Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Fresh install of Windows and all components are brand new just for this build.

I have checked how the cards seat in great detail with no luck. Looks perfect each time, but I have tried different approaches to how it is bolted down and even tried it unbolted so it hangs just a bit. Clearly this does have something to do with how the cards are seated or at-least the PCI lanes in general. Hours of tinkering with removing and re-seating the cards wasted. I even loosened all the MB screws and checked the alignment of the board to see if that changes anything with the rear of the case. No luck.

I really appreciate all the help.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    Take the board out of the chassis, set it up on a non-conductive surface, and then check if the graphics card works correctly.
    I'll give this a try after work. Thanks.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Resolved! Before pulling the board, I tried removing the 2nd (lower) M.2 card that shares a PCI-e lane and sure enough, that was the culprit!

Does anyone have any suggestions on BIOS settings to be able to use the 2nd M.2 slot without interfering with the GPU in slot 1?

Thanks again for all your help.
    Last edited by timelapse; 10-29-2018 at 02:55 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by timelapse View Post
    Resolved! Before pulling the board, I tried removing the 2nd (lower) M.2 card that shares a PCI-e lane and sure enough, that was the culprit!

Does anyone have any suggestions on BIOS settings to be able to use the 2nd M.2 slot without interfering with the GPU in slot 1?

Thanks again for all your help.
    Were you able to solve it? The shared PCI-e lane is on M.2_1, the one closest to the GPU slot 1. I have an 970 EVO installed on M.2_2 and the video output is ramdonly assigned between onboard and 970GTX, even if the bios is set to PCIe priority.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Enderwiggin03 PC Specs
    Enderwiggin03 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 9900k @ 5.1Ghz on all 8 cores 1.355v
    Memory (part number)F4-4266C19D-16GTZR @ 4000Mhz CL16-17-17-35 1.45v
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra
    Sound CardCreative Sound Blaster X AE-5
    MonitorASUS VG248QE
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Evo 500GB m.2
    Storage #2Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SATA
    CPU CoolerEVGA CLC280 with 4x NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM (push/pull)fans
    CaseFractal Design R6
    Power SupplyEVGA G3 1000w
    Keyboard Logitech G513 Carbon
    Mouse Logitech G703
    Mouse Pad Logitech Poweplay
    OS Windows 10 Home x64

Strange, I'm running an EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra in the same board with a 970 Evo in the m.2_2 slot with no issues like described. Also, I thought slot 1 & 2 PCIE lanes were given to the CPU, while the m.2 lanes are ran by the Z390.

ROG Member Array Simon LeBon PC Specs
    Simon LeBon PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Strix z390-E Gaming
    ProcessorIntel i5-9600k
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG Strix GeForce® GTX 1060 O6G
    Sound CardOnboard/Motherboard
    MonitorDual Gateway FHD2400
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe
    Storage #2Buffalo Linkstation Pro Quad - 5.6 TB NAS
    CPU CoolerThermaltake Gravity i2
    CaseCorsair Carbide Series SPEC-03 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
    Power SupplyThermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 650W 80+ Gold Smart Zero
    Mouse Razer Naga Chroma
    OS Win 10 Pro x64

I am having this same issue. I have a 3 ASUS graphics cards.... GTX 750ti, GTX 950, and ROG Strix GTX 1060 OC6.

All three will each work (separately) without issue on my old Maximus Hero VII motherboard.

I recently purchased that latest video card (1060) with a new ROG Strix z390-E Gaming motherboard, i5-9600k, G.Skills RAM kit, and a Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD. Also picked up a brand new 650w PSU to take that out of equation .

I have the exact same problem in which the onboard video will always post without issue... and in fact the 750ti and 950 will also work on the new z390 board as well. HOWEVER the 1060 will not. EVER. It will always either error out (motherboard LEDs point to Graphics/VGA error) or if I use a display plugged into the motherboard graphics, I can get to windows but the 1060 will not even be recognized by windows. In fact if I use a display on motherboard with the 1060 plugged in... even the UEFI/BIOS will not recognize the 1060 is in a PCI-e slot (shows empty). All indicators on 1060 (fans and power led next to power connector) all show things are hooked up and working correctly.

