cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 M2 drives on VII and confusion on setup.

Sinner37
Level 9
Crosshair Vii Hero
Ryzen 2700x
1080 Ti FTW 3 Gaming (I know it will run @ 8x when running two m2 drives, that isn't my issue)
m2.1 slot : 960 Pro Evo 250g NVME Drive
M2.2 Slot : WDS100T2B0B
SATA6G_1 (and tried 2) : Asus optical drive

Regardless of Drive, M2.2 will not report either of my nvme drives.

all m2/PCIE/SATA settings I can find have all been tried, raid, no raid, ahci, no SATA installed. I have latest BIOS installed. I have reset the cmos using the button on the back. Any thoughts would be appreciated. These are all new components except the GPU. Could GPU issues be causing issues with the secondary M2 slot? I don't see why, but who knows, I am here asking for help so I guess I'm open to hearing any idea's.

EDIT: Just realized this WD is SATA III 6 Gb/s, M.2 2280 is the fact it's not pcie part of the issue? Guess I need to google with this new info I found. When I ordered it I thought It read PCIE. Ok, I figured out that the m2.1 only supports ssd mode not m2.2 so now to figure out why it wasn't working at first but I am guessing that only had to do with bios that if I had installed windows it would have shown up.
2 REPLIES 2

Sinner37
Level 9
If you are reading this and having the same problem its user error.

The system worked fine, I had the SSD drive that I thought was a PCIE device in the m.2_1 slot which does NOT support SSD based m2's when (always?) using 2 m2 drives. Once I moved the Samsung to M2.2, put the WD in m2.1 windows picked up the drive, I was able to create a new simple volume and format as expected. Sorry for any confusion 😃 New to this whole m2 thing.

HiVizMan
Level 40
My friend thank you for taking the time to visit and post your outcome. It is very rare that people will have the courage to say that it was human error.

My thanks and respect to you. Please do visit again Sinner you would be most welcome buddy.

Have added to your rep.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.