cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pg 348q monitor question.

Rob_W_
Level 12
Is this a 4K monitor ?
In the adds it says 4K but in the products listing it says nothing about it being 4K,
I’m a bit behind on monitor specs so it may just be my ignorance in this field.
What I am looking for is a good 4K monitor at a reasonable cost and the pg34q is at my upper limit but looks cool  mainly use for gaming.
34” would fit my desk well ( if I shift my other rig off), I’ve been using a 28” Iiama red eagle 144hzs but it’s getting on now and has an annoying screen scratch bottom left (bugs the hell out of me ) but working well.
If you think there is a better choice please say, I would be interested to here views on this.*
Seen it advertised here at £890.00 I think that’s about $1100.
11 REPLIES 11

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
It seems to be 21:9 aspect ratio...3440x1440 so it's like a stretched 2K screen

4K for most consumer stuff is 3840x2160

Rob_W_
Level 12
Thanks Arne, seems a lot of monitors online get advertised as 4K when in fact they are not! *Glad I asked the question now.:)

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

Rob_W_
Level 12
So I’ve found a couple of monitors which makes me even more confused ��*♂️*
*Mg28uq 1ms response under £400
Pb287q 1ms response under £400
Both are what I’d call cheep for 4K monitors yet going for a higher grade 4K *32” over £1000 *(professional model) it’s 6ms response, which I gather is no good for gaming?
The cg28 which I think is the latest is even 13 ms response.
I am definitely in a quandry as to *which monitor to go for, any ideas guys?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I presume the low ms response times are TN panels?

As far as I can make out if you want good colours you want panels that have higher response times....but for me 5 or 6 ms is fine for gaming. I'm not some pro gamer that needs 1ms. I'm into photography so I've always bought IPS with good colour coverage and always had 5 or 6ms screens...they've always been great for gaming.

"you must have moar Hz and less GTG" is just marketing drivel.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I presume the low ms response times are TN panels?

As far as I can make out if you want good colours you want panels that have higher response times....but for me 5 or 6 ms is fine for gaming. I'm not some pro gamer that needs 1ms. I'm into photography so I've always bought IPS with good colour coverage and always had 5 or 6ms screens...they've always been great for gaming.

"you must have moar Hz and less GTG" is just marketing drivel.

Thanks again Arne.
I am also a keen photographer and like to do photo/ video editing which is why I was looking at the higher models but found there spec confusing when it comes to gaming.
I realise if I was only gaming then 1ms response, great!
Photo editing speed not so essential but quality foremost ? so as you say 5/6 ms response ok for both worlds.
Although it is good to have plenty of choices, sometimes there can be too many to chose from:confused:*
Sometimes it is easy to get caught up in market drivel to easy in fact!
But yeh! This is an area I do find confusing and there is nowhere here anymore where I can go to compare monitors ( due to age of the internet killing shops) *
So now looking at PA 328q £ 999.00 *

JustinThyme
Level 13
Nice to see more people into the art of painting with light.
When you stop and think about it Id bet you can sit a million people down in front of two panels, one with a 1ms response and the other with a 6ms response and equal in every other way and no one could tell them apart. Working in the critical power industry there are machines that are made to switch between two synchronized sources, namely a static switch. They are marketed and sold as a seamless non break transfer when in reality there is no such critter. There is always a break transfer of 4-10ms. Sensitive electronics cant tell the difference, you would never know it if you were holding a light bulb in your hand that is powered by it. I have to use the high frequency Oscopes to be able to capture and compare to make sure the switches meet specifications. So if there is a human that can see and react in 1ms please come see me, I have a million $$ job for you as you have abilities that exceed most high frequency electronics. Refresh rate and color reproduction is where its at and even the refresh rate has human limitations. Even pixels per inch have limitations in perception.

On the other end of producing images in the first place the higher resolution cameras lose sharpness when the pixels per inch on a given sensor go past a certain point. Im still sitting on two older camera bodies because of it. I'm a Canon person and the CPS facility in Jamesburg NJ is 10 minutes from me. When new stuff comes out I can get it on a loan to try out. Im still sitting on my 1Ds MkIII for full frame and 1D Mk IV for sports. Until the actual sensors get bigger, like the high $$ Hasselbad large format caameras, jamming more pixels in the same space just kills IQ.

With all that said Im using a PG348Q and very happy with it for color reproduction aand response. Xrite colormunki calibration before and after has nearly no change, that says something.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Here it would be photROGraphy™

😮

Rob W. wrote:
So now looking at PA328Q

That's a nice 4K monitor

Rob_W_
Level 12
PhotROGraphy! Lol
JustinTyme *Yep, at the end of the day we are only human with human sensors, many times I’ve clicked the camera down on ppi to get a cleaner shot, same happened when I was into hi fi there’s a limit to what the ears can hear.
So will search where I can get the cheepest PA328Q ( thats about the limit for my desk) it has some nice features I would use as well. ( unusual for me to buy something that has features I’d use lol);)