cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Fix X-Fi MB2 Sound Problems on Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula

Henkenator68NL
Level 13
If you finally want to have good quality sound from your CVH follow THESE STEPS TO THE LETTER:

1. Uninstall All Creative Soundblaster X-Fi software
(if you didn’t install that software yet, proceed to step 2)
After Uninstall you will be asked if you want to reboot youre system,
cancel this for now.
2. Now Uninstall ALL Realtek High Definition Audio Drivers (from Realtek Semiconductors Corp.)
3. Now Reboot your system.
4. Run a registry sweep program to get rid off all remaining sound settings in the Registry.
I always use: Driver Sweeper.
(Its free and you can download it at: http://www.phyxion.net/)
Run the program and clean the registry from all Sound Related Driver info from:
- Asus Sound
- Realtek Sound
- Creative Sound
5. Now Reboot your system.
6. Wait Untill Windows finishes installing drivers for new found hardware.
7. Download the latest version off the following driver:
High Definition Audio Codecs from Realtek.
Link: http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownType...
8. Choose 32 or 64bits version (check your Windows version).
You can also download the larger installer containing both 32 and 64bit.
9. Current Version (as per 2012/11/02): R.67 updated on 2011/12/16
10. Install this driver.
11. Reboot your system
12. Download the latest Sound Blaster X-Fi MB 2 Utility V1.0(R11) for Windows Vista/7 32bit & 64bit from Asus
website, Link: support.asus.com. Find your Motherboard and choose 32 or 64bit,
you will find it under Download / Utilities. Current Version: V1.0(R11)
13. Install Sound Blaster X-Fi MB 2 Utility.
14. Reboot your system.
15. Go to folder in program list: Creativ/ Sound Blaster X-Fi MB 2. Click Activate
16. Start Sound Blaster Console and setup your speakers, your output port, EAX, Equalizer and THX.
17. YOU NOW HAVE EVERYTHING READY AND WORKING.

No more problems like:
- Hissing Sound (ea during Windows start, reboot, shutdown or suspend)
- Stuttering
- You CAN USE SPDIF with all Surround Speaker options (stereo, 5.1, 7.1 etc!)
- No need to buy a separate Soundcard to get great sound (as some people did unfortunately).

I have seen a lot of questions on websites and forums about this problem, but so far never seen a complete solution. All kinds of comments about hardware setup, Windows Version, Bios Version, Defective Motherboards that are RMA-ed.
Replies from Asus that the software works fine…. Yes it does but if you miss 1 little step in above described procedure it will not work.

This is all very strange and I think it arises because:
- Motherboard Manufacturers like Asus, MSI etc buy a third-party sound controller.
- In this case from Realtek (works mainly with OEMs), This is a fine Controller.
- This chip (Realtek ALC889 @ ATI SB800 - High Definition Audio Controller) needs a driver from Realtek.
- Somehow this controller is partly disabled: you can’t get more than stereo on SPDIF. No 5.1 or 7.1 can be selected.
- Manufacturers want to market their Motherboard in the best way so they buy a “X-Fi 2 SupremeFx” sticker” and put
it on the Controller on the Motherboard. A Software package from Creativ Soundblaster is bought and included
(bringing: X-Fi® Xtreme Fidelity™ , EAX® Advanced™ HD 5.0, THX® TruStudio PRO™, Creative ALchemy, Blu-ray
audio layer Content Protection, Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel.
- It now looks like you have bought a motherboard with an onboard Creative X-Fi Soundblaster, this is not the case.
It is a Realtek Controller with a Creative Software Package.
- Only by installing the Creative Soundblaster X-Fi MB2 drivers (as discribed) most functions from the sound card are
unlocked.
- Now its time to get confused (that is clear 😉 when they have installed the Realtek Driver the Sound seems to be
okay and nothing in system management askes for more or other drivers.
So why install Creative Software – that’s what I thought – until strange things started to happen….
- You check your driver DVD or download site and install Creative Software …..
- And then it states: the hardware needed for this software is not installed on your system, choose other device.
But you can’t choose any other device. So now you are in a loop.
How can you install drivers for hardware that’s not there…..
- Only if you follow exact procedure.
- If you try to find drivers at creative site …. You can’t find it, because it’s not listed as official product.
If you go and search in OEM directory you can come across this:
http://www.creative.com/oem/products/software/x-fimb2.asp

- Not a word about where to get software and how to solve any problems.
- If you want Dolby Digital Live and DTS support …. You have to buy it at Creative…
- If you go to Realtek you have to really dig deep to find these drivers.
- At Asus site and forums I couldn’t get a clear picture about it too.
- If I see all these questions, lots of people complaining, RMA’s and no solution ???
This costs money and customers…

Well, this story got a lot longer than intended but my frustration about this went down a lot while writing…
I hope you benefit from my findings !!

