cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FACT-Double Boot Issue is related with MEMORY

greg_m
Level 10
Hi all!

Im glad to say that after testing my system the last 3 months i can now present my first positive findings 🙂 :

When i run my system with this ram G.skill F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH i have the double boot issue whatever i try or do and believe me ive tried everything the last 2 months. The last thing i tried was to run cpu @ stock and mem @ 1600 and default timings but nothing, no success.

I have also 2 - different - pair of this ram G.skill F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM, so i tried installing both because i "need" 16gb of mem.
Nothing, same problem even with mem set @ 1600 and default timings. Here, i must say that my attempt with these 2 pair of ram was before buying this ram G.skill F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH, i think it was before almost three monts.

Before 10 days i rmaed my mobo hoping the problem could be solved with a new one. Next day i received a new one instelled everything (including this G.skill F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH) and... i got the same problem 😞 It was then i decided to give it a last try with just the one pair of this ram G.skill F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM. I set the ram @ 1600 and default timings and... guess what..:)

a whole week without the double boot issue....

Next step will be running the ram @ the rated speed which is 2133mhz and 9-11-10-28.
I hope it will work

Anyway, ill keep you guys informed...:cool:

Btw, it would be really nice if someone from the forum could tell Asus bios-technicians about these, so they could reproduce the problem and maybe fix it

Edit: here comes some info about this issue
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?278210-Asus-Maximus-IV-Extreme-boot-issues
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10262-MAximus-Extreme-IV-Z-Problems-with-quot-double-bootin...
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?7617-Is-there-any-news-progress-with-the-DOUBLE-BOOTING-iss...
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?6602-Maximus-IV-Extreme-Z-Double-Booting
Phanteks Enthoo Primo - ASUS Z370 HERO X - I7 8700K - CRUCIAL 16gb PC4-27700 CL16 @ 3466 - Sapphire VEGA 64 - Corsair AX 1200w
18 REPLIES 18

billpower
Level 7
Hello greg!

It seems the same problem as mine : http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10553-Maximus-4-Extreme-z-Memory-Issues

Look i really think it is some strange bug combination between Gskill rams (some series) and plug in all ram slots.

I found the solution was running with only 2 ram sticks of this memory if i want some overclock or change the memory to another brand. I don't know if this could be a definitive solution, but i had some guesses that if i put some 4 Corsair Dominator sticks the motherboad will work fine even if i try to overclock.

I'd like to say that this motherboard seems to behave really odd in some cases look at this thread and be sure of what i'm talking: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10310-USB-ports-stops-working-randomly.

What could be more crazier than that?:confused:

According to G.SKILL website your G.skill F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH is for X79 based motherboards.
Your G.skill F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM is designed to be used in your Z68 based board.

FACT: the memory that is causing the double booting is incompatible for your board.
"In a world of compromise, some don't."

aberdeen wrote:
According to G.SKILL website your G.skill F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH is for X79 based motherboards.
Your G.skill F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM is designed to be used in your Z68 based board.

FACT: the memory that is causing the double booting is incompatible for your board.

You just dont read everything before you say something....
According to g.skill - if you go to their forums this memory is backwards compatible... with p67 and z68
Besides if you had checked the links i gave, you would see that there is people with different mem who has the same problem

Phhh, some people think their are smart...
Phanteks Enthoo Primo - ASUS Z370 HERO X - I7 8700K - CRUCIAL 16gb PC4-27700 CL16 @ 3466 - Sapphire VEGA 64 - Corsair AX 1200w

greg.m wrote:
You just dont read everything before you say something....
According to g.skill - if you go to their forums this memory is backwards compatible... with p67 and z68
Besides if you had checked the links i gave, you would see that there is people with different mem who has the same problem

Phhh, some people think their are smart...

From the links you provided from you posts, there is no mention that the double boot is indeed from the memory.
And what I gathered from G.Skill forum is the G.skill tech telling people that the Z memory is optomized for the X79 boards, BUT it should work ok for Z68/P67.
If that is the case, then tell the morons at G.skill to change the application on the memorys webpage.
I for one, would go for memory that is specified for my board.

Try this: put two sticks in the red slots and set your vccsa/io to 1.2 volts , dram voltage to 1.65v, and use the speced timing for 2133Mhz.
For this test, do not overclock the cpu. keep it stock.
let me know the the results.
"In a world of compromise, some don't."

greg_m
Level 10
Here comes an update...

XMP with this G.skill F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM gives, after a cold boot, sporadicly double-boot with a system freeze at windows logo (as expected 😞 )
I tried with 1.2v vccsa/io but... same sh.t again. Now im running the system with 1.25v vccsa/io and ive not had double-boots after 1 day and many cold boots...

@aberdeen

Its my conclusion and my "personal findings" that the double boot is related with ram and not marvell, jmicron, boot settings etc. And believe me ive played with almost any of these irrelevant settings.
I gave these links just to point you to the problem and some more info about it, i never said there is any mention that the double boot is from the memory.
Anyway, im playing now with vccsa/io as you said/see but im not sure whats the "safe" limit.

@all

more updates soon...

greg_m
Level 10
Even with 1.25 vccsa/io i keep getting the double-boots when running one pair of these G.skill F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM @ rated speed, which is 2133. BUT when i run this mem @ default, which is 1600, my system doesnt double-boot.

Should i try raising vccsa/io even more?

BTW, is there anyone out there who runs 8gb or 16gb ram @ 2133 and this board without problem? If yes which ram do you you use?

For a week now it starts without this issue and i never touched the bios for 3 weeks...i'm sure that this strange boot problem resolved itself....

greg_m
Level 10
Can someone from asus (or an administrator, moderator or anyone who knows) tell me whats the max "safe" voltage for vccsa/io in the maximus extreme z68 please?

greg_m
Level 10
Once again, ive tried with my 16gb g.skills @ 1600, all mem settings at auto, but the problem remains. I have to say that this booting issue happens sporadically, during a cold boot and when in windows my system is rock stable. Higher vccsa/io doesn’t help, have tried up to 1.3v in bios but nothing.

Now, here is something interesting. I also own a Big Bang Marshal (p67) and I had exactlythe same issue, system stuck @ debug code 19 reboot and then code 69 when the system freeze just before windows . Before some weeks they released a bios which fixes this problem. It would be nice if ASUS could analyze their bios/es and find out how they managed to fix this issue.

Here is a link with their different bioses and the last one which fixes the problem plus the last answer I received from their support:

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=148071.0