concerned this board wouldn't cut it. But after calming down and using the board myself for several weeks, I just don't see it as the operational crisis others do. Yes, the advertising sucks. Consumers can choose another brand based on that alone if they want. That's understandable. But the board clocks the 9900k very well and doesn't come close to running too hot. The frothy panic is a bit over the top IMO. I also wouldn't change my Hero XI and it's 4 phase VRM implementation for another brand's 8/10/12 phase board that has a mediocre UEFI.
    That was the dilemma I ended up in as well. I was very upset by the blatant lies about the VRM as well but I couldn't find another board and UEFI that I liked.

Regarding the rumours that the ASUS boards require more voltage than others, I suspect it may actually have something to do with the voltage reading rather than the actual voltage used. I heard in a few places that ASUS boards read voltage slightly higher than others, even last gen. In fact I remember reading that in last gens motherboards Gigabyte boards were reading voltage slightly lower than what was actually being put through the CPU. This could still be the case this time.

Also on that note I have found that with my 9900k and XI Formula, different software reads the voltage differently for some reason. At defaults (auto everything, no overclock) when stressing with AVX loads like RealBench and AIDA64, I get a reading of 1.250V in HWinfo64, around 1.350V in AIDA64 and 1.144V in ROG CPU-Z... I'm pretty sure 1.250V is the correct one but with the thread that popped up last night about 9th gen reading -100mv compared to 8th gen I don't even know anymore lol.

mdzcpa PC Specs
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorROG PG348Q
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CasePhanteks 500A Mesh
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset Corsaur Virtuoso
    OS WIN 10 Pro

TAlso on that note I have found that with my 9900k and XI Formula, different software reads the voltage differently for some reason. At defaults (auto everything, no overclock) when stressing with AVX loads like RealBench and AIDA64, I get a reading of 1.250V in HWinfo64, around 1.350V in AIDA64 and 1.144V in ROG CPU-Z... I'm pretty sure 1.250V is the correct one but with the thread that popped up last night about 9th gen reading -100mv compared to 8th gen I don't even know anymore lol.
    I agree. I would like more clarity on this as well. The only thing I am sure of is that whatever I set in the UEFI at core voltage reports 100mv less in CPUZ and AI Suite 3 using LLC 6. But I think that is the real Vdroop and LLC 8 is needed to provide and report the same as what's entered in the UEFI. That said, I'm also getting different readings with different software. Hardware Monitor and AIDA both show higher voltages than what's in CPUZ/AIS 3.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array XYchromosone PC Specs
    XYchromosone PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximux XI Extreme [BIOS 1602]
    Processori9 9900KS
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB CL17 3600MHz 32GB [4x8]
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG Strix Gaming GTX 1080Ti 11GB
    MonitorAOC AGON AG271QG 27" 144Hz [165Hz OC]
    Storage #12 X Samsung 970 Pro NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD [DIMM.2_1+ DIMM.2_2]
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500GB SATA 3
    CPU CoolerThermaltake Floe Riing 360 Premium AIO
    CaseFractal Design Define R6 Black
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1600i
    Keyboard RAZER Blackwidow X Tournament Chroma
    Mouse RAZER Lancehead [ambidextrous] Chroma
    Headset Sennheiser RS165 Wireless
    Headset/Speakers Sennheiser CX 100 inner ear headphones
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64 + Ubuntu Studio 20.04
    Network RouterASUS DSL-AC68U

ASUS have removed all reference to 8 phase VRM on their Maximus XI product line

I'm not certain if anyone here has already mentioned this, or are aware, but a few days ago I went looking through all the ROG Maximus XI product line of mobos, and not one of those webpages mentioned the 8 phase VRM any more. So the original 8 phase VRM description has recently been removed from all the ROG Maximus XI product line.

Unusually enough, the ROG Maximus XI Gene appears to be an 8 phase VRM but even the webpage for this particular product does not mention anything about the VRM type.
    Last edited by XYchromosone; 11-25-2018 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Fix spelling and grammatical errors

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Zammin PC Specs
    Zammin PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula
    ProcessorIntel 9900K (Conductonaut Applied)
    Memory (part number)G Skill 3200Mhz Trident Z RGB 32GB 3200Mhz CL16
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080Ti FE
    MonitorAcer Predator XB271HU 165Hz
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M.2 NVME SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD
    CPU CoolerEKWB Velocity RGB
    CaseLian Li PC-011 Dynamic
    Power SupplyCorsair RM1000i
    Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum RGB
    Mouse Steel Series Rival 600
    Headset Astro A50 (Gen 2)
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Scabbard
    Headset/Speakers JBL LSR305 Mk II
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by XYchromosone View Post
    I'm not certain if anyone here has already mentioned this, or are aware, but a few days ago I went looking through all the ROG Maximus XI product line of mobos, and not one of those webpages mentioned the 8 phase VRM any more. So the original 8 phase VRM description has recently been removed from all the ROG Maximus XI product line.

Unusually enough, the ROG Maximus XI Gene appears to be an 8 phase VRM but even the webpage for this particular product does not mention anything about the VRM type.
    Yeah it's been picked up on. ASUS removed the references while staying silent.. No apologies for straight up lying about the phase count. Kinda insulting. I screenshotted the page that said "all ASUS Z390 motherboards have at least 8 phases" in case I need proof in the future.

https://imgur.com/TJfEYU8

The ROG Gene and Extreme have a 5 phase Vcore VRMs. I believe they are similar in design to the Hero/Code/Formula in that they have two mosfets per phase. Might be better components used though. I would've like to see that implemented on all the Maximus boards...
    Last edited by Zammin; 11-26-2018 at 12:02 AM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array XYchromosone PC Specs
    XYchromosone PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximux XI Extreme [BIOS 1602]
    Processori9 9900KS
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB CL17 3600MHz 32GB [4x8]
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG Strix Gaming GTX 1080Ti 11GB
    MonitorAOC AGON AG271QG 27" 144Hz [165Hz OC]
    Storage #12 X Samsung 970 Pro NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD [DIMM.2_1+ DIMM.2_2]
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500GB SATA 3
    CPU CoolerThermaltake Floe Riing 360 Premium AIO
    CaseFractal Design Define R6 Black
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1600i
    Keyboard RAZER Blackwidow X Tournament Chroma
    Mouse RAZER Lancehead [ambidextrous] Chroma
    Headset Sennheiser RS165 Wireless
    Headset/Speakers Sennheiser CX 100 inner ear headphones
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64 + Ubuntu Studio 20.04
    Network RouterASUS DSL-AC68U

Yeah it's been picked up on. ASUS removed the references while staying silent.. No apologies for straight up lying about the phase count. Kinda insulting. I screenshotted the page that said "all ASUS Z390 motherboards have at least 8 phases" in case I need proof in the future.

https://imgur.com/TJfEYU8

The ROG Gene and Extreme have phase Vcore VRMs. I believe they are similar in design to the Hero/Code/Formula in that they have two mosfets per phase. Might be better components used though. I would've like to see that implemented on all the Maximus boards...

I was thinking that the XI Gene [Extreme?] might be an 8 phase but going by "Actually Hardcore Overclocking" youtube video he believes it is a 5 phase:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM7kinrgyyY

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast