cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would changing ram size affect OC stability?

LiveOrDie
Level 11
I upgrade from 4x8gb 3400mhz corsair sticks to 4x16gb g skill 3000mhz and my system has froze and i've got System_pte_misuse BSOD, would increasing ram size on just the 4 slots make a stable OC unstable?
12 REPLIES 12

Abaidor
Level 9
Bump up the voltage a bit to maybe 1.39 and check again..and yes size may impact your oc.
Asus Rampage VI Extreme | i9-7940X | 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 | Asus Strix 1080Ti OC | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Gold 10TB | WD Red 4TB X 2 | PSU Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Loop - RAD MO-RA3 420 Pro | EK Monoblock | Phanteks GPU Block | Heatkiller 200 Tube RES | EK Dual D5 Revo Pumps | 9 X Corsair ML 140 Pro Fans on RAD | | Bitspower Fittings Black Chrome | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Modded Case | Silent WIngs 3 120mm Intake |

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello there,

yes increasing the amount of memory will have some effect on how much harder the IMC has to work. Now could you possibly tell me how you set up your memory when you swapped them out? Did you enable the profiles or simply swap out?

If you manually changed the bios setup for your memory could you share that with me please.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

LiveOrDie
Level 11
I found the issue it wasn't my OC it was my Temps 105C + on some cores, yes i know this is extreme i reinstalled windows and forgot to install my fan controller software, and the program giving me these temps only does this type of stress on a clean install.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Temps will do that but also be aware that when you change dram it takes tuning it up again. Not all work well with the CPU at a given clock speed. Some you have to set manually and go up or down on CPU and/or memory speeds and CAS settings to get the most out of it.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
As others have rightly pointed out, increasing memory capacity and module size has and adverse effect on overclocking range. Thankfully SKL-X does well with coping with these kits, but doesn’t hurt to do a few laps of Ramtest or HCI to make sure. VCCSA range for stability is far more narrow on X299 which makes things easier, too.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thank you for posting back with the cause of your temps.

Takes a big man to put their hand up and say I made a mistake on a public forum. Respect buddy.

Are you going to be spending any more time with the memory you have added, if yes please do share with us how it is going thanks.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

xarot
Level 11
OT/

Wow HiVizMan glad to see you posting here again. I don't remember seeing you a lot here since the X79 days. Hope all is well. 🙂
Main: i9-10980XE - Rampage VI Extreme Encore - 64 GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 CL16 - Strix RTX 3090 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Corsair AX1500i - Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB + Intel 600P 1TB - Water cooling
HTPC: i7-6950X - X99-M WS - 32 GB G.Skill RipjawsV DDR4-2400 - GTX1050TI - Bitfenix Pandora - Corsair AX860 - Intel 750 400 GB + Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO
All around: i9-7980XE - Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB G.Skill 4000 CL18-19-19-39 - Strix RTX3090 - Phanteks P500A - Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB - Water cooling

xarot wrote:
OT/

Wow HiVizMan glad to see you posting here again. I don't remember seeing you a lot here since the X79 days. Hope all is well. 🙂

Goodness me xarot hello buddy you still around?

Yeah I developed testicular cancer just after the X79 platform was released. Had to take a few years off while dealing with that and complications. But what does not kill makes you stronger my friend. Now I am 100% again and enjoying life to the full again.

Good to see so many of the old faces around. Life been good to you I hope?

HiVizMan wrote:
Goodness me xarot hello buddy you still around?

Yeah I developed testicular cancer just after the X79 platform was released. Had to take a few years off while dealing with that and complications. But what does not kill makes you stronger my friend. Now I am 100% again and enjoying life to the full again.

Good to see so many of the old faces around. Life been good to you I hope?

Oh I'm really sorry to hear that and it must have been a very difficult time for you 😞 Very delighted to hear you have recovered.

Yes some of us are still around. For my part, everything's good. Got a son nowadays so lack of sleep and way less time for PC stuff. But I'm still here while I can.
Main: i9-10980XE - Rampage VI Extreme Encore - 64 GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 CL16 - Strix RTX 3090 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Corsair AX1500i - Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB + Intel 600P 1TB - Water cooling
HTPC: i7-6950X - X99-M WS - 32 GB G.Skill RipjawsV DDR4-2400 - GTX1050TI - Bitfenix Pandora - Corsair AX860 - Intel 750 400 GB + Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO
All around: i9-7980XE - Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB G.Skill 4000 CL18-19-19-39 - Strix RTX3090 - Phanteks P500A - Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB - Water cooling