Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Whether it works or not is unimportant, I want to know if Asus is pulling a 3.5 GB GTX 970 here.

It is using a a 4 phases that are doubled? it is a true 8 phases? I already canceled my order, the lack of response from Asus is highly suspect.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Check out these two posts at overclock.net for more details on the VRM config.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-in...l#post27683206
    https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-in...l#post27680702

On the cpu it's a 4 phase using a doubled set of components, two full power stages per phase. This reduces response time compared to boards which use doublers (probably the biggest reason they went this way), and the mosfets used also have great thermal performance. In practice, this board behaves more or less like an 8 phase, and seems to perform at least on par with comparable 8-10 phase boards. An example was given where it had lower VRM temps than a 10 phase Z390 board with the same amount of power.

As has been stated a bunch of times already, there's no empirical evidence anywhere that this board is a bad overclocker. The hardware unboxed video was completely wrong about the source of Linus's low temps and power. There's already documentation of the Maximus Hero going to 6.5-7.0 GHz on LN2 or helium, so the VRM's can obviously handle far more current than any of us are likely to run through it.

As for the "Is Asus being deceptive?" question, it's unclear. While not technically an 8 phase board, it does have 8 power stages on the core with double per phase. This is probably where the "twin 8 phase" BS came from. It's all marketing speak so I don't think it's in the same ballpark as Asus publishing technical specs which clearly mis-state the phase configuration. Non-technical product/marketing descriptions play fast and loose with the facts all the time; Asus isn't the only one who does this. I'd love it if all the manufacturers would publish components/specs in detail, but there are valid reasons why they don't and I understand. So I sort of understand why the called it 8 phase, but I wish they'd provided more detail/explanation since it was a departure from their previous generation and confused people for a number of days until we figured it out.
    Last edited by tostitobandito; 10-24-2018 at 10:50 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKSAMA View Post
    Whether it works or not is unimportant, I want to know if Asus is pulling a 3.5 GB GTX 970 here.

It is using a a 4 phases that are doubled? it is a true 8 phases? I already canceled my order, the lack of response from Asus is highly suspect.
    So basically the source of the "it's fake 8 phase" stems from the fact that previously buildzoid made statements on what constitutes a 'real' phase by making a distinction of 'no doublers, no real phase'. So several people in the 'it's fake' camp were citing both the picture I showed earlier of the XI Hero, clearly with no IR3599 doublers, and then also referring people to this buildzoid vid on how Gigabyte used fake phases and were misrepresenting what they were doing.

So here is that vid ... its cued to the start of the discussion where the whole 'no doubler, no phase' comes from. Just watch to about 36:00
    https://youtu.be/3IjWCOXSuKU?t=2005

So essentially everyone ran with that reasoning as now Asus no longer uses the more traditional IR3599's. SO they were saying 'no doublers, no true phase'

But, then a couple days ago buildzoid made this comment on Reddit

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buildzoids comments on the Asus Maximus Hero.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	76515

And now, guess what? Many of those same folks, especially on Reddit are suddenly not so quick to call it fake anymore., because they realize that Asus accomplishes the same thing in a different way. The explanation of how Asus now accomplishes it is covered above by Elmor above and you can read even more detailed explanations of it at overclock.net 's thread on Z370 / Z390 VRM Discussion Thread. The topic is woven throughout the thread, but pick it up around here

https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-in...hread-249.html

And the reddit poster who essentially spammed the threads with that picture above and the buildzoid vid, is now backing down and saying "Did some research and you're apparently doubled up by a up1961 ic instead of the more common IR doublers."

The info is there, but not all in one place. I'm not 100% on every exact detail, but I've now read and understood enough over the last few days to feel confident keeping the XI Hero. My takeaway is that their current iteration is a more efficient method without compromising on performance to the point where there would be dangerous thermals or degradation.

EDIT: tostitobandito thanks, you got to it before me while I was still writing my message
    Last edited by jackflynn; 10-25-2018 at 12:35 AM.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array mdzcpa PC Specs
    mdzcpa PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero XI
    Processor9900k @ 5.1Ghz All Core 1.315v AVX -2
    Memory (part number)Gskill GTZ 4133 C17 32GB (4x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 2080 TI OC
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorROG PG348Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro M.2 512GB for OS & APPS
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Pro M.2 1TB for GAMES
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 1000W Titanium
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset Corsaur VOID Pro
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300 Wide Desk Mat
    OS WIN 10 Pro
    Network RouterLinksys VELOP
    Accessory #1 ROG 751JY Laptop for Moobile Gaming
    Accessory #2 Koolance EXC-800 Chiller
    Accessory #3 25+ years of overclocking

That was great info over on overclock.net. So the Hero XI is indeed a beefed up 4 phase that runs in parallel (without doublers) and has 8 drivers and 8 power stages. AlphaC on OC.net believes this design is more efficient than running doublers and he clearly recommends the board. That info also explains Asus' market terminology of "Twin 8 phase power design".... so that passes muster IMO.

Well, this issue is closed for me unless some other news pops up. Thanks to those that posted good info here on the thread.

Just waiting on the 9900k to ship....and while I'm waiting I may rethink a custom water loop versus the Corsair 150i I was planning.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Extended 8-phase = 4x PWM signals + doubler IC in interleaving mode
    Twin 8-phase = 4x PWM signals each to two power stages

Load step from 45A to 193A. What you see is the transient response, ie the resulting output voltage with load changes. It's not that the VRM has less droop, it's that the VRM is faster at adapting to the new load scenario resulting in less undershoot.

ROG Member Array

Well that Twin 8 phase looks much more tight and sexier than the Extended 8 phase. I know one thing, im definitely keeping my Maxims XI Hero. Now we just need Intel to send us some 9900Ks faster !!!
    Last edited by Doko15; 10-26-2018 at 07:52 AM.

ROG Member Array

Elmor
    "STRIX Z370-E / Z370-F ... Reportedly they have a 200W power limit in BIOS."
    This is true?
    Do you have any new information?
    Thanks...

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by ScomComputers LTD. View Post
    Elmor
    This is true?
    Thanks...
    Here is an interesting update to the whole power limiting issue. An answer provided by Asus to Bryan from TechYESCity on the floor @ PAX Aus Oct 27th.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv_WlnfttYo
    While this doesn't name the STRIX Z370-E and Z370-F specifically it does say the Maximus Hero XI can handle well over 200 Watts absolutely fine.
    Importantly it clears up the question of how Linus and other reviewers got power limited on the board.

But to answer your question as to whether this would also apply to the STRIX Z370-E / Z370-F, perhaps Elmor could still weigh in.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by ScomComputers LTD. View Post
    Elmor
    This is true?
    Thanks...
    Seems ok to me. Just 50x ratio set, offset + 0.100V, Tjmax = 115*C.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by elmor View Post
    Seems ok to me. Just 50x ratio set, offset + 0.100V, Tjmax = 115*C.
    Thank you!
    I think I do not buy a hero, I buy f-gaming, I do not use prime95 and linx ,only games.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast