cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Code M.2 Slots

URASucKaFisH
Level 7
Hello,

I am putting together a new build with a Maximus XI Code and one Samsung 970 Evo NVMe. On this board there are two M.2 slots but I am a bit confused as to which one to use when only one M.2 drive is utilized. The manual makes it seem like you can use either so I believe going with the first slot would be correct. Would this be the correct configuration to make sure the 970 Evo is running at its maximum speed?

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks

Edit:
I just ran across this page in the manual that shows the first slot is capable of SATA mode as well as the 22110 form factor, but it doesn't specifically say which slot to use with only one M.2 so I am assuming it doesn't really matter as long as the first slot is operating in PCIe mode. Any thoughts?

21 REPLIES 21

Nate152
Hi URASucKaFisH

Welcome to the ROG forum !

Both M.2 slots can run at x4 so you can use either.

Some prefer the 2nd M.2 slot as it's not constrained to the board. There may be a mounting bracket for the 2nd M.2 slot, I'm not 100% sure on that though.

I can't find any pictures but I would think they mount pretty much the same on the Maximus XI boards.

M.2 slot 1

https://www.google.com/search?q=maximus+Xi+M.2+slot+number+2&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS815US815&tbm=isch&tbo=u...

M.2 slot 2

https://www.google.com/search?q=maximus+XI+M.2+slot+number+2&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS815US815&tbm=isch&tbo=u...

URASucKaFisH
Level 7
On the Maximus XI Code both M.2 slots are right by each other, laying flat, and both are under the heat shield. So with that then I guess it wouldn't matter at all in regards to the correct speed.

Nate152
After seeing the manual, as you say it looks like both M.2 ssd's get mounted to the board.

But at any rate the 970 evo is 2280 which both slots support and both slots can run at pcie x4.

URASucKaFisH
Level 7
Thank you for the information Nate152!

Nate152

URASucKaFisH
Level 7
I was actually leaning that way myself since it would be closer to the front fans, but not sure if that would really make a difference for temps to be honest.

Nate152
I see the Maximus XI Code comes with an M.2 heatsink, I imagine you install it on the ssd.

URASucKaFisH
Level 7
Absolutely. It's one large cover that houses both M.2 slots. It has some kind of adhesive on the back that covers each SSD as well.

Nate152
It should help control temps as M.2 ssd's can run hot, plus you say you have fans in the front as intake, I don't see you having any temp issues.

I'm curious of your new build, care to list all your parts including your case and if you're liquid or air cooling ?