cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot run G.SKILL TridentZ F4-4266C19D-16GTZR on Asus Maximus Hero XI

dante_afk
Level 7
The board is specified for 4400+ OC. I cannot run the ram even on it's own specifications. XMP 1 and XMP 2 do not work. I can run it at 3600 but nothing above, it's stuck in a boot loop - reboots a couple of times and then it boots with safe mode settings DDR4-2066.

The sticks are in slots A2 and B2. SA/IO pumped up to 1.35 and DRAM voltage up to 1.5v - no difference.

Any suggestions?
22 REPLIES 22

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello mate would you do me a favour and tell me what BIOS you are running.

Reset your bios to defaults. F5 and enter.

Then could you try the following for me.

Remove one stick of ram. Attempt to set XMP profile with only one stick populating the ram slots. If successful, power down and add the other stick.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

gupsterg
Level 13
dante`afk wrote:
The board is specified for 4400+ OC. I cannot run the ram even on it's own specifications. XMP 1 and XMP 2 do not work. I can run it at 3600 but nothing above, it's stuck in a boot loop - reboots a couple of times and then it boots with safe mode settings DDR4-2066.

The sticks are in slots A2 and B2. SA/IO pumped up to 1.35 and DRAM voltage up to 1.5v - no difference.

Any suggestions?

Perhaps the RAM speed your after is the upper end of scale? It may need some manual tweaks due to IMC of CPU not being of "best silicon lottery roll"? As may have been used by RAM/Motherboard manufacturer; to determine their marketed equipment does do those speeds.

All the RAM speeds underlined in red are overclock speeds.

Regardless of motherboard/RAM used, the CPU manufacturer are not guaranteeing each and every CPU will reach that RAM MHz.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

btrach144
Level 7
The issue appears to be that you are using a non approved memory kit with your motherboard. F4-4266C19D-16GTZR is not listed on the Qualified Vendor List (QVL) for the XI Hero.

Neither ASUS or G.Skill lists each other as being compatible with either product.

G.Skill only lists the XI Genie as being compatible with the F4-4266C19D-16GTZR kit. https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-4266c19d-16gtzr(look under QVL

ASUS does not list any two stick memory kit for 4226 MHz speeds (which is interesting because normally 4 sticks is more demanding?). To see their approved memory kits, go here.https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO/E14809_ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO_UM_V2_W...

Just because they say the board supports up to 4400MHz does not mean that it supports all memory kits. Only approved memory kits are supported up to that speed. The more demanding the memory, the closer you need to stick to only using QVL memory kits.

gupsterg
Level 13
I don't believe it is "QVL" issue. Personally I have found instances where you can say find RAM on mobo manufacturers QVL, but not on RAM manufacturers QVL. So which is right? It also seems after xyz company publishes QVL they rarely do updates.

Then some manufacturers of RAM can go about changing RAM ICs, sticking to same model/product number and the RAM IC could be one which is not favourable to the "setup".

Plenty of times also seen people buy items on QVL and not gain what they thought they would. So more so the problem is CPU IMC not being capable. End users expect max frequency to be "plug an play" as they bought x to use with y.

Best bet is OP find out what RAM IC is on kit, mostly likely is Samsung B die. Which is a favourable IC to have. Spend a bit of time tinkering to eek the best from his HW.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

dante_afk
Level 7
Thanks for the replies. I'm running bios 0506 and these are samsung B-Dies.

Indeed this kit is not on the approved QVL list, but as gupsterg said above, I had plenty of board were kits that were not on the list would run.

@Raja any chance a bios update would fix this?

I mean I can't even run 3600 as stated above, which is not a high frequency.

dante`afk wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm running bios 0506 and these are samsung B-Dies.

Indeed this kit is not on the approved QVL list, but as gupsterg said above, I had plenty of board were kits that were not on the list would run.

@Raja any chance a bios update would fix this?

I mean I can't even run 3600 as stated above, which is not a high frequency.

What other forum members are starting has validity....if both the motherboard and memory manufacture have difference as to QVL...safe bet is to purchase memory that is QVL from both as to not encounter any issues....please keep in mind that DDR 4 is not as forgiving as DDR 3 was.
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

HiVizMan
Level 40
Dante do you have other sticks of ram that you could test the IMC of your CPU out with please.

I don't think the QVL makes any real difference at the end of the day. I have used ram for benching on motherboards that were not even produced when the ram was manufactured and it has worked perfectly. QVL merely tells us which sticks have been specifically tested on that motherboard. It is imposible for vendors to test all ram on all motherboards.

IMC however is something we CAN NOT legislate for sadly.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

chevell65
Level 12
Best you can do with that board using a 2x8 kit- GSkill RGB is 4133Mhz latency 17's. https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-4133c17d-16gtzr
No body ever checks the QVL but's it's right there. GSkill has already done the testing for you.

dante_afk
Level 7
hmpf 😞 nope dont' have another kit...need to buy I guess....but could a bios update not address that?