And the funny part was this happened to me before and couldn’t get it fixed than. It was 3 years ago with my Asus ROG Rampage extreme … (different controller from Soundmax but also SupremeFX X-Fi with Creative software..)

Greeting from the Netherlands
41 REPLIES 41

HiVizMan
Level 40
WOW I like your work dude.

Thank you for the information.

Greetings from the UK.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Llama
Level 7
Good job. Luckily my x-fi just worked fine first go. 😛
Crosshair V
FX-8350
16GB Vengeance
2x Gigabyte 6970 OC Windforce

Sir_Slappy
Level 9
Thank you very much for posting this guide. I was wondering why my sound was not that good and I had hissing sounds when shutting my system down or adjusting the volume. I did not know that you had to have both the Sound Blaster software and realtek drivers installed lol. I installed the Realtek drivers and everything is much better now, the sound is incredibly good now! Thanks
Motherboard- Maximus VII GENE
CPU- Intel i5-4690K 4.5GHz 1.25Vcore
CPU Cooler- EK Supremacy (Acetal+ Nickel)
RAM- 16gb G.Skill 2133MHz 9-11-11-31 1.6V
GPU- EVGA GTX 780
SSD- OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
SSD- Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
PSU- EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2
Case- CaseLabs SM5
OS- Windows 8.1 64bit

Henkenator68NL
Level 13
You are Welcome!

NanoTechSoldier
Level 7
I've Never Had This Problem You Mention... ???? I Just Installed The Latest Drivers For The Motherboard.. When I First Started Windows On New Build...

If You Are Using Active Speakers... The Amplifier Module, On Speakers.. Can Be Causing The Problem Of Hissing Too...
| AMD FX-8150 @ 5.192GHZ | Antec Kuhler h20 920 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula/Thunderbolt |
|16GB GSkill Sniper PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM + 32GB AMD "RADEON Edition" 1866MHz SDRAM |
| CoolerMaster Silent PRO Hybrid 1300W With Fan Controller | ASUS EAH6970 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5 |
| Xigmatek Water Cooling Tower With 2.5"/3.5" Sata Dock Built In | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 |

NanoTechSoldier wrote:
I've Never Had This Problem You Mention... ???? I Just Installed The Latest Drivers For The Motherboard.. When I First Started Windows On New Build...

If You Are Using Active Speakers... The Amplifier Module, On Speakers.. Can Be Causing The Problem Of Hissing Too...

Just do a quick search on sound and crosshar v formula; you'll see a lot off people posting about sound problems ....

I followed Your instructions to a T on fresh install of windows 7 HP 64 Bit and still get a hiss at shut down and restarts. Perhaps the problem my be a setting in the SB X-Fi OR my speakers just not compatible the are pretty old Creative GCS300.
Used on other builds and never had this problem.

Henkenator68NL
Level 13
Hello Mithcellcht,

Sorry to hear the "hissing" sound problem once again surffaces... Anybody else have that problem again?
Question about installation: Which BIOS driver are you running?
Other question: did you get All soundblaster software installing correct? Can you run all SB Software like shown in picture below?

Maybe something is not set correctly in there??

Greetings Henkenator68NL

Henkenator68NL wrote:
Hello Mithcellcht,

Sorry to hear the "hissing" sound problem once again surffaces... Anybody else have that problem again?
Question about installation: Which BIOS driver are you running?
Other question: did you get All soundblaster software installing correct? Can you run all SB Software like shown in picture below

I am also having the "hissing" problem, as well as some static when watching movies or listening to music. It's faint but once you hear it's there you can't stop hearing it. I hear the static on my headset (Logitech g930 usb) and desktop speakers (old Creative analog). I've tried walking through your step by step about 3 times now and still have the same problem. Any suggestions?