So since I also have my M.2-1 slot being used... should I put my SSD into the M.2-2 slot instead (the one located not directly above the PCI-e-1 slot)?

I was concerned that either this is a compatibility issue that needed a BIOS update ... OR that possibly the ROG 1060 is so massive that it was not seating all the way because it was hitting the SATA double stacked plugs at the end of the motherboard? It's awful close.

I purchased a PCI-e riser kit today to take away the possibility of something not seating correctly... but I would rather not use it and just have it for another build in the future if needed.

I had this on another thread but looks like I found someone else who is having the same issue (finally)... I've built a number of PCs in my day but this has really got me stumped as I seem to be able to swap everything out and verify each part works... just never in the combination of the ROG 1060 and this new z390 motherboard.

So to summarize. All three video cards work as primary and secondary video on my old Maximus Hero VII motherboard. The 750ti and 950 will work on the new z390, but the 1060 will NEVER be recognized starting at UEFI/BIOS.
    Last edited by Simon LeBon; 12-20-2018 at 07:55 PM.

New ROGer Array

same problem. motherboard PRIME Z390-A, CPU 9600K, VGA GFX 750.*latest bios version installed.
    *I tried all options, including CSM, changed the Settings in the System agent. The card works only in 1 out of 10 cases and until the first reboot. The VGA signal is beeping, the LED VGA on the motherboard lights up. even after removing a VGA, the motherboard is almost always squeaking on a VGA. While the VGA GTX750 is not installed and the primary adapter is selected UHD 630 on the Core i5 9600K. For several days I tried to solve this problem until I saw this thread. I'm really looking forward to the next BIOS / UEFI update with a solution.

upd_1.
    updated BIOS to 0702. the problem remained. even without a discrete video card, the bios beeps. 1 long and 3 short beeps on boot.
    Last edited by obelovdmitry; 01-12-2019 at 04:05 PM. Reason: supplement after bios update

New ROGer Array

one more solution

If you are using an old video card read this:
    https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...MVElMjElMjE%3D

and fix it:
    https://www.nvidia.com/object/nv-uefi-update-x64.html

this util check your VGA & update them firmware if need.

this can be a successful solution

ROG Member Array Toffypops PC Specs
    Toffypops PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING, S-1151
    ProcessorIntel Core i9-9900K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3200MHz (4x8GB) CMR32GX4M4C3200C16W
    Graphics Card #1POWERCOLOR Radeon HD 7990 6GB
    Sound CardAsus Xonar DX 7.1
    Monitor3x ASUS VG278HE 144Hz
    Storage #1Intel 120GB ssd (system)
    Storage #2Samsung SSD 840 Pro
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    Power SupplyMIST 1000W
    Keyboard Microsoft Ergo 4000
    Mouse Logitech G402
    Headset Sennheiser PC 363D
    Headset/Speakers Logitech 5.1
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64BIT
    Accessory #1 Samsung 970 EVO 500GB x2 M2.NVM

Quote Originally Posted by Phillyflyer View Post
    2 motherboards and 2 different series cards resulting with the same issue ??....not the motherboard nor cards....
    Could be what Menthol has stated above or...try setting the card as main graphics within the bios and set @ Gen 3...worth trying as the graphics card should disable the onboard graphics automatically once installed.
    If I run my HD7990 alongside the built in HDMI Intel connected to monitor, the Intel Output comes up as a 4th screen and the other 3 screens attached to my ATI card. So I do not believe having a PCI card disables the onboard one, It only stops getting registered if you do not connect it to anything. (Strix z390-E Gaming)

ROG Member Array

0802 Bios seems to have solved my problem. Already restarted/turned on the PC at least 5 times and it went to the 970 GTX normally. No Bios setup needed.

Also did the Nvidia Firmware update, but it says its for Displayport and since Im using HDMI, dont think this is what solved it
    Last edited by Fenrir-Lima; 01-18-2019 at 06:55 